Fearings of Burnley

Feather and kents yard at colne is now macadams garage the bit behind the aec artic is still there,if interested you can see a pic on their website macadams.co.uk

Im from Colne does anyone have any more photos? also im always looking for photos of station haulage trucks from nearby Foulridge as my dad worked there.or any other local trucks.

Tankerman:
Hi Harry,

I used to park at the Roma in Bury when I was on the Shell Stanlow to BP at Hull run. Fearings drivers would always pick us up and give us a lift home.
One lad eventually came to work for us and he told me he had acquired enough tea to last him a life time, know what I mean Harry?.
If I remember rightly their garage was somewhere between Brunshaw lane and Todmorden road, near Townley park.

Somebody mentioned Feather and Kent so I have posted photos of their lorries below. Great photos Tankerman,The office on the Quayside at Newcastle that F&K. Had is still there, Regards Larry.

Russell.

Station haulage Earby, now that’s a blast from the past vwvanman. I remember their yard very well.
In the late 60’s I use to go from Accrington and via Earby, over the old railway crossing and then through Skipton and Blubberhouses to get to ICI Wilton.
I used to wind the old Scammell Highwayman up after I past their garage ready for the run up the short hill after the bend where the pub is.

Russell.

hiya,
Russell have had a bit of a google around the Cog Lane/Accrington Road area
there’s not much there that resembles what might have been a haulage yard
and the address shows up as a private house, but the face of places changes
in the bat of an eye these days haulage yard one day a supermarket in a day
or two’s time.
thanks harry, long retired.

hi,i remember fearings they had mixed feet aec,volvof86/f7,scania81/141,berliets,magirus deutz alot was day cabs tramping all week.most was flats doing corrugatedpaper,and reels.a chap called george dixon bought them as well as j.w.jackson of nelson and created greenline of burnley which was taken over by nightfrieght hope this is some good to u.

George Dixon bought the old Ironfields yard at Clayton le moors and ran some lorries there, I am not too sure what they were called at the time.
Our yard was lower down the lane and one very snowy and icy morning we were having trouble getting the tankers up the lane, the loaded ones had no chance because the liquid was running to the back of the tank and taking weight from the driving axle on the unit.
George Dixon arrived at his yard about 8.30 and saw us all stuck and trying to get a bit of salt under the wheel and he came to out assistance.

He had a Toyota Landcruiser and he was wearing a cream over coat ( I can see him now in my mind). He reversed down the lane and hooked us up one at a time and the little bit of extra pull got us out.
He said to me he hadn’t had as much fun for ages.
He was a down to earth bloke and certainly not stuck up for all he was worth.

Russell.

Tankerman:
George Dixon bought the old Ironfields yard at Clayton le moors and ran some lorries there, I am not too sure what they were called at the time.
Our yard was lower down the lane and one very snowy and icy morning we were having trouble getting the tankers up the lane, the loaded ones had no chance because the liquid was running to the back of the tank and taking weight from the driving axle on the unit.
George Dixon arrived at his yard about 8.30 and saw us all stuck and trying to get a bit of salt under the wheel and he came to out assistance.

He had a Toyota Landcruiser and he was wearing a cream over coat ( I can see him now in my mind). He reversed down the lane and hooked us up one at a time and the little bit of extra pull got us out.
He said to me he hadn’t had as much fun for ages.
He was a down to earth bloke and certainly not stuck up for all he was worth.

Russell.

hiya,
Some canny information there Russell the couple of spells i did for Fearings would have
been in the late 50s and mid 60s they was still at Olympia garage on both those occasions
the bosses then were Mathew Hall and his son Brian, taught myself to drive artics the first
time I worked for Fearings I was only 21 but had only driven eight wheelers and trailers
when I got a start for them converting to artics was a piece of cake for me and set off down
the road the same day as I’d done a bit of shunting round the loading point at Hygrade’s at
Nelson must have done OK because I got to London without tieing the outfit in a knot.

harry_gill:
taught myself to drive artics the first
time I worked for Fearings I was only 21 but had only driven eight wheelers and trailers
when I got a start for them converting to artics was a piece of cake for me and set off down
the road the same day as I’d done a bit of shunting round the loading point at Hygrade’s at
Nelson must have done OK because I got to London without tieing the outfit in a knot.

Those were the days Harry, exactly the same for me although I came later to wagon and drags. I brought my 4 wheeler back into the yard one Friday night and was told an artic driver had jacked and that that was my motor for Monday. Took it home and practiced all afternoon on the piece of waste land where I parked up and set off for Liverpool docks with another artic driven by an experienced driver on Monday. We both had wide loads (Raleigh bikes, cartoned on overhanging duckboards) and I pulled mine through the gates and reversed it inside the warehouse without any incident. Not so my mate who ripped the side out of his sheets cutting in too close through the gates. There was never a time when I didn’t feel confident ever afterwards. :slight_smile:

hiya,
Tried Googling around the area Tankerman gave me was that was associated
with the whereabouts of of Fearings last known yard, the address which I do
know very well shows the office as what was a private house belonging to
T Split as their office, when I first worked for Fearings in the late 50s the
A licence attached to my motor at one time was issued in that name, is it
just coincidence?? but the building is where the depot was said to have been.

vwvanman0:
Feather and kents yard at colne is now macadams garage the bit behind the aec artic is still there,if interested you can see a pic on their website macadams.co.uk

Im from Colne does anyone have any more photos? also im always looking for photos of station haulage trucks from nearby Foulridge as my dad worked there.or any other local trucks.

station Haulage became J&A Transport in the 80’s, there are some photos of their trucks on the A65 hauliers thread on the old timers section.

hiya,
Russell (Tankerman) mentioned the Roma cafe in Walmersley Road Bury
a little way back in this thread, the people who owned the cafe were the
Morelands good friends of my late parents “Jock Moreland” was a joiner
and had his workshop in the village of Britannia near Bacup where the
family lived, I used to earn a few bob as a kid sandpapering weaving
loom parts and giving a coat of varnish after “Jock” had repaired them he
made the cafe a good job too and it was well patronised by passing drivers
one hell of a breakfast too I dined there quite frequently I would have been
on for Fearings when I first breakfasted there, now wasn’t that a useless bit
of information eh’ but it has given the thread a bit of a plug.

Hi Harry,

The Roma was a busy cafe and I sometimes parked up there 5 nights a week when I was on the Shell Stanlow or BP Hull job.

Fearings were regular callers about 4pm and would never refuse me a lift the 15 miles home.
I wonder did you supply the tea to Jock Moreland, I used to get a bit from the drivers when it had escaped from the boxes, with bit of help from the driver of course…

There was another well know haulage company net to the Roma, if I recall it was Smith’s of Bury.

A very old friend of mine called Roy Dunlevy from Walsden was asking me if you came from Bacup, I have yet to answer but do you know him.
he had his own lorry for a time and did a bit of overseas work, Switzerland I think, in the 70/80s.

Think my father may have worked a short spell for Fearings in the early 60,s and seem to remember him driving for Stanworths? at one point think they were in Burnley! .He semed to drive for quite a few different firms then and mostly cos 1 was paying a couple of bob more than the other.

hiya,
Don’t know the name Russell I lived in both Bacup and Britannia and worked
in the mines 15 to 18 (army 18 to 20) back to the mines until age 21 then I
was old enough “to drive wagons” although had driven heavy motors in the
army, a bit daft eh’ beurocracy gone mad first job driving a wag and drag on
the cotton for I think it was Schofields at Accrington an old 1939 thing that
would only go downhill didn’t last there long worked for another couple of
firms before working at Fearings which I stuck fo a bit. hows the “missus”
doing Russell just hope things are as well as can be.
PS I don’t think the Roma punters would have drank the tea courtesy of the
Fearings drivers it was unblended and as such was horrible you would have
to know which chests you would have to tap to get the stuff to make a half
decent brew, and having carried it in bulk it usually was all one sort so not
a lot of use on it’s own, but at the Co-oP at Manchester you could scrounge
a packet every now and again.
thanks again.

daveg179:
Think my father may have worked a short spell for Fearings in the early 60,s and seem to remember him driving for Stanworths? at one point think they were in Burnley! .He semed to drive for quite a few different firms then and mostly cos 1 was paying a couple of bob more than the other.

hiya,
From what I remember about Fearings they would only be paying
what was on the table at the time, no extra’s but you did get the
going rate and they was as good as most and although the tackle
was a bit ancient it was looked after, daveg179 your dad must have
worked at the old Lebanon Street yard.

Think it was near Football Ground /Lyndhurst Road area from what i remember was only a nipper then :smiley: .

daveg179:
Think it was near Football Ground /Lyndhurst Road area from what i remember was only a nipper then :smiley: .

hiya,
Your spot on daveg179 I actually lived just round the corner
on Eliza Street as a little lad never thinking I would be going
to work there when I grew up, but like most kids I always
wanted to be a steam loco driver, mmm’ still do, but at the
ripe old age of 76 have more chance of being struck by lightning.

The transport company at the Roma cafe was Hinchcliffes ■■ or was the Roma a little further on Walmersly road ? (the Lighthouse).

Hinchcliffes were a proper transport company, roping and sheeting, paper rolls from Ramsbottom, using drivers like GARTH, large chappie who I had the privilage of being a close friend.

hiya,
The Roma was about a mile further on than Hinchcliffe’s (still there)
the Roma was just a little way up the road from Bury town centre no
longer there though, it was quite built up where it was but you could
park in the side streets and on the main road in those days, although
I did use Hinchcliffe’s on occasion the grub was OK in both places.

hiya,
Just giving this one a plug, you never know I can’t be the only
former driver of Fearing’s although at the time I would have
been the youngest, something about their final years would be
nice and they have’nt been gone all that long, one driver who I
remember was a lad called Billy Box older than me and that was
back in the late 50s, nice to think he was still around.