Footbridge demolished by overheight truck at M6 J26, Orrell

An over-height truck has hit and knocked down a footbridge over the link road between the roundabout at M6 J26 and the A577 at Orrell, this afternoon.

Looking at the photos, which were posted by Highways England on Twitter, It looks to have been a four-axle rigid with large loading crane belonging to Diamond H Transport.

Diamond H Transport SN16DLF by Harry’s On The Road Truck Photos, on Flickr

It looks like the crane was left extended over the container, instead of being folded away, either deliberately to save time or accidentally.

Stupid bridge should of got out of the way.

adam277:

That will teach it - won’t do that again.

If only the idiots had made it arched.

Unmarked bridge. Flatbed with what looks like a standard 20ft box (not a highcube). Something isn’t adding up there… unless it was the crane that ■■■■■■■ the bridge, but on a 16 plate motor that crane would have had all sorts of alarms and bells going off if it wasn’t stowed correctly, if not brake interlocks.

TNCSI required! :confused:

Oh dear. Bet the driver is on foot now!

Maybe a new candidate for Stobrats?

Assuming it was driver error that is, unless it was something stupid like an electrical fault caused the crane to rise up mod travel of course.

But somehow I doubt it was the fault of the crane.

I supposed you could say “it’s a bridge too far” or too low in this case.

adam277:

Maybe it was an autonomous bridge and thought the best option was to stay still.

Must have forgot to stow away the crane. Bridge, Lorry, and Load wrecked. Insurance bill half a million at the very least.

No half measures there, job well done… :stuck_out_tongue:

Lorry and bridge wrecked a job well done :smiley:

Bridge over the river pie.

Crane doesn’t look as if it’s stowed properly behind the cab, so assume it was in the air. Photo suggests it was the crane that hit the bridge.

Bet that woke him up!
Lucky no one was one the bridge or he’d be looking at a long stay @ HMP

bald bloke:
Lorry and bridge wrecked a job well done :smiley:

:laughing:

Your only going one junction, don’t waste time taking your chains off and folding the crane away, time is money [emoji383][emoji14]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guess that’s one bridge height restriction that we don’t need to worry about now.
If your gonna hit a bridge at least total the thing don’t get wedged under it. I can’t see them fixing/rebuilding that :laughing:

It looks like the crane was left on top of the box instead of being stowed. :open_mouth:

Another shining example of professionalism :laughing:

From this photo it does look like maybe the crane was too high. Just checked Google maps, no height restriction shown.