ERF 'European' (1975)

Unless that operator had a pair of them (re-cabbed Mercuries notwithstanding! :laughing: )… Robert

I will try and get a copy of the advert direct from the french driver and hopefully we will be able to blow
that up so we can see if it is a 5 or 6 on it !

Carryfast:
I’m wondering if the 5 and 6 are easy to confuse because of the French/Continental number shapes.IE in general use 1 can usually be easily confused with 7 which is why they cross the 7 and 6 looking like the top of the 5 would also fit in with the continental 9.

On that note while their version of the 9 is easily recognisable in that,I’ve never noticed it regarding the 6 but logically it would just look like the continental 9 turned upside down as usual in either case.Which might explain the flat top of the figure 6 causing confusion with 5 to Brit eyes just like we often look twice at their silly version of 9 ?.

Edit to add our own number plate figures use a similar shaped 6 anyway so apologies for the red herring. :blush: :wink:

ERF-NGC-European:
Unless that operator had a pair of them (re-cabbed Mercuries notwithstanding! :laughing: )… Robert

The question then being were they fitted with AEC 505 or 760 instead of turbo ■■■■■■■■ :open_mouth: :smiling_imp: :laughing:

An old Beeche’s advert.

newerf810a.PNG

Carryfast:

Carryfast:
I’m wondering if the 5 and 6 are easy to confuse because of the French/Continental number shapes.IE in general use 1 can usually be easily confused with 7 which is why they cross the 7 and 6 looking like the top of the 5 would also fit in with the continental 9.

On that note while their version of the 9 is easily recognisable in that,I’ve never noticed it regarding the 6 but logically it would just look like the continental 9 turned upside down as usual in either case.Which might explain the flat top of the figure 6 causing confusion with 5 to Brit eyes just like we often look twice at their silly version of 9 ?.

Edit to add our own number plate figures use a similar shaped 6 anyway so apologies for the red herring. :blush: :wink:

I didn’t like to say anything CF, and glad you came back to comment. At least you took the time and trouble to help us out with the problem and your contributions are always welcome. cheers! Robert

DEANB:
An old Beeche’s advert.

I don’t suppose we’ll ever know which one it was! I know they handled GEH though. Robert

Carryfast:

ERF-NGC-European:

The question then being were they fitted with AEC 505 or 760 instead of turbo ■■■■■■■■ :open_mouth: :smiling_imp: :laughing:

Don’t forget the Thornycroft 'box! :sunglasses: Robert

Subject: DEANB

I’d like to use this lull in the proceedings of this thread to pay tribute to the efforts of DEANB. Not only has he brought a wealth of new pictures and information to this thread through his tireless research, but he has also put aside many gems for my forthcoming book. His contribution to the quest for the 91 NGCs has been very significant.

The pic above is a detail from a Chris Till pic (bk 2).

Robert :smiley:

ERF-NGC-European:

Carryfast:

Carryfast:

I didn’t like to say anything CF, and glad you came back to comment. At least you took the time and trouble to help us out with the problem and your contributions are always welcome. cheers! Robert

Having said that although we put a similar top on the figure 6 used on number plates it seems more of a curved hook shape.As opposed to the flatter top of the 6 on the French example which I’d guess could cause some confusion with 5.Ironically using the figure 6 as it appears when typed on a computer screen is correct and clear and would obviously remove any confusion with 5 in that regard. :bulb:

Edit to add regarding the 5 v 6 numbers confusion. :wink:

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=83810&start=3000#p2238625

While ironically I think the number shown in Dean’s recent photo comparison is a 5 which would contradict the French contributor’s view of it being a 6. :confused:

Just trying to help Chap ! :wink:

A new pic of the mighty Cauvas unit !

newerf841.PNG

Carryfast:
Edit to add regarding the 5 v 6 numbers confusion. :wink:

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=83810&start=3000#p2238625

While ironically I think the number shown in Dean’s recent photo comparison is a 5 which would contradict the French contributor’s view of it being a 6. :confused:

Yes Carryfast its not easy ? So i will contact the french driver and ask him to post me the hard copy of
the advert. He is away on holiday this week. Hopefully that will give us a clearer image to work with.

DEANB:
An old Beeche’s advert.

Think that might be GEH seems to be about the time John bought it

dwall:

DEANB:
An old Beeche’s advert.

I agree! The advert is dated Dec '79 and we know that John bought it in 1980 from Beech’s. Robert

DEANB:
Just trying to help Chap ! :wink:

A new pic of the mighty Cauvas unit !

Love the way that number plate migrates across the bumper! Good pic. R

Detail of one of the many pics contributed by Dave Wallace who is definitely one of the heroes of this thread for his photographs. robert

Enderby to Horton  105 Ton (3)CLOSE.jpg

dwall:

DEANB:
An old Beeche’s advert.

Hello chap, did you by any chance work at Beeche’s garage ■■

Just received this pic,which is similar to a few others and not the best focus… :neutral_face:

Cauvas NGC ,looking heavy.

newerf847.PNG

Wonder if the back end was off an F89 or an earlier Volvo model… Robert