Flour Millers

[Ashby] Heygates.jpg

■■■■■■■■ gill:
Carrs Milling Group PLC
Silloth, ■■■■■■■

Kindest regards

CJA1:
This one of Carrs, In different livery, can"t remember if it came b4 green or after,? used to see these Guy"s at Warbies Newcastle, Cheers Chris. And Bowmans Hitchen Herts, Heygates, used to see em a lot at Mcvities Ashby Chris.
CG

Bowmans Hitchin.jpg

Carrs.JPG

CARRS18.jpg

I’ve got my first solo run in London tomorrow. Nice 12 plate MAN auto, I’ve never driven one before so I’ll have to get used to it pretty quick.
:laughing:

gingerfold:

Muckaway:
Why are such large mills like Tewkesbury and Barry being closed? Are they outdated in terms of hygene? Foreign imports can’t surely be to blame, as Shipton Under Wychwood Mill is a lot smaller than those mentioned above and they’re flat out.

It’s to do with the economics of flour milling. These are very old buildings which in their day housed a lot of machinery to process probably about 2,000 tons of wheat a week. Modern mills with new machinery require much less floor space and much smaller buildings. Allied Mills’ Coronet Mill at Manchester is probably only about 20% of the physical size of Healings old mill but it processes over 6,000 tonnes of wheat every week.We don’t import much milled flour these days but we are importing plenty of German milling wheat at present because of the poor quality and yields of our own harvest in 2012.

Don’t know if there are any home bread makers on here, but this has been a big problem lately, as lack of gluten in flour has resulted in a failure of loaves to rise. A tip to cure this is to add a couple of spoonfuls of lemon juice. :wink:

Isn’t it amazing what you can learn on this site? :wink:

2013-03-29 11.54.52.jpg

Muckaway:

Here`s an oldie from the Hull miller Thompsons ( the captioned mentioned that this foden had loaded and was ready to back to the mill in Dansom Lane Hull)

2013-03-14 14.32.40.jpg

2013-04-03 07.12.16.jpg
I prefer this to the Dafs, but the metal strips in the bodyfloor (for straps?) are a right pain when trying to push a 1t pallet of flour…
:blush:

2013-04-19 12.32.00.jpg

For those into railways/model collecting, Cheltenam Model Centre are selling 00 gauge coal wagons in the livery of “S.Heeling Bros Flour Mills, Tewkesbury.”

Muckaway:
For those into railways/model collecting, Cheltenam Model Centre are selling 00 gauge coal wagons in the livery of “S.Heeling Bros Flour Mills, Tewkesbury.”

Have they got any models of Healing’s lorries Nathan ?
Cheers Dave.

Dave the Renegade:

Muckaway:

Have they got any models of Healing’s lorries Nathan ?
Cheers Dave.

Not sure, Dave. I went in to get back into my model railway building as funds and time permit now, thanks to Matthews. Cheltenham Model Centre do a lot of local themed businesses on railway wagons and used to have a lot of Cullimore lorries.
I had a phone call from your neighbour today…

carrs silloth ■■■■■■■

The first of two arrived today, the other in 2 weeks time.

Is that one your drive Nathan ?
Cheers Dave.

No Dave, mine’s a '61 reg so still one of the newest.(space cab). The contract hire trucks are going back and the oldest two Dafs (a 54 and an 05) will be kept for the relief drivers. The 54 is close to the 1m km mark.
I was in your neck of the woods at the crack of dawn today, a 1t handball drop in Hay on Wye. Then over to Neath and Swansea for the rest of the day. Upto Bacup and Newton Heath tomorrow.

Muckaway:
No Dave, mine’s a '61 reg so still one of the newest.(space cab). The contract hire trucks are going back and the oldest two Dafs (a 54 and an 05) will be kept for the relief drivers. The 54 is close to the 1m km mark.
I was in your neck of the woods at the crack of dawn today, a 1t handball drop in Hay on Wye. Then over to Neath and Swansea for the rest of the day. Upto Bacup and Newton Heath tomorrow.

About 15 miles from here Hay on Wye Nathan. You would have passed by Ivor Duggans yard at Glasbury on your way from there, but it can’t be seen from the road. Quite a nice run over Brecon Beacons and on to Neath and Swansea, a bit of travelling back to Banbury, but one of the better journeys I would think. Sounds as if you have plenty of varied runs on that job which would have appealed to me in my younger days.
Cheers Dave.

I saw Duggans’ Axor with the greedy board extensions on near Hay. Hay on Wye is a bit of drag from here; Iwould normally go Stow-Toddington-Tewkesbury-M50 but the Stow-Tewkesbury road is shut at Toddington so I went Gloucester-Ross-Hay. Nice scenery around Brecon. I did our Swansea run last week but it took longer today because Hay on Wye was on. I used to get up around Clee Hill when I was a relief/second driver but since coming back I’ve been put straight onto the roster as a regular driver, and the Hereford-Black Country run is done by relief drivers with agency mates now.
It’s my “spare day” tomorrow so I do bulk drops which wont fit onto the regular runs. Trip to Brighton on Wednesday, Park Royal on Thursday and Birmingham-Matlock on Friday.

That’s Ivor Duggan’s newest Axor with the greedy boards on Nathan,he runs a six and an eight through the winter delivering fodder beet and other roots around farms,with return loads picked up from various gravel pits or quarries. His other tippers are on stone or other work.
Its a bit tight in Hay for a long wheelbase rigid, but I expect you get plenty of those type of places delivering to small bakeries.
Cheers Dave.