Fodens.

Thanks David! Here in France, there used to be a few hydraulically-powered tipper semi-trailers, but they now rather use 8x4 rigids. In mountain areas, they sometimes have (or had?) milk tankers with driven & steered axles; the power was taken off the tractor’s rear axle by a long telescopic shaft. These artics may have been replaced by 32 ton rigid 8x4s too. The bogie of my picture looks very similar to the bogies fitted on old levelling machines.

FB_IMG_1595005357631.jpg
Nmp off F B

She’s not so pretty anymore

robthedog:
She’s not so pretty anymore

Where is it now ?

coomsey:
Nmp off F B

Hi “coomsey”, Thanks for posting the Foden, S 18. 1954, Reg, Plus it has 40X8S , It looks well, Regards Larry.

17D68895-2C87-4423-9837-81267945631F.jpeg
Foden in action 9 tonne plate to Sheffield.

Froggy55:
Found this one this morning on a French forum. It looks the bogie of the semi-trailer is powered, mechanically (shaft in the chassis of the trailer?) or by hydraulics. Will any of you know more? Thanks.

Looks, to me, like what we call a pole jinker, often the trailer bogie is able to be moved along the pole to a position suited to the length of the load. On these types of trailer, the load becomes the structure, the (single) pole only sturdy enough to secure the trailer axles when empty.
The suspension appears to be a walking beam type, that can rotate continuously around the dead axle.
This is all conjecture on my part, based purely on the old gear operated here in the 50s and 60s.

Punchy Dan:
Foden in action 9 tonne plate to Sheffield.

Now that is a “Boys” load ! In my Octopus and trailer days in the 60’s that lump would have been dropped on the trailer then two similar ones would have been loaded onto the Octopus ! and sometimes they were a similar width :wink: but without the red and white markers :wink: The heaviest load of plates we hauled out of the Ship yard in Barrow was IIRC to Faslane and they weighed in at about 28 ton in total,— 20 on the Octopus and 8 on the trailer. No weighbridge problems out of the Yard in those far off days :sunglasses: Happy days ! Cheers Denzil. :wink:

i overtook a foden alpha on the M6 this morning , i see quite a few round my way, BUT, power to this boy learning to drive a proper lorry , it was a drawbar on L plates .

tony

3D1C8277-3943-4C61-8E28-6776148E8F16.jpeg

6452C980-88D3-4101-8EC7-E21821236ED5.jpeg

All of those 380 horses have taken their toll over 20 yrs :smiley:

Cracking stuff there Dan, Its nice to see someone like you who puts a lot of time and good effort into their job, You kind of remind me of myself & my two sons when we ran wagons, Nowt was a problem, If it was we just got on & fixed it pronto, My moto was Keep them wheels turning & earn some more £s :smiley: , Keep up the good work my friend & stay safe along with your family, Regards Larry.

Punchy Dan:

There is another word for it------- Neglect ! :open_mouth: :blush: :unamused: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Denzil

Bewick:

Punchy Dan:

There is another word for it------- Neglect ! :open_mouth: :blush: :unamused: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Denzil

Was your mother married to your father ? :laughing: :blush: :wink:

Punchy Dan:

Bewick:

Punchy Dan:

Was your mother married to your father ? :laughing: :blush: :wink:

Now you come to mention it Dan’l I’ve ben asked the very same question on numerous occasions over the years. ! :open_mouth: :cry: :sunglasses: :laughing: :laughing:

150307 008.jpg

Take you back a bit Lawrence?

Star down under.:

It sure does, A nice S 18 Model , A long wheelbase I see, Thanks for posting this Foden, Regards Larry.

:unamused:

Meanwhile the real foden is outside tomorrow’s job in Newton Stewart,the driver has apparently had king prawns & seabass and 2 pints of belhaven best in the crown hotel :blush:

Lawrence Dunbar:

Star down under.:

It sure does, A nice S 18 Model , A long wheelbase I see, Thanks for posting this Foden, Regards Larry.

What year would that be Larry, 1950?

The Foden FG/FE range was being developed at the end of the Second war and introduced in 1947 with the S18 cab, it had a nine year run when the S20 cab took over the now dated S18 in 1956. The Foden in the pic was likely built early 50’s although the firm did export quite quickly their new FG/FE range as Nationalisation in the UK meant a reduction in home market builds so export sales efforts were cranked up. Franky.