Eu referendum whats your vote

Franglais:
Why would any company investing in a future car plant saddle themselves with these costs? Why wouldnt they build/expand in a different EU country? The long term doesnt look good under WTO to me.
Swings and roundabouts associated with the EU, yes.
The Japanese car makers dont make large exports of vehicles from the EU to other regions, maybe because of this, but we are where we are. And if Japanese makers need a factory for the EU, surely it will be in the EU, not in a 10% dearer neighbour. I cant see them having a factory in the UK to export cars to anywhere else.

At last in several recent posts a little bit of sanity has arrived in this thread. It’s all very well banging on about trade tariffs against German cars for instance, but what are you going to drive when the manufacturers vote with their (highly removable) robots and decamp to the EU? Drive a Morgan? Very nice little cars indeed, but hardly the stuff that school runs are made of.

There are no British manufacturers left, only factories which may be priced right across the Channel. Want a Nissan, Toyota, Honda, Vauxhall, Jaguar, Land Rover, or even a Bentley or Rolls Royce. Then pay the tariff.

Or become like Cuba used to be, and maybe still is, drive and repair one of the old British bangers still serviceable, just as Cuba rebuilt and rebuilt again their 50’s Buicks and Pontiacs.

Lorries too. Mercs, Scanias, Volvos, Dafs, Renaults and Ivecos. All subject to Bewick’s tariffs. Still, I suppose you could all drive Dennis artics around the place. Are they still British? Can’t remember when I saw the last 44 tonner thundering down a motorway though.

And as far as free speech goes, I’m sure if Stalin, Hitler and Mussolini couldn’t stifle it, there is no doubt that Bewick, Buzzer and CF ain’t going to do it here either. However much they like to try.

Franglais:

acd1202:
What I am very much against is using g our freedom to set tariffs to launch trade wars on those we feel slighted by. Go with and stick with WTO tariffs and use Corporation tax as a lever to attract business here. A free trading, open, low regulation and low tax ecenonomy is the way forwards, in fact it is the way we should never have left.

It isnt popular to say it out loud here, but I favour a higher taxed system. The NHS we once were so proud of wasnt funded by a low tax free for all. It needs more money and that should come from taxes of course. Thats the real world solution, not some idea of private medical providers who give care AND take out profits all at less cost! The Scandinavian countries seem (from my position here) to be better balanced than free-wheeling societies where the less able are left behind. Id rather live a society where it isnt OK for companies to prey on the unwary and gamble with investors monies to turn profit. Low corporation tax? Encourage companies to base themselves here in order to avoid paying taxes in the countries they earn profits? I suspect that will be going the way of "self employed" loopholes in the UK system. Take a few years of course but itll happen.

You’re right there, personally I’d be looking to cut NHS spending never mind increasing it, there is still massive bureaucratic waste there.

A decision my HMGov to introduce tax incentives and rate reductions would be a positive decision and nothing about loopholes. Whilst I am happy to use loopholes I am in favour of closing them. Transparency is the better way to run our affairs and the current tax code is anything but transparent.

It sounds like you are much happier living in a controlled economy, which is fine for you, but don’t try to stop those of us who live in a capitalist country from making it the best it can be. It’s not trying to return to the past, it’s trying to get to our future and if that requires some short term pain to achieve, so be it.

Gentlemen, i release my posts are not as eloquent,political,and thought provoking as a lot of the posts it seems to me i have one view [mine].

As for BRITISH[british passport] in my view anyone could be from god knows any number of our old so called previous protectorates ,in" my" view if anyone was [BORN]WITHIN the UK THE 4 COUNTRIES.then yes you have a say and vote,however leave .as a reiterate you say goodbye and all your uk rights should leave.What about Gibraltar they have all the benefits but do not want to live here, now there is a drain.

We/I ,nearly all of us on here, are present or retired “LORRY DRIVERS” not political analysts, who could not give two monkeys f—ks about trade,with the U.S.A. or in fact any other country, politics never came into working 15 hours a day,did it .

MY view is that all" european countries tolerate US but none really like us" and who would know that more than any other walk of life in the uk, than us LORRY DRIVERS. QUICKER WERE ARE OUT THE BETTER .please go back and read the first page of buzzers original posts ,true brit comments until the barrack room lawyers fired up .dbp

peggydeckboy:
We/I ,nearly all of us on here, are present or retired “LORRY DRIVERS” not political analysts, who could not give two monkeys f—ks about trade,

Taking you at your word, shouldnt you give up any voting rights? Shouldnt you leave the Brexit decision to those who ARE in work (and paying for YOUR pension and healthcare) and do have an interest in the future of the UK? *

peggydeckboy:
MY view is that all" european countries tolerate US but none really like us" and who would know that more than any other walk of life in the uk, than us LORRY DRIVERS.

Ive been treated quite well as a driver in various EU and other countries. Once an older guy "blanked me" when I asked for directions in my version of his language, but that was only on one occasion. So, my experience and view is different to yours. Im not saying you`re wrong, but just that it seems different to me.

• Actually I think you do have a right to speak and vote, but can`t understand why you want to deny that right to others.

acd1202:
You’re right there, personally I’d be looking to cut NHS spending never mind increasing it, there is still massive bureaucratic waste there.

A decision my HMGov to introduce tax incentives and rate reductions would be a positive decision and nothing about loopholes. Whilst I am happy to use loopholes I am in favour of closing them. Transparency is the better way to run our affairs and the current tax code is anything but transparent.

It sounds like you are much happier living in a controlled economy, which is fine for you, but don’t try to stop those of us who live in a capitalist country from making it the best it can be. It’s not trying to return to the past, it’s trying to get to our future and if that requires some short term pain to achieve, so be it.

“Massive bureaucratic waste in the NHS” ? Is there any evidence to back up that statement? And if there is waste, then why be it be any worse than any other alternative system? Any organisation the size of the NHS will throw up problems and examples of waste, but that doesn`t mean the system could be readily improved. In transport we all see the silly examples in big “logistics providers” as opposed to smaller family firms. Same thing applies surely?

“happier living in a controlled economy”? A command economy or some such?
No thank you! Saying I think the NHS and education etc are underfunded doesn`t quite make me a fan of such extreme measures.

“it’s trying to get to our future and if that requires some short term pain to achieve, so be it”
Seems to me Brexit promises pain, but any gains, although possible, are far from easy to see without resorting to a pair of rosy specs.

“It’s not trying to return to the past”
For you that may be true. But for many it seems that they believe a leaving the EU would turn the clock back to the sixties and us trading with South Africa, Australia, etc, when Japan was only an emerging economy and Russia and China weren`t trading with anyone.

And from you other post:
"Well you got me to follow a link to the Guardian, 10/10 for that.

It is true that going to WTO rules would impose an effective sales tax on UK produced cars sold within the EU, however cars sold out of the EU would be reduced almost half of our exported cars leave the EU according to SMMT data. On the otherhand we may see the Honda Accord for instance reintroduced here since it’s was withdrawn due to EU import duties. This is only part of the decision on where to manufacture though, employment costs and employment law together with taxation costs also figure, we do well with these now and could do better after Brexit, and no I’m not proposing wage cuts. Also the billions of investment already made here some since the referendum also must weigh heavily I’m any decision. Ultimately however if a plant does close I’m afraid my view of one door opening as one closes may sound harsh, but it is true."

Don`t feel too ashamed of reading a Graudian link: CarryFast got me to follow some of his links! :smiley: Some experience that was!

Re investment post referendum: what was discussed between Ms May and Nissan et al? I dont think anyone in the public space knows what went on there? Yes, you raise valid points about tariffs and EU protectionism: outside the EU our oversea trade may be cheaper, but that would take years to negotiate, and talks havent even started yet! The EU is surely being sensible in trying to bring all member countries up to the same level to forge a strong home market before dropping tariffs on the world stage?
A short term hit to gain in the long term? Sounds tough but fair. But if international investment left the UK during the short term, why would they return in the longer term? I really dont see that. Continuity of investment surely needs a stable environment? Brexit isnt offering that. We are governed by a dysfunctional party, watched by a disorganised opposition.

acd1202:

If the problem in the NHS is supposedly all about ‘bureaucratic waste’ then why would you want to cut that funding rather than maintain it and transfer it to the front line services where it’s unarguably needed ?.

As for Capitalism that isn’t mutually exclusive with a controlled ( protectionist ) economic policy and in fact as we’ve seen with the results of ‘post Fordist’ economics and race to the bottom globalisation,can’t actually work without those checks and balances put in place.Just as the National Health Service isn’t mutually exclusive with private funding partnerships which is how most/all of the other European health provision is made up and which the remainers are all too conveniently happy to go along with in that case when it suits them.While it’s obvious that there’s no way that we can create the revenues needed to pay for Social costs funding regardless without first building up our industrial strength and economic growth,to create the required cash flow which ultimately determines how much that revenue stream will be.We won’t do that by borrowing cash to pay for imports of stuff that we can make for ourselves.With the UK workforce employed in non wealth creating service and retail industry jobs often reliant on tax credits to top up their race to the bottom wage levels let alone contributing to the country’s tax requirements.In addition to the lose lose created by the black hole in the accounts caused by our unsustainable trade deficit.IE the economics of the mad house and certainly not Capitalism.

Just another point I would like to raise can any one on here tell me where the 90 billion severance number came from, who worked it out and what exactly is it for in our so called divorce bill, that sum is monstrous and I doubt that Greece, Spain or Portugal to name just three countries would be able to find the funds like that put in a similar position there citizens would revolt for sure.
Personally I would welcome a no deal and face what comes our way after all Germany depleted us in the second world war and it was hard but we all pulled together and recovered as a nation after that five year confrontation, yes it took time but we got through that and were a better nation for it afterwards so lets just say cheerio and get on with our daily business we will do just fine, just hope I live long enough to see it through and say I told you so at the end of the day, Buzzer.

TO ALL WHO GIVES A[ ZB].I AM BOWING OUT ,the trolls have it, i know my ancestry english through and through.dbp.

I read yesterday that the government are now saying that if the eu leaders dont agree to our terms for leaving we are not going to pay the billions of pounds of severance .
Not sure how American owned and English built Dafs would be subject to a tarriff if anything Paccard could turn this to their advantage

5thwheel:

HRS:
Just a thought,
Brits living in a EU country benifit from pention rises in the UK.
Brits living in “NON” EU countrys get the pention they have when they move, but, no increases from then on.
I just wonder if this has any bearing on “ex pats” thinking on Brexit, as I say, just a htought. Harvey

Harvey,
For what it is worth,I side with what appears to be the majority on Trucknetuk,the U.K. should leave ASAP,it will not have any bearing whatsoever on any of my pensions whether the UK remains or leaves.
With regards to your statement that pensioners in non eu countires do not benefit from any increases,that is incorrect,there are 16 countries not in the eu,where a UK pensioner DOES receive the annual increase.
David

Woops, sorry David if I have that wrong, I was told by someone who worked in that department fo many years but to be fare it was a while ago.
Off the top of your head can you name a few of these 16 countries as I would dearly love to put her right, cheers, Harvey

HRS:

5thwheel:

HRS:
Just a thought,
Brits living in a EU country benifit from pention rises in the UK.
Brits living in “NON” EU countrys get the pention they have when they move, but, no increases from then on.
I just wonder if this has any bearing on “ex pats” thinking on Brexit, as I say, just a htought. Harvey

Harvey,
For what it is worth,I side with what appears to be the majority on Trucknetuk,the U.K. should leave ASAP,it will not have any bearing whatsoever on any of my pensions whether the UK remains or leaves.
With regards to your statement that pensioners in non eu countires do not benefit from any increases,that is incorrect,there are 16 countries not in the eu,where a UK pensioner DOES receive the annual increase.
David

Woops, sorry David if I have that wrong, I was told by someone who worked in that department fo many years but to be fare it was a while ago.
Off the top of your head can you name a few of these 16 countries as I would dearly love to put her right, cheers, Harvey

Hi Harvey,

Israel,Barbados,Turkey,Jamaica,Philippines to name 5,all listed on the Gov Pension site.

David

ramone:
I read yesterday that the government are now saying that if the eu leaders dont agree to our terms for leaving we are not going to pay the billions of pounds of severance .
Not sure how American owned and English built Dafs would be subject to a tarriff if anything Paccard could turn this to their advantage

So why couldn’t the EU make a non-paying UK subject to taxes on all goods from them to us until the owing money is recouped?

Harebrained tub thumping from politicians with no idea of how the real world functions!

We could always tell 'em to do one of course: we don’t need their components for making cars, or their spare parts for Scania and Volvo. We’ll do without the food and drink we import!
That’ll show them who’s boss!

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

Franglais:

ramone:

So why couldn’t the EU make a non-paying UK subject to taxes on all goods from them to us until the owing money is recouped?

Harebrained tub thumping from politicians with no idea of how the real world functions!

We could always tell 'em to do one of course: we don’t need their components for making cars, or their spare parts for Scania and Volvo. We’ll do without the food and drink we import!

You’re avin a larf.Just about every basic food stuff I buy in the supermarket is British produced from beef to pork and vegetables with Brit farming calling for an even bigger share of the market v the foreign imports.So let’s get this right we’re going to starve without French cheese and Spanish melons and I’m sure that those European peasant sellers will be pleased when they have to chuck all that produce away because we won’t be buying it. :laughing:

As for manufacturing it’s so much better to go on as a nation of pen pushers and catering and retail workers reliant of in work benefits to meet living costs and borrowing and printing the money needed to meet our import bill and to pay our EU contributions.

Which part of zb off and do one,because you obviously have more allegiance to your adopted EU zb pile than your own ex country,and all you’ve obviously got to offer is threats and hostility because you don’t do secession and the right to self determination as part of that,don’t you and your dictatorial,vindictive,EU supporting mates,understand. :imp: :unamused:

Franglais:

ramone:

Yeah you are right because we export more british cars and commercials than we import dont we ■■?

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

I was listening to a Dutch MEP on the Radio 4 “Today” programme last Wednesday. He claims that the Dutch Customs Department has already recruited, and are training, 1,000 additional border and customs officers in preparation for a Brexit ‘no deal’ scenario. For some time now I’ve been thinking that a ‘no-deal’ is going to be the most likely outcome. I do think this is what Barnier & co. are angling for since day one.

If we face new border controls we can do like wise but stronger and maybe then we will put off cheap Eastern EU countries from wanting to come here as they have already decimated our International transport companies who cannot compete with there cheap rates coupled with the fact the EU don’t want to send there goods here for sale, result all round I would say also make the charge for entry to use our road network a more realistic £200 per visit and maybe that will put them off, Buzzer

gingerfold:
For some time now I’ve been thinking that a ‘no-deal’ is going to be the most likely outcome. I do think this is what Barnier & co. are angling for since day one.

It’s a win win all round because it will allow us to rebalance our economy more in our favour than Germany’s given the political will to do it.While if you check out the automotive industry view they’ve already reached the conclusion that the German government prefers to take the massive economic hit of doing that on German exports than to compromise any of their idiotic European Federal project.At which point the backlash among German workers,in an economy that’s grown too dependent on artificially created EU markets at our expense,will probably bring the AfD into the game at which point Merkel’s cozy deal with Macron and with it the whole EU Federal cluster zb will finally be consigned to where it belongs in the dustbin of history.

Unfortunately for us though it’s more likely that pro EU Federalist May and her cronies within the Cons will concede on everything in the form of remain in all but name with the win win for them of putting people like Hannan and the UKIP MEP’s out of the frame.Because like Franglais their allegiance is to the EU not the UK. :frowning:

ramone:
Yeah you are right because we export more british cars and commercials than we import dont we ■■?

I think Franglais’ point is that the Brits have been reduced to a nation of dependent thick neanderthals living in a barren country where nothing grows and who are too thick to make anything and will therefore starve and be reliant on horse and carts for our transport needs.As opposed to our friendly French and German over lords providing every thing for us,just so long as we keep on paying them and allowing them ever greater control over our lives for the privilege.

Meanwhile in the real world no deal and tariff barriers means that the logical solution for DAF is to transfer UK market DAF component manufacture to UK factories rather than us being an assembly operation of foreign manufactured components.How is that supposedly bad for us ?.

Buzzer:
If we face new border controls we can do like wise but stronger and maybe then we will put off cheap Eastern EU countries from wanting to come here as they have already decimated our International transport companies who cannot compete with there cheap rates coupled with the fact the EU don’t want to send there goods here for sale, result all round I would say also make the charge for entry to use our road network a more realistic £200 per visit and maybe that will put them off, Buzzer

The solution to EE competition would be quota permits at the point of loading.Not excessive road charging which you can bet would just hit everyone one way or another.

Buzzer:
Just another point I would like to raise can any one on here tell me where the 90 billion severance number came from, who worked it out and what exactly is it for in our so called divorce bill, that sum is monstrous and I doubt that Greece, Spain or Portugal to name just three countries would be able to find the funds like that put in a similar position there citizens would revolt for sure.
Personally I would welcome a no deal and face what comes our way after all Germany depleted us in the second world war and it was hard but we all pulled together and recovered as a nation after that five year confrontation, yes it took time but we got through that and were a better nation for it afterwards so lets just say cheerio and get on with our daily business we will do just fine, just hope I live long enough to see it through and say I told you so at the end of the day, Buzzer.

Buzzer,

The severance bill to leave the EU has been agreed at 39 billion,where did you hear it was set at 90 billion?

David