Fodens.

windrush:
As somebody once said regarding a comedian: “A good act, but just went on too long” :frowning:

Pete.

How true, and how sad, that is Pete. :cry:

Punchy Dan:
How would that have gone ?

That is an interesting post you have put on Dan’l ( For a change ! :wink: :laughing: ) Although in 1977 it wouldn’t have been of any interest at all to me :frowning: as I had my hands full at Bewick Transport. However, from what I recall Bill Foden was a very proud man and he would have taken it as admitting defeat at the time if RR had bought the old “family” firm out ! The animosity between the two Foden families ( ERF) had ben a running sore since the early 30’s. But I will hold my hand up and say that I had been buying ERF’s for 4 years by 1977 which IMHO were a far superior motor than a Foden !
So we can only ruminate at the likely outcome had RR been successful and acquired Foden at that time. Maybe they might have survived a good few more years than they did but they would have eventually gone the same way as all the other UK manufacturers unfortunately. But that is another story ! So Dan’l have you parked that Virus sorry Foden up for the duration or are you still sneaking about doing a bit ? Anyway keep safe Pal and lets hope we all get through this disaster fit and healthy . regards Dennis.

I’am in the 54% Dennis as working but as you can imagine the regular firms are shut so it’s last min or nights doing work that’s urgent or Covid related cheers Dan’l

Punchy Dan:
I’am in the 54% Dennis as working but as you can imagine the regular firms are shut so it’s last min or nights doing work that’s urgent or Covid related cheers Dan’l

Good lad Dan, I will clap for you on thursday. I’m ‘working from home’ like I have been for almost eighteen years now! :smiley: Plenty of fabricating, welding and painting going on here at present, this lockdown has done me a favour really as apart from struggling for materials at times I’m saving money not travelling around. Just had some 11/4" bright steel bar delivered by Mr Hermes so that’s another job to tackle when I get the time! :wink:

Pete.

Who filled the gap left by Foden, Daf? I doubt Kaydub or Peterbuilt offered anything suitable for European operations.

Punchy Dan:

Good on you Dan’l well done for being prepared to do your bit however in convenient ! Cheers Dennis.

foden at work yesterday ,you wouldn’t want 4 tonne dropping on your car .

The maoster tried to drive through but I turned him round and sent him on a diversion,Tnuk members not exempt. :laughing:

Punchy Dan:
foden at work yesterday ,you wouldn’t want 4 tonne dropping on your car .

Nice to see some working pics Dan. :wink:

“coomsey” F.Robinson from 1968.

Click on page twice.

Punchy Dan:
The maoster tried to drive through but I turned him round and sent him on a diversion,Tnuk members not exempt. :laughing:

But but but, I was in my car Sir :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Tell the truth Dan you came under it with your hi.ab up, and you’re pretending you’re there to repair it to save face. :smiley:

robroy:
Tell the truth Dan you came under it with your hi.ab up, and you’re pretending you’re there to repair it to save face. :smiley:

:laughing: It was a fridge trailer :laughing: , actually it cracked with vibration they are ok when hollow but when filled with concrete they crack the welds :open_mouth:

robroy:

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

coomsey:
Smart

Hughes Bros and Hillhead were under the same company , that lorry was an early one , still on 40by8s . The one that went to Hillhead had 1000 by 20s and the manual 12 speed box . The little vent on top of the cab had a mirror for loading , also useful for checking for police cars sneaking up behind .

More foden at work in Norwich .

I bet you never drove one of these “coomsey” :unamused: :laughing: :laughing: :wink:

Click on pages twice.

rigsby:

coomsey:
Smart

Hughes Bros and Hillhead were under the same company , that lorry was an early one , still on 40by8s . The one that went to Hillhead had 1000 by 20s and the manual 12 speed box . The little vent on top of the cab had a mirror for loading , also useful for checking for police cars sneaking up behind .

That has finally answered a puzzle that I wondered about 60 years ago when I saw them as lad. Thank you. :laughing: :laughing: