Flashing beacons

dozy:

DaveyCrocket:

dozy:
I’ve got some :slight_smile: , mine even go on when I’m driving round the tesco yard , in actual fact there on most of the time , if you’ve got it flaunt it :wink: :angry:

Is that what they give you in lieu of a living wage? :wink:

I’m one of those old grey / baldish ones , house paid for , girl left home , Mrs earns a good wage , pensions , so as long as I’ve got enough to watch rovers / and a few ciders I’m happy :wink: , money , how much I earn is well down the list of priorities , but a scania with beacons is up the top , and yes I’ve a switch and know how to put them on / off :laughing:

Fair play, mate. I didn’t mean to take the ■■■■, just havin a little laugh … I’m lucky enough to not need to earn much too and have recently had a driving assessment in a big, green wagon with a view to a nice, easy trunking job so I know where you’re coming from :sunglasses:

Same as the recovery motors, get a car on the back…beacons go on…yet most are only a transit size anyway…and unnecessary…unless its law ?

truckyboy:
Same as the recovery motors, get a car on the back…beacons go on…yet most are only a transit size anyway…and unnecessary…unless its law ?

In the days when I was doing recovery work they were only supposed to be used whilst actually working outside the vehicle. Once driving they were off as per law. I was employed by the Met. Police at the time. The only exception being that if we were towing a vehicle larger than the recovery vehicle, i.e. a coach or lorry.

In common with hi viz, they are used so often these days that they are hardly noticed.

Those slow flashing beacons that the airport use are better .

Had a blinged up fanny v8 come in our yard, very nice truck to be fair but as soon as he came through the gate he stuck his light bar on flashing away.

I mean why what is the point other than ooh look at me with my flashing beacons. That’s the only reason for it. I should add pulling a box fridge not anything special that might require beacons.

They are not required in our yard other than the crap beacon on the tug which is as bright as a candle in the dark.

Same as places that insist you drive round the yard with hazard lights on, I don’t understand why drivers think driving around the yard with hazard lights on, put them on if reversing yes driving no. Unless the site insists they must be on they stay off.

I think the most ridiculous use of flashing beacons is on ambulances, why do they need ambers on an airport, they already have blue lights.

Wheel Nut:

Franglais:

ezydriver:
I see them going through RDCs like that with bog standard curtainsiders :unamused:

Wolf !
Seeing flashing lights everywhere normalises them.
Much more likely to ignore them if they are commonplace.

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

Like Hi viz, the only time anyone notices it is when you are eating a full breakfast or ordering a pint at the bar

Or when you’re not wearing it… :smiley:

In France it’s the loggers, I always used to think it was showing off, but it is so frequent, almost 100%, that I think it must be law in lieu of having an unsecured load with all the bits of bark dropping off. :angry:

But the main ones are those little car recovery lorries, on all the time, day or night, empty or loaded.

When I was at Econofreight back in the 70s the boss wouldn’t run to proper whirlygigs. Instead we had weedy little orange turn indicators fixed to the roof. No matter how high, wide, long or heavy we were, still those little weedy things. :imp:

Mind you, they did save a mate’s life once. He was parked in a layby for a kip and had a medical problem which rendered him almost paralysed. Managed to reach across and flick the switch. 24 hours later a police patrol noticed how long he’d been there and had him off to hospital.

Wheel Nut:
I think the most ridiculous use of flashing beacons is on ambulances, why do they need ambers on an airport, they already have blue lights.

We had amber’s fitted on our police cars in the Falklands, airport regs stated ambers had to be displayed on the airfield and not blues.

I hate to see the twonks with small flatbed recovery trucks who drive along with a family car on the bed and their dam flashing beacons on.

Spardo:
In France it’s the loggers, I always used to think it was showing off, but it is so frequent, almost 100%, that I think it must be law in lieu of having an unsecured load with all the bits of bark dropping off

99.99% sure its law to have gyrophares. For those running round timber from forest collections on special over weight permits. They have greater gross weights and run on different axle/tyre configurations. Only self load / crane vehicles? 48 t on 5 axles and 57t on 6 axles. And 18.75 metre length. Theyll normally be 3 plus 3 axles, and the trailers will have 2 axles running double tyres, and the 3rd will have a super single. The weights permitted are higher than the normal 40/44/45t and some are open to “liberal” estimates if there are no weigh bridges nearby.
Dreal …
bretagne.developpement-durab … 7ba823.pdf

I didn’t read all your link Franglais, but guessed right on the whirly law. What I didn’t know was that they are permitted more than 44 tonnes on 6 axles. That would constitute a convoi exceptionnel and therefore require the beacons. Those cranes look really hefty, so I am not surprised that such an allowance has been made.

I remember many years ago reading that an increase in gross weight was made in France for all vehicles with a retarder, and thinking what a good idea it was, and how very good if introduced to Britain.

Not everything the French do is barmy. :wink: :laughing:

In Hungary it seems to be law that car transporters have a beacon on all the time.

Spardo:
I didn’t read all your link Franglais, but guessed right on the whirly law. What I didn’t know was that they are permitted more than 44 tonnes on 6 axles. That would constitute a convoi exceptionnel and therefore require the beacons. Those cranes look really hefty, so I am not surprised that such an allowance has been made.

I remember many years ago reading that an increase in gross weight was made in France for all vehicles with a retarder, and thinking what a good idea it was, and how very good if introduced to Britain.

Not everything the French do is barmy. :wink: :laughing:

I think the current law is 44t on 5 and 45 on 6 axles for domestic moves? Still 40t for International work. There have been lots of rumours and attempts to make it 44 on 6 but there has been a lot of resistance. And it was/is 500kg extra on gross for a proper retarder? I think the D579, down the hill into Honfleur, has/had a low weight limit for trucks UNLESS they had a retarder fitted, when it was/is more. Since the A29 opened I`ve not gone that way.

I occasionally end up driving down the road with beacons going and a standard taut on the back. Its because the button is out of eye-line and there is no light on the dash so I forget I’ve got them on and forget to turn them off. Sorry if I look like a muppet but its accidental.

BossHogg:

Wheel Nut:

We had amber’s fitted on our police cars in the Falklands, airport regs stated ambers had to be displayed on the airfield and not blues.

I know they do it, just seems strange, every ■■■■ and his dog has amber lights. Blue are distinctive, I understand they use red lights on high objects like windmills and control towers, Orange lights on food trolleys and baggage such, it’s

Wheel Nut:

BossHogg:

Wheel Nut:

I know they do it, just seems strange, every ■■■■ and his dog has amber lights. Blue are distinctive, I understand they use red lights on high objects like windmills and control towers, Orange lights on food trolleys and baggage such, it’s

trucks etc. [emoji14]

Wheel Nut:

BossHogg:

Wheel Nut:

Aren`t blue lights used to mark the edge of runways?
I guess FreightDog will tell us the reasons.

Franglais:

Wheel Nut:

BossHogg:

Wheel Nut:

Aren`t blue lights used to mark the edge of runways?
I guess FreightDog will tell us the reasons.

Ooh, interesting

I must admit, the exuberant use of ambers makes my job harder as it causes people to ignore them thinking it’s nothing serious.