Food for thought Brexiters

Who are the ‘Thought Police’ by the way Dave?

They sound a bit scary. Good luck to them trying to make sense of mine though.

Very sad that you seem to be taking my post’s in a light hearted fashion, it is very obvious you are not that clued up, you have racially abused me and I’ve offered a compromise to sort the situation out, but you don’t seem to be taking it seriously, so I’ll offer one more chance for you to save face, I want to see an apology come through to my private message inbox shortly, if not well on your head be it, you never know you might get a visit from the ‘Thought Police’ believe me they are real and you can thank our traitorous parliament for bringing them into fruition because it’s much easier to arrest and convict people for their thoughts than chase real criminals and that is the left wing fascism of EU MAFIA for you to contemplate.

Regards
Dave Penn;

Not wishing to ■■■■ on your bonfire Dave but you’ve got zero chance of the thought police acting on behalf of (I presume?) a white, heterosexualand British born male.

davepenn54:
Very sad that you seem to be taking my post’s in a light hearted fashion, it is very obvious you are not that clued up, you have racially abused me and I’ve offered a compromise to sort the situation out, but you don’t seem to be taking it seriously, so I’ll offer one more chance for you to save face, I want to see an apology come through to my private message inbox shortly, if not well on your head be it, you never know you might get a visit from the ‘Thought Police’ believe me they are real and you can thank our traitorous parliament for bringing them into fruition because it’s much easier to arrest and convict people for their thoughts than chase real criminals and that is the left wing fascism of EU MAFIA for you to contemplate.

Regards
Dave Penn;

Regards again Dave.

Ok, I’ll take you seriously.
You are (according to your profile on here) a retired HGV Driver from West Yorkshire.
I am not personally enjoying the luxury of retirement, still got a few years to work. Only a few years behind you though, but, unfortunately, needs must, got to keep on earning.

Now, about this racism nonsense.

I shouldn’t be jumping to conclusions (very dangerous on social media), but I’m assuming that as a retired HGV driver from Yorkshire you are white, Anglo Saxon, dyed in the wool Yorkshire. If not from Yorkshire then somewhere equally white and Anglo Saxon.
I’m from Scotland myself, but still white and Anglo Saxon. So where does the racism come in?
There are nutjobs up here that hate the English, nutjobs down your way that say derogatory things about Scots, Welsh, Irish . . . whatever. It’s usually said in context and there’s no offence taken. Because it’s not racist. It’s regional Dave. You know? Yorkshire v Lancashire? Leeds v Man Utd?, even England v Scotland if you want.

But to be accused of racism for calling you a ‘gammon’ is not racism.
Do you get that Dave?
Can you see the difference between belittling someone because of their natural skin colour, or the shape of their eyes, or their cultural background, compared to creating some drama-queen offence about the colour of your skin when you rant?
It’s not a race issue Dave, ‘gammons’ are called gammons for a reason, and it’s actually funny, as in laugh out loud comical.

By the way, your formatting is appalling. Learn how to use commas and full stops.

I know maoster, I just keep forgetting I’m one of the forgotten majority :laughing: :wink:

Regards

hkloss1:
Concern over food safety as US seeks greater access to UK markets

US sets out aims for post-Brexit trade deal amid fears about chicken and beef standards

The US has outlined its objectives for a post-Brexit trade deal with the UK, demanding greater access to the food markets where products such as chlorinated chicken or hormone-fed beef are banned under EU rules.

Chlorinated chicken explained. As you can see, US-produced chicken is safer than eu-standard chicken, and is considered safe by EFSA.

thegrocer.co.uk/food-safety … 18.article

Yet more “Project Fear”.

Harry Monk:

hkloss1:

US sets out aims for post-Brexit trade deal amid fears about chicken and beef standards

The US has outlined its objectives for a post-Brexit trade deal with the UK, demanding greater access to the food markets where products such as chlorinated chicken or hormone-fed beef are banned under EU rules.

Chlorinated chicken explained. As you can see, US-produced chicken is safer than eu-standard chicken, and is considered safe by EFSA.

Yet more “Project Fear”.

I’m sure that they’d be more than happy with a deal which allows McDonalds for example to use the same US beef and chicken supplies that it uses at home and which removes EU type approval restrictions and tariff barriers on US manufacturing imports.Bearing in mind that we can already buy US imported beef and cars etc as EU members anyway.

Oh wait it’s so much better to go on with the status quo of Brit jobs for EU workers in the form of free movement and a massive trade deficit while paying the EU a fortune for the privilege.While imposing silly restrictions on the US with which we have a trade surplus thereby endangering a lucrative mutually beneficial relationship.They couldn’t make it up.

Well I’ve thought long and hard about this and I just can’t take how much the this forum has changed, in fact the whole of TNUK has altered so in light of all these changes I’ve had to consult with my senior flouncing instructor and I’ve practised some flouncing techniques and I think its time I sat back in my comfy armchair and slowly but surely slipped away, I’m leaving, I know I’ve been a quality contributor over the last 11 years and I know I will be missed by many so I now think its time for me FLOUNCE straight off my keyboard and go to bed and i’ll see yous all tomorrow, oh wow I suppose I’ve changed mind halfway through writing this so now it’s good news for everyone I’m not flouncing out the door I’m flouncing back in the front door, I know, I know some of you might of got a bit upset but everything is A OK now and thanks to everyone for persuading me to stay it is really appreciated :open_mouth: :unamused: :wink:

Regards in Flouncering
Dave Penn;

Harry Monk:

hkloss1:

Yet more “Project Fear”.

That article in The Grocer also stated that “EU chicken typically has 15 to 20% salmonella”, according to an Adam Smitth Institute report. WTF?
I’m struggling to get to grips with that.
Leaving that aside, other reasons the US can produce cheaper meats is because of different welfare standards for animals.
Irwin be fair for our UK farmers to have to compete on a different set of rules of we allow US imports of course.
Post Brexit maybe we could abandon EU rules on sizes of chicken cages etc and produce cheaper meat ourselves. Raise pigs in easy clean pens; keep chickens in smaller cages so we can compete on a level playing field with the US.
Allow veal crates again? How cheap do we want our meat to be?

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

Franglais:

Harry Monk:

hkloss1:

Yet more “Project Fear”.

That article in The Grocer also stated that “EU chicken typically has 15 to 20% salmonella”, according to an Adam Smitth Institute report. WTF?
Leaving that aside, other reasons the US can produce cheaper meats is because of different welfare standards for animals.
Irwin be fair for our UK farmers to have to compete on a different set of rules of we allow US imports of course.
Post Brexit maybe we could abandon EU rules on sizes of chicken cages etc and produce cheaper meat ourselves. Raise pigs in easy clean pens; keep chickens in smaller cages so we can compete on a level playing field with the US.

To be fair animal welfare standards are set higher in the UK than most EU countries and are above the EU average hence why our pig farming collapsed in the 80’s and moved to countries with lower standards primarily Denmark which of course also abides by EU animal welfare standards so there isn’t even a level playing field within the EU

Mazzer2:

Franglais:

Harry Monk:

hkloss1:

Yet more “Project Fear”.

To be fair animal welfare standards are set higher in the UK than most EU countries and are above the EU average hence why our pig farming collapsed in the 80’s and moved to countries with lower standards primarily Denmark which of course also abides by EU animal welfare standards so there isn’t even a level playing field within the EU

That is a very valid point.
So what would happen to our beef and poultry production IF we were to start free trade with countries with even lower standards?
Michael Gove has promised no dropping of standards. The US ambassador has been quite clear about their opposition to “non tariff barriers” in any future deals. So that’ll be welfare, growth hormones, antibiotic use, all under discussion. And yes, there is a lot of nonsense talked about these issues, but there are some serious points to be considered too.

Edit. Piece on BBC R4 World At One approx 40min in about this.

Franglais:

Mazzer2:

So what would happen to our beef and poultry production IF we were to start free trade with countries with even lower standards?
Michael Gove has promised no dropping of standards. The US ambassador has been quite clear about their opposition to “non tariff barriers” in any future deals. So that’ll be welfare, growth hormones, antibiotic use, all under discussion. And yes, there is a lot of nonsense talked about these issues, but there are some serious points to be considered too.

How do you make the leap from the removal of tariff barriers to the removal of standards barriers.On that basis free trade without the imposition of tariffs and quotas based on equivalent standards isn’t rocket science.Nor is free trade in anyone’s interests when it creates such an imbalance that it wrecks the economy of either party.You know like the trading relationship between UK v Germany. :unamused:

Carryfast:

Franglais:

Mazzer2:

How do you make the leap from the removal of tariff barriers to the removal of standards barriers.On that basis free trade without the imposition of tariffs and quotas based on equivalent standards isn’t rocket science.Nor is free trade in anyone’s interests when it creates such an imbalance that it wrecks the economy of either party.You know like the trading relationship between UK v Germany. :unamused:

The US Ambassador was voicing the Washington view that the US standards are adequate, and so the UK would not be justified in refusing to import US products. Hence them being against non-tariff barriers on US produce.
If we want a Free Trade deal with the US their farmers will want us to accept their standards. Equal standards? Yes their standards. America first. And since they are the larger more powerful side, and we seem to be imposing barriers with our existing partners…

They couldn’t make it up!
What could possibly go wrong?
It’s not rocket science!

The Ambassador was live on Radio 4 this morning (Wed) and had an interesting perspective.

Franglais:

Carryfast:

The US Ambassador was voicing the Washington view that the US standards are adequate, and so the UK would not be justified in refusing to import US products. Hence them being against non-tariff barriers on US produce.
If we want a Free Trade deal with the US their farmers will want us to accept their standards. Equal standards? Yes their standards. America first. And since they are the larger more powerful side, and we seem to be imposing barriers with our existing partners…

They couldn’t make it up!
What could possibly go wrong?
It’s not rocket science!

The ‘ambassador’ is talking bollox because no matter how bleedin powerful they are they can’t actually force consumers here to buy stuff which they don’t want to buy.So they do it their way then try to flog it here and it gets left on the shelf.Which helps US exporters how in not only losing the revenue on the lost sales but also the wasted shipping costs.While as it stands how do you explain the existing trade in US meat exports if the US doesn’t want to make its exports suit the needs and expectations of the intended market.Just like I can buy a rhd Ford Mustang.As I said tariffs and quotas ain’t the same thing as standards.It’s not rocket science.

On that note the US was the ‘larger more powerful’ side in the 1930’s.Remind us how Ford’s Dagenham plant came into being in that case. Instead of just telling us to import Detroit made products take it or leave it.IE don’t judge US trade policy by selfish one sided Kraut standards.

BBC R4 this morning had a 5min piece on the US Ambassador’s stance. Fact Check largely agreed with you that Washington’s spokesman is talking bllx.

Comparing car production in the 30’s to today’s situation is pretty pointless IMHO.

As you also comment, customers aren’t forced to buy products they dont want. Mercedes and BMW seem quite happy about that.

Franglais:
BBC R4 this morning had a 5min piece on the US Ambassador’s stance. Fact Check largely agreed with you that Washington’s spokesman is talking bllx.

Comparing car production in the 30’s to today’s situation is pretty pointless IMHO.

As you also comment, customers aren’t forced to buy products they dont want. Mercedes and BMW seem quite happy about that.

Comparing the circumstances which brought Ford UK here is anything but ‘pointless’.In showing that the US will historically generally reciprocate in whatever way when given a fair but strong deal that’s in everyone’s interests ( unlike our post EU trading relationship with Germany ).

While it’s ironic that you seem to be agreeing that the EU’s trade policy is just a scam which really does effectively force UK buyers to buy German by taxing and regulating and limiting US exports out of the UK market for example.Nor do I see any moves from the US which say buy only US or else.Let alone making us subject to US Federal laws and a contributor to the Federal budget as a vassal 51st state.Unlike the conditions imposed on us as an EU member state.

So we tell the US ambassador yes we’ll import US agricultural products subject to current UK not EU standards and we’ll import US manufacturing products no longer subject to EU regulations,tariffs and quotas.What’s not to like from the point of view of US exporters and why would they turn it down.Oh wait the idea of the President of the most powerful Federation and Federal dictatorship on the planet supporting secession in Europe is an obvious oxymoron. :unamused:

Carryfast:
So we tell the US ambassador yes we’ll import US agricultural products subject to current UK not EU standards and we’ll import US manufacturing products no longer subject to EU regulations,tariffs and quotas.What’s not to like from the point of view of US exporters and why would they turn it down.Oh wait the idea of the President of the most powerful Federation and Federal dictatorship on the planet supporting secession in Europe is an obvious oxymoron. :unamused:

Let’s try again:
The US Amabssador wants us to accept chicken meat etc according to US standards NOT UK standards. This is part of their stance regarding future trade deals.
Yes, the US producers would like that. The UK producers won’t like it. And many UK consumers won’t like it.
Another 5min slot in it about 6hr50 Today R4, this morning, discussing his use of figures regarding food safety in the USA compared with the UK.

Edit. Typo

Franglais:

Carryfast:

Let’s try again:
The US Amabssador wants us to accept chicken meat etc according to US standards NOT UK standards. This is part of their stance regarding future trade deals.
Yes, the US producers would like that. The UK producers won’t like it. And many UK consumers won’t like it.
Another 5min slot in it about 6hr50 Today R4, this morning, discussing his use of figures regarding food safety in the USA compared with the UK.

As I said in that case the consumer is King not the US ambassador.Yes we know their ‘stance’.In which case I haven’t heard our reply saying UK food/farming regs stay but you can export as much as you like to us with no further tariffs or quotas regarding agricultural produce.Bearing in mind that the US does successfully already export agricultural products under existing food regs which therefore they can obviously already deal with.The difference being that an open market would give them more incentive to meet them.Just like Ford US etc would want to make more rhd products for the UK market given the removal of tariff/quota barriers regarding US car imports.Possibly to the point where setting up local UK foundry to finished product production would offset shipping costs matched with a reciprocal deal allowing local US production of JLR products for example.IE a very different mutually beneficial trading relationship,based on both sides acting in their own interests and neither side taking the ■■■■.Unlike the one we have with the EU which is all about the EU doing what’s good for Germany not for us.

Franglais:
Let’s try again:

Gosh, yes, wouldn’t it be terrible if we had to buy US-produced chicken with a 2% salmonella content instead of the 15-20% salmonella content eu chicken we can buy now. :stuck_out_tongue: