ERF E series

^^ note the early style handbrake lever/ valve which later became a recall .

I can’t believe it’s ten months since this thread was aired! Now then, sorry to post the same thing that I did on the 9-speed Fuller thread but not everyone reads that one.

In Patrick Dyer’s new book ERF B, C CP & E-series there is a fascinating snippet on p117 reminding us of the ‘Supertruck’ package, which was a flag-ship (bells and whistles) version of the ERF E14 tractive unit aimed at owner-drivers and prestige small fleets. The option only applied to the NTE 14-litre 320, 350 or 400-engined version with a full sleeper cab. The standard Twin-splitter or SAMT version of it was offered, BUT with the NTE 400 you could opt for a Fuller RTX14609. Perfect!

My questions are:

1. Does anyone know if examples of these NTE 400 / Fuller RTX14609 equipped were actually supplied (and any pics)?
  2. Did any such beasts exist in LHD (we know that there were LHD E14s)?

Robert

The E series i had was a 400 coupled to the 13 speed Fuller Roadranger as good as the Twin Splitter anyday. A good combination only needed the clutch to pull away.

In answer to my query above, about 400 bhp E-series with 9-speed Fullers, a fellow REVS member (‘Cookie’) has come up with the evidence for me. The James Potter unit pictured was an E14:400 with a 9-speed Fuller from new. It was driven by another senior REVS member, Phil Hilditch. Robert

robert1952:

The interior looks very well finished in that photo. You would not know that it was made from Hong Kong bucket plastic at all. :stuck_out_tongue:

[zb]
anorak:

robert1952:

The interior looks very well finished in that photo. You would not know that it was made from Hong Kong bucket plastic at all. :stuck_out_tongue:

Dunno! I do remember the interior of E-series being pleasant enough, though. Very comfortable to drive in Europe. Robert

This one has featured on here before, but Cookie found me a good picture of it. It’s an E14:400 supplied with a 13-speed Fuller, and later fitted with a tag-axle. Quite a beast, I believe! Robert

And another one Robert but later in its life ( not my pic ) Cheer’s Pete ps. Supplied by S.Jones Aldridge

In its later life it was a 350 as I seem to think it went shunting in Scunthorpe steel works and the origional engine came to grief prior to Cocker Daves ownership .

I wonder where the long (US-style) handrails up each side of the cab came from: an old ERF NGC ‘European’ perhaps? Love to know which unit they came from if that’s the case. Robert

robert1952:
I wonder where the long (US-style) handrails up each side of the cab came from: an old ERF NGC ‘European’ perhaps? Love to know which unit they came from if that’s the case. Robert

they used to take them out of old buses.

E14 400 messed about with by ■■■■■■■ uprated to about 440 coupled to 13 speed Fuller Roadranger. This truck was faultless only requiring a water pump in the years I drove it. She was ex East Coast Roadways from Aberdeen so had done a mile or two.

littlerichard:

E14 400 messed about with by ■■■■■■■ uprated to about 440 coupled to 13 speed Fuller Roadranger. This truck was faultless only requiring a water pump in the years I drove it. She was ex East Coast Roadways from Aberdeen so had done a mile or two.

Excellent! Robert :slight_smile:

Best truck that I have owned and driven over the years. E14 380 again messed about with by ■■■■■■■ she was tweaked to about 470 coupled to Eaton Twin Splitter, also on air suspension never missed a beat was totally reliable only problem was the extra power and torque was a bit to much for the Twin Split.

@ ‘littlerichard’: nice contribution old mate. I reckon the E-series ERF was one of the best ever. It was brilliant with the Twin-splitter in and even better with the Fuller. You mentioned a bit of tension between the Twin-splitter and the high torque of your tweeked E14. About that time Eaton sorted the problem out by beefing up the TS 'box to cope with the big ■■■■■■■ engines in the export models. Keep 'em coming!

@ Lawrence Dunbar: your usual excellent contributions seems to have slipped between a couple of pints there! That’s no E-series ERF!! :laughing: Robert

robert1952:
@ ‘littlerichard’: nice contribution old mate. I reckon the E-series ERF was one of the best ever. It was brilliant with the Twin-splitter in and even better with the Fuller. You mentioned a bit of tension between the Twin-splitter and the high torque of your tweeked E14. About that time Eaton sorted the problem out by beefing up the TS 'box to cope with the big ■■■■■■■ engines in the export models. Keep 'em coming!

@ Lawrence Dunbar: your usual excellent contributions seems to have slipped between a couple of pints there! That’s no E-series ERF!! :laughing: Robert

It must be the Malts Im on tonight, But heres an E series just for you Robert, Regards Larry.

curnock:

robert1952:

they used to take them out of old buses.

I had them on an ergo Mercury- chrome plated towel rails from the local DIY shop!