Free degree for the retired

I’ve got the Chanag book on my kindle, along with about 80 others…one day.

I know economics isn’t a hard science. I chat with an Cambridge economics grad and his standard comment is get two economists in the same room, ask the same question and get three different answers :wink:

truckyboy:
Great response folks…but i did a bit of research yesterday, and it put me on a downer…seems that to enter the scheme, most unis want a minimum 4 GCEs…whatever they are, i ahvnt got one let alone 4, so its only for those with brains…not truck drivers…is that a case for discrimination ■■ :smiley: :smiley: might have to do a bit more research lol.

If you’re serious about learning then look at The Open University. Why do Unis specify minimum qualifications? Would you think it a good use of funds to try to teach someone to run when they can’t walk? One step at a time.

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

Or if you aren’t actually intending to use the learning to get work, try a MOOC (Massive Open Online Course).

Coursera or FutureLearn are the most well known, but there are others.

Franglais:

truckyboy:
Great response folks…but i did a bit of research yesterday, and it put me on a downer…seems that to enter the scheme, most unis want a minimum 4 GCEs…whatever they are, i ahvnt got one let alone 4, so its only for those with brains…not truck drivers…is that a case for discrimination ■■ :smiley: :smiley: might have to do a bit more research lol.

If you’re serious about learning then look at The Open University. Why do Unis specify minimum qualifications? Would you think it a good use of funds to try to teach someone to run when they can’t walk? One step at a time.

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

Most colleges and universities understand that for one reason or another people didn’t achieve their full potential when they went to school and are very helpful to those that have the commitment to try again, so I don’t think the minimum qualifications always apply to mature students, well didn’t apply to myself or the other mature students when I enrolled in an HND course many years ago, but we did have to take a basic maths and literacy test and a bit of an interview.

There are also foundation courses to help people who fall short of the requirements for entry, to gain enough knowledge to let them do them do the course at a later date.

My main advice to anybody who has been out of education and who also probably never went to college or university, is don’t expect to be spoon fed information like you were at school.

We were given our first assignment in our second lecture, everybody was thinking they haven’t taught us any of this, but that was the point, you get the basic information and guidance or hints on how to get further information in the lecture, you go and research it yourself to complete the assignment. I seem to recall we only had 16 hours of lectures a week, but I also remember being at college pretty much full-time and working at home late into the night and doing a fair bit of truck driving to keep the bills paid, I also found driving seemed to give my mind a chance to get things straight in my mind, it made starting an assignment far easier than staring at a blank piece of paper hoping for inspiration.

The other thing is after driving a truck for a few years, the first couple of weeks at college it felt like my brain had turned to mush, just couldn’t get into learning mode, but that did come, it was a bit like exercising after not doing so for a few years. :laughing:

There is a lot of intelligent debate on this forum, along with some “other” stuff. There is no reason for not trying to improve your life chances, and working towards a degree would be one of them. I studied for the R.Y.A. Yachtmaster Qualification about 20 years ago,partly to exercise my brain as my job at the time was boring and repetitive.With the on-line course materials you could study whilst waiting to be tipped etc.

The online course is ok for some, but i want to study music and learn the guitar, which in my mind is a lot easier than online, as i cant ask a computer a question as i go along, or a computer cant show me where i`m going wrong, I have a bit of time on my hands and thought it might be a good idea to get a one to one opportunity, albeit a class full of us led zeppelins, Eric Claptons for the next generation to enjoy, and wont have to pay for it…well i have to take out a student loan, but with the regulations, i wont have to pay it back as i wont earn the minimum of £21 grand ( £25 grand from April )…as i am a pensioner…so to speak.my only worry is if i pop my clogs, will the debt be passed onto my wife…someone already said NO, it dies with me…

You would find a lot of useful content on youtube about guitars and music in general. I am following up with my accordion and wish that the internet was there 50 years ago.