France advice request from a journalist

Franglais:
How about Laurent Pellier? With Blue River (Ro reg) units under some of his trailers I daresay there would some interesting conversations to be had there? Maybe not with Head Office, but with their drivers? And given the topic of your proposed research and article, XPO not playing ball is no great shock, as they are already deep into EE registeted vehicles.
The smaller companies may be a bit more vocal about any problems?

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

Are you sure . I’ve seen Blue River under Mesguen trailers but nothing but French units under Laurent Pelliet trailers in the Uk and in France .

I stand to be corrected .

OwenMoney:

Franglais:
How about Laurent Pellier? With Blue River (Ro reg) units under some of his trailers I daresay there would some interesting conversations to be had there? Maybe not with Head Office, but with their drivers? And given the topic of your proposed research and article, XPO not playing ball is no great shock, as they are already deep into EE registeted vehicles.
The smaller companies may be a bit more vocal about any problems?

Are you sure . I’ve seen Blue River under Mesguen trailers but nothing but French units under Laurent Pelliet trailers in the Uk and in France .

I stand to be corrected .

You’re right. My error.
I see both companies around ferry ports and mixed up.

switchlogic:
XPO has the biggest owned fleet in Europe. Less than 2,000 trucks doesn’t really make them the biggest anything. Large and impressive company certainly but with revenues at less than half that of XPO Europe it’s not the biggest. I think you may need to back that statevent up with figure if you want to convince me otherwise

That’s a rather simplistic interpretation of statistics Luke. As my friend in Normandy was talking about fridge operations I added that STEF was the largest in Europe, and this is completely true. XPO is the big one in terms of mixed operations: dry freight boxes, tankers, curtainsiders, reefers, and so on, but STEF is the European leader in temperature controlled transport and logistics. If you can produce figures to the contrary for XPO’s activity in this sector I’m sure me, our sales force, senior management, etc would be interested to see them so they can modify our client presentations and other literature. By contrast here’s how we finished 2016: stef.com/espace-financier/in … tre-2016-1

Incidentally, you quoted vehicle numbers from 2014/2015. During this period our vehicle parc grew by more than 25% overnight in January with the takeover of Ebrex France, and in due course we divested those vehicles to return the number back to the 2,000 mark (actually it’s little over that at present as the firm continues to expand into new areas). Quoting vehicle numbers is fairly pointless, unless you’re trying to attract a tender from a tyre supplier or suchlike, it predominantly shows how much capital a firm has ■■■■■■■ in paying for hardware, it’s not a solid indicator of market presence. We subcontract at a ratio of approximately 2:1, meaning around 4,000 extra vehicles at our constant disposal, from firms like Lauqué in the southwest or JLG in Brittany. In addition we backload partners such as Peter Green every working day. If we required every truck transporting STEF pallets this morning to wear our livery the roads would feature a lot more blue circles than those currently displayed.

Just as an observation about your ‘middle-sized’ comment, I’m not sure that a firm owning the Meridionale ferry line, or holding significant stakes in Primever and Olano really fits into that category, but that’s just semantics. Personally, as long as I get a reasonable sum in my bank account at the end of the month, a nice profit sharing bonus, a decent healthcare package plus a company Christmas party for our kids it’s not going to keep me awake at night worrying about such things. All the best.

~ Craig

pierrot 14:
Bonsoir Craig, how are you? Not seen you on here for a while

Bonjour mon ami, ça gaz? Doing well mate, hope you are too? I keep my eye on the forums but rarely have time to do anything other than browse. Who are you working for now, still turning a wheel for Lerosey?

Craig 111:

switchlogic:
XPO has the biggest owned fleet in Europe. Less than 2,000 trucks doesn’t really make them the biggest anything. Large and impressive company certainly but with revenues at less than half that of XPO Europe it’s not the biggest. I think you may need to back that statevent up with figure if you want to convince me otherwise

That’s a rather simplistic interpretation of statistics Luke. As my friend in Normandy was talking about fridge operations I added that STEF was the largest in Europe, and this is completely true. XPO is the big one in terms of mixed operations: dry freight boxes, tankers, curtainsiders, reefers, and so on, but STEF is the European leader in temperature controlled transport and logistics. If you can produce figures to the contrary for XPO’s activity in this sector I’m sure me, our sales force, senior management, etc would be interested to see them so they can modify our client presentations and other literature. By contrast here’s how we finished 2016: stef.com/espace-financier/in … tre-2016-1

Incidentally, you quoted vehicle numbers from 2014/2015. During this period our vehicle parc grew by more than 25% overnight in January with the takeover of Ebrex France, and in due course we divested those vehicles to return the number back to the 2,000 mark (actually it’s little over that at present as the firm continues to expand into new areas). Quoting vehicle numbers is fairly pointless, unless you’re trying to attract a tender from a tyre supplier or suchlike, it predominantly shows how much capital a firm has ■■■■■■■ in paying for hardware, it’s not a solid indicator of market presence. We subcontract at a ratio of approximately 2:1, meaning around 4,000 extra vehicles at our constant disposal, from firms like Lauqué in the southwest or JLG in Brittany. In addition we backload partners such as Peter Green every working day. If we required every truck transporting STEF pallets this morning to wear our livery the roads would feature a lot more blue circles than those currently displayed.

Just as an observation about your ‘middle-sized’ comment, I’m not sure that a firm owning the Meridionale ferry line, or holding significant stakes in Primever and Olano really fits into that category, but that’s just semantics. Personally, as long as I get a reasonable sum in my bank account at the end of the month, a nice profit sharing bonus, a decent healthcare package plus a company Christmas party for our kids it’s not going to keep me awake at night worrying about such things. All the best.

~ Craig

Clearly a mix up. I wasn’t talking about specific sectors, I was talking generally.

switchlogic:
Clearly a mix up. I wasn’t talking about specific sectors, I was talking generally.

No worries bud, internet forums seem to be the home of misunterstandings

Craig 111:

switchlogic:

No worries bud, internet forums seem to be the home of misunterstandings

Well that’s one sorted out! I do actually admire STEF, I hope it didn’t come across as putting them down. I’m in and out of various STEF depots regularly and it always seems well run…which is more than can be said for many XPO depots!

Journal1:
Hi – I’m a journalist at Bloomberg. I’m working on a story about the concerns and problems of French truck drivers ahead of the presidential election. Planning to do the story by just talking to as many drivers as I can there, and persuading one or more to take me along with them on the road. I was hoping some of you who drive to or through France might be able to offer a little advice on two things:

First, where would I find the service stops where I am most likely to find multiple French truck drivers stopping to eat or sleep, so they have time to talk, and are there days of the week that are better for that? This would be on on a trip from Calais to Lyon, and on to Marseilles or Perpignan. I’ll also detour to Clermont-Ferrand, to meet an ex-French para whose a drivers’ union leader there.

Secondly, with regard to driving in the cab, I know there are insurance issues, so any advice on how to improve my chances that drivers would say yes?

The kinds of questions I’m interested in asking them, just to be transparent about what I’m up to, are what they call “cabotage” – the right of (mostly Eastern European) drivers to work in France, competing for business and jobs from a lower cost base. Also, is being in the EU a net plus or minus for them as drivers? Issues with harrassment by immigrants trying to stow away into the UK, mostly around Calais (but that’s mostly solved now?) Are they worried for the future by driverless technologies? Why do French radio stations still play Boney M and Chic so often? :unamused: And who eats Andouillette? Things like that.

My name, btw, is Marc Champion. If you have any other ideas about whom to talk to or what to do to get at a story about how French truck drivers feel about the election choice between Marine Le Pen (for Frexit, against immigration), and Macron (pro-EU, pro-market), please don’t hold back. Grateful for any and all advice. In particular, thank you to DieselDave for kindly agreeing to let me post this on your forum. I’ll post a link to the story on here when it is published.

All the best, Marc

This post is OK’ed by dd.

I love a good sausage but they’re definitely not on any shopping list of mine! I look forward to your article appearing here. Bon chance!

TiredAndEmotional:

Journal1:
Hi – I’m a journalist at Bloomberg. I’m working on a story about the concerns and problems of French truck drivers ahead of the presidential election. Planning to do the story by just talking to as many drivers as I can there, and persuading one or more to take me along with them on the road. I was hoping some of you who drive to or through France might be able to offer a little advice on two things:

First, where would I find the service stops where I am most likely to find multiple French truck drivers stopping to eat or sleep, so they have time to talk, and are there days of the week that are better for that? This would be on on a trip from Calais to Lyon, and on to Marseilles or Perpignan. I’ll also detour to Clermont-Ferrand, to meet an ex-French para whose a drivers’ union leader there.

Secondly, with regard to driving in the cab, I know there are insurance issues, so any advice on how to improve my chances that drivers would say yes?

The kinds of questions I’m interested in asking them, just to be transparent about what I’m up to, are what they call “cabotage” – the right of (mostly Eastern European) drivers to work in France, competing for business and jobs from a lower cost base. Also, is being in the EU a net plus or minus for them as drivers? Issues with harrassment by immigrants trying to stow away into the UK, mostly around Calais (but that’s mostly solved now?) Are they worried for the future by driverless technologies? Why do French radio stations still play Boney M and Chic so often? :unamused: And who eats Andouillette? Things like that.

My name, btw, is Marc Champion. If you have any other ideas about whom to talk to or what to do to get at a story about how French truck drivers feel about the election choice between Marine Le Pen (for Frexit, against immigration), and Macron (pro-EU, pro-market), please don’t hold back. Grateful for any and all advice. In particular, thank you to DieselDave for kindly agreeing to let me post this on your forum. I’ll post a link to the story on here when it is published.

All the best, Marc

This post is OK’ed by dd.

I love a good sausage but they’re definitely not on any shopping list of mine! I look forward to your article appearing here. Bon chance!

With a mustard sauce? Lovely. Old work mate used to love em too. He called them chitterlings. They seem to have kept that name in the USA, although I cant speak from experience there.

Craig 111:

pierrot 14:

Bonjour mon ami, ça gaz? Doing well mate, hope you are too? I keep my eye on the forums but rarely have time to do anything other than browse. Who are you working for now, still turning a wheel for Lerosey?

Not now did a couple of stints for them on CDD. Good employers.

Joining your mob as of next Monday out of the Vire depot. Had a meeting with Lea in HR last week and she said that she would take me on as “interime” at first, then if everything goes well CDD till September with a prospect of CDI after that. Got one week with another driver to show me the ins and outs of how things are done, then after that on my own doing the UK. Looking forward to it. :slight_smile:
Be nice to bump into you one day, (figuratively speaking of course)

Re Original Post:

French Drivers are a bit scarce on Dover-Calais these days are are not overly effected by Stowaways etc. Lots of French drivers in Rungis, large forwarders industrial areas and airport cargo by day though.

There is a significant presence in French industry of re-flagging transport operations or just personnel/payroll to EE to reduce what I would call modest wage even further so as to get one step ahead of the competition, so the race to the bottom has started.

Insurance must cover amount of seats fitted to truck so no real problem there but beware of contacting a company for permission as you may well just get a driver chosen to reflect managements perspective only.

As said French drivers are in the routiers at meal time and if you are not familiar once dinner/lunch is eaten, they proceed to the bar to have the coffee. This is your oppertunity.
Get up the bar early and don’t be shy about buying a few café’s etc and a good discussion should be had.

The EU principles are mostly fine, it’s the reflagging by West European companies to undermine local working and social conditions that is the problem.
A TUPE style regulation is what’s required to prohibit this and not another bunch of Iron Curtains.

Have a good trip.

pierrot 14:

Craig 111:

pierrot 14:

Not now did a couple of stints for them on CDD. Good employers.

Joining your mob as of next Monday out of the Vire depot. Had a meeting with Lea in HR last week and she said that she would take me on as “interime” at first, then if everything goes well CDD till September with a prospect of CDI after that. Got one week with another driver to show me the ins and outs of how things are done, then after that on my own doing the UK. Looking forward to it. :slight_smile:
Be nice to bump into you one day, (figuratively speaking of course)

Excellent news pardner, hope it all goes well. Be interested to hear what you make of the job. Vire depot seems well run, the kit is well-kept, and you’ll be the only Brit driver on UK work so you’ll already have an advantage.

Bon route collegue :sunglasses:

Craig

Hello,
Didn’t you like Lerosey / Malherbe ?
So Vire are doing the UK work that used to be done by Rennes International depot before it was closed ?
Philippe (the boss at Rennes ) bought STT at Mayenne and has a couple of fridges there (STT Frigo).
Hope it works out for you .
Owen

OwenMoney:
Hello,
So Vire are doing the UK work that used to be done by Rennes International depot before it was closed ?
Philippe (the boss at Rennes ) bought STT at Mayenne and has a couple of fridges there (STT Frigo).
Owen

Yes, enjoyed Lerosey very much, but was only on a CDD contract as a replacement driver through the holiday periods. I know that they are part of the Malherbe group, but they work quite independently from them.
STEF Vire have been doing the UK work for quite a long time, friend of mine who retired about 3,4 years ago was going there for over 10 years.

Well if it’s any good please let me know .I am looking to change firm’s this year .

OwenMoney:
Hello,
Owen

As Pierrot says Vire has been sending trucks over to the UK for donkeys’ years, predominantly for les Messageries Laitieres, whilst Rennes Inter was doing the general groupage stuff to UK, and most everywhere else - work that was previously done by Vannes until too many strikes put paid to that.

Aside from the 20 or so trucks going over the Channel full-time I hear that Vire does a bit to Benelux and Italy too, and STEF Langres (the old Oertli firm) does Germany and Benelux. Vire also has a fair few trucks out-based, in Lyon, Bordeaux, Valence, here in Agen, and elsewhere. We used to have other French depots running to Greece, Spain and even Morocco but that’s pretty much all subbed out. STEF-TFE used to be in the UK also but that’s all been sold off to DFDS while we took over their business at Boulogne . . . times change :frowning:

What’s left of STEF international Rennes had moved to the new Depot at Chateaubourg. But all the drivers and most of the office staff have gone to STT and they are doing some international work for Vire. TFE was a good company but the change to STEF seemed to make them greedy.

So Pierrot, what’s it like doing UK with a French truck? STEF keeping you busy I hope?

Did you hear that one of Vire’s trucks went over on the A84 last week? Thankfully the driver wasn’t too badly hurt from what I gather

ouest-france.fr/normandie/ca … 1491808170

~Craig

Yeah, all good Craig. They do love the paperwork don’t they ?!!! :confused: :confused: :cry: :cry:

My first trip, I was doubled up with another driver for a changeover at STEF les Essarts (89), just to show me the ins and outs, paperwork, on board computer thingy, dieseling up procedure on return etc., was supposed to be with him for a couple of days but on Tuesday they let me out on my own, did a changeover this time at Amiens, next trip a delivery to System-U in Fontenay-le-Compte, night out and return with Euros, Friday all local.
Was supposed to be doing France for a couple of weeks but Monday they said I was over the water. They are short of drivers for the UK, due to a lot of retirements, so getting an English speaking person with knowledge of the UK was a Godsend for them I think.
So Mon night ferry to P’mouth del Tuesday Poole and Westbury, reload pallets, back on the ferry, Weds am swap trailers in Ouistreham port with another driver, bit of local collections, over to STEF Rouen, swap trailers and back to Vire. Thurs was a trip down to Bordeaux for a fri am tip at Auchan, n/out then return to Vire with a collection on the way.

I don’t know if you deal with the office staff at Vire that much but I’ve found them, along with the drivers there to be really friendly and helpful.

Well, nipping back in here just now after some time away, I saw this thread and thought - ‘here’s one for me’. :laughing:

Then I read on and it’s all been said, about the routiers and French drivers’ habits. Can’t add anything really so what else was there? Oh yes, andouilettes. :unamused:

It is the only thing that I would not choose to eat. However, I do love the diminishing number of routiers that serve only one menu, no choice, and so far have not been upset by what I got.

But, one night, a couple of years ago I dragged myself to the top of Volvic running dangerously close to the magic 19H, and saw to my joy a routier on the right with a truck park just up the road on the other side. I duly went in, finished a leisurely kir and joined the others at the table.

No choice, andouillette, my heart sank, but my stomach said ‘man up and press on’ . I did, with trepidation and soon the steaming dish arrived. It looked and smelled disgusting. But I was hungry and pressed on, the first cut went in and the smell got worse. I looked at my fellow diners and they were all digging in with gusto. So I took the first mouthfull. The taste was no better than the smell, the second was little better, but by the third, not being dead, and still being hungry, it didn’t seem so bad. I finished it all and, though I admit it was quite good…I’ll never order it again. :frowning:

But then I didn’t order it this time, it was forced upon me in a manner of speaking, and I wouldn’t knock it back in similar circumstances. But a choice? Certainly not.

Bon appetit, Marc, et bonnes conversations. :wink: :slight_smile:

BTW Craig still scanning the white Premiums but so far still ‘long time no see’.
Also, did you know that Chez Jo’s is no more? I’ll post it in the routier thread if no-one else has.