Fred Dibnah heritage centre closing

Notimetoulouse:
ask a yoof of today to wire a plug up or change a fuse or change a flat tyre and they will look at you funny and reach for a smartphone ap to get somone out to do it for them at ruinous expence

NOT ALL THE YOOF

My two are practical and hard working. My boy at 20 is pulling £31k doing HVAC, my daughter is still at school but earns £300 month working in shops. Both were driving around fields at 10. Both had paper rounds.

No one will knock on your door and bring you money… (Sir Alex.)

fredthered:
Unfortunately the yoof of today generally have no interest in their heritage or history hence we need to be members of some club or other to fit in. To be British and proud of your past is not cool!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

…Especially if it’s old-school science and engineering rather than arty-■■■■■ diversity crap that strangely doesn’t get grants if you’re northern and white male in particular. :unamused: :frowning:

“D’ya lahrk That?” I did actually. RIP Fred. :neutral_face:

Good old Fred,a fine yeoman of old and no mistake.I always gravitated to Jack Hargreaves with his wonderful rural ramblings,Fred was a sage of industry and machinery a field that contrasted glaringly with the bucolic meanderings of old Jack.All those country crafts and unusual implements,i found deeply enthralling.Bit of a curmudgeon at times but i heartily recommend dvds of his very watchable-‘Old Country’ and ‘Out of town’ tv series from the seventies,available it seems mostly in garden centres.The Jack Hargreaves revival is long overdue.

Winseer:

fredthered:
Unfortunately the yoof of today generally have no interest in their heritage or history hence we need to be members of some club or other to fit in. To be British and proud of your past is not cool!

…Especially if it’s old-school science and engineering rather than arty-■■■■■ diversity crap that strangely doesn’t get grants if you’re northern and white male in particular. :unamused: :frowning:

“D’ya lahrk That?” I did actually. RIP Fred. :neutral_face:

I’ll just say that maybe natural curiosity is the missing thing. Fred Dibnah always made me curious so sparked an interest in how and why. No philosophy needed!

Having read this thread I booked a visit to the Fred Dibnah heritage centre for today. All I can say is it was worth every penny and more. The host was welcoming, funny and knowledgeable. To anybody considering it, do it soon before it’s lost for ever.