eddie stobart

truckerjimbo:

nsmith1180:

truckerjimbo:

UKtramp:
exceptional circumstances will always exist, plenty of cases where people have had claims counter claimed through negligence of not following company policy & not wearing supplied PPE. Your case is a different ball game and extreme being crushed by an FLT.

I smell a walking floor full of bull s**t.

Nothing to explain really. The FLT was too blind to see me and crushed me. Simple really. It was a 5T FLT.

I smell the sweet smell of £££. :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Probably caused by you not wearing a high viz you Muppet.

I rest my case. Case closed. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Going back to the original post; Stobart Biomass drivers have to throw ratchet straps over their trailers to keep the top sheet secured.
If the throw does not clear the trailer it could come right back at you.

I think wearing a hard hat is sensible enough.

truckerjimbo:

Well good luck to you if you secured a positive outcome.

Grandtrousers:
Going back to the original post; Stobart Biomass drivers have to throw ratchet straps over their trailers to keep the top sheet secured.

Who told you that load of pish? :confused:

A.

UKtramp:

truckerjimbo:

Very good luck to him. He has just rested his case on an admission of contributory negligence.

Adonis.:

Grandtrousers:

A.

Its not a load of pish. Several SBTL drivers will throw ratchet straps over the roof to hold the roof in place while traveling the trailer with the sheet open. They don’t ‘have’ to do it, in fact its frowned upon, but it does happen. I would have thought the biggest roof related risk however would come from the throw over strap and the additional weight provided by half of Pets at Home tied onto the end.

nsmith1180:

UKtramp:

truckerjimbo:

Very good luck to him. He has just rested his case on an admission of contributory negligence.

Adonis.:

Grandtrousers:

A.

Its not a load of pish. Several SBTL drivers will throw ratchet straps over the roof to hold the roof in place while traveling the trailer with the sheet open. They don’t ‘have’ to do it, in fact its frowned upon, but it does happen. I would have thought the biggest roof related risk however would come from the throw over strap and the additional weight provided by half of Pets at Home tied onto the end.

Except it is pish as roofs are held with their own straps, a weighted lanyard is what’s thrown over to get the straps clear.

Throwing a strap or a lanyard over and not clearing the trailer will not result in either of them coming right back at you, so what he said was pish.

A.

Adonis.:

nsmith1180:

UKtramp:

truckerjimbo:
I rest my case. Case closed. [emoji38] [emoji38] [emoji38] [emoji38]

Adonis.:

Grandtrousers:

A.

Except it is pish as roofs are held with their own straps, a weighted lanyard is what’s thrown over to get the straps clear.

Throwing a strap or a lanyard over and not clearing the trailer will not result in either of them coming right back at you, so what he said was pish.

A.

A closed roof is secured with its own straps. A roof being travelled in the open position should be secured with ratchet straps to stop it moving around in transit. Note, most if not all SBTL trailers lack auto-sheets.

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

Grandtrousers:

Don’t know much about walking floors, but I’ve chucked a strap (hook end) over the top of a tilt many a time and never had it come back to me boomerang style…ever.
You must have some freak strong winds where you go bud… :smiley:

lolipop:
I used to deliver to a store in Luton Arndale the warehouseman always wore safety glasses.When I asked,out of curiousity,why he said he once had an accident sometime back which could have caused him a serious eye injury,so now he takes no chances. although he has never had another accident since.
All down to personal preference and Company H&S rules

I can understand the glasses,time and time again I have done curtains up only to have dust and crap blown into my eyes during windy times,so annoying,keep saying i’m going to start wearing safety glasses but never do.

I got refused entry to Arla Foods near Aylesbury last week. We’d been asked to go in and pick up some palletised engineering equipment from something called the power generation yard. It’s basically an open yard, behind a gate about 50 yards from the side of the main plant building. I had a hard hat, hi viz, safety gloves & glasses & steel toe boots but non of them were required. I was refused entry because I was wearing shorts!

I would be refused anywhere wearing shorts, I just don’t have the legs nowadays,

When I deliver boats down to Penton Hook Marina (opposite Thorpe Park), the jobs worth yard man there makes you sign a form stating you understand H&S policy, then he demands that you wear hi viz, hard hat and steels…

I went in there in shorts and a t shirt, unstrapped the boat and was then told I had to stand outside the yellow marked zone due to non compliance while they craned off the boat from my low loader boat trailer. I gave in and put a hard hat on, a pound land hi viz and chanced my arm telling him that my converse toe cap was in fact, metal. He didnt buy that so I got my metal DM’s out the locker and walked around like an astronaut.

That was until matey asked me to climb up on the boat before they lift it off to put down some fenders and attach ropes…I looked down and said "what, in these f*****g things? I can hardly walk let alone climb.

All of a sudden H&S went sideways and he suggested I put my converse back on. H&S should be relevant to the situation, not imposed inappropriately.

paulypaul:
When I deliver boats down to Penton Hook Marina (opposite…

All of a sudden H&S went sideways and he suggested I put my converse back on. H&S should be relevant to the situation, not imposed inappropriately.

And this sums up why people get so ■■■■■■ cross about H&S. In practice, it often has sweet FA to do with protecting you.
Its purely a CYA exercise for most firms. It’s usually l function is to be abused by jobsworth security bods, to make themselves feel important.
The second it is inconvenient, or requires extra labour to enforce, it becomes less important.
I had the same thing earlier this year at XPO Trafford Park. Had hi viz, hard hat, toe tectors, but no long trousers. I had to drive away and park up near the local screwfux (not easy round there), but the cheapest long trousers I could find (also hi viz) and go back.
Once on site, h&s was a joke. I nearly got thrown out of the cab window, trying to screw the trailer round over the old railway lines going through the yard.
Anyway, as I left, I pulled up at the security kiosk and gave the security guard a beep. He was a deeply tanned fellow, with a west African accent. He looked up. I said ‘I’ve still got my trousers on’ and opened the door, so he could see them. Around my ankles :slight_smile:. He nearly burst a blood vessel, Hahaha.

Think i mentioned this before…but i loaded at a place in france…i had to park in a yellow box…open the curtains ( one side only at a time ) but stand well away from the vehicle at the edge of the building, and keep on my yellow hat, gloves, steelies, hi viz jacket, oh and had to change into long trousers…there was only me and the forkie on site.

I was refused loading in southampton when i was on tankers…cos my hard hat was RED…and it clashed with the firemen stationed there…ha ha …they did loan me a yellow one after a while.

With the amount of claims for alledged Industrial injury / damages that are made against Companies,it becomes a case of damage limitation.
As long as a Company has strict H&S Rules in place and an Employee fails to comply then any case for alledged negligence etc etc becomes very flimsy.
So why take a chance of nothing happening.

robroy:

Grandtrousers:

Don’t know much about walking floors, but I’ve chucked a strap (hook end) over the top of a tilt many a time and never had it come back to me boomerang style…ever.
You must have some freak strong winds where you go bud… :smiley:

I throw like a girl, which is why when I did tilt work the hook regularly hit the side of the trailer and came back at me, and hard hats might have been a good idea when knock boards out while stood on the floor and for when them roof poles made a bid for freedom. It’s a wonder how any of us survived tilts, maybe we were more agile in those days. :slight_smile:

syramax:
yep !! :smiley: full pay, saved money on my 45mile daily round trip and got 4 days holiday back . :smiley: they made a example out of me :smiley: :smiley:

nice,that was a result without a doubt

robroy:
Travis Perkins are the worst for it, the driver has to wear a hard hat, but everybody else in the yard is exempt.
Probably some insurance type crap idea.

Franglais:

robroy:
Travis Perkins are the worst for it, the driver has to wear a hard hat, but everybody else in the yard is exempt.

Seen the same around other builder’s merchants’ yards. Staff and visiting drivers wearing PPE, but with builders wearing camouflage cement stained gear, and Joe Public in open toe sandals.
Can’t be anything to do with them actually being the paying customers can it?

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

Yeah, this was at Great Yarmouth branch a couple of years ago just as TP started getting really silly with the H&S BS! I forwarded this picture to there head office and told them it was very sweet of them to be all concerned about the drivers welfare but maybe the customers should be spoken to as well for their own good. I wouldn’t normally try to get yard lads in the poop but being as they at this branch in particular are a miserable bunch of so and so’s I thought what the hell, bloody hypocrites.

nomiS36:

robroy:

Franglais:

robroy:

Seen the same around other builder’s merchants’ yards. Staff and visiting drivers wearing PPE, but with builders wearing camouflage cement stained gear, and Joe Public in open toe sandals.
Can’t be anything to do with them actually being the paying customers can it?

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

Yeah, this was at Great Yarmouth branch a couple of years ago just as TP started getting really silly with the H&S BS! I forwarded this picture to there head office and told them it was very sweet of them to be all concerned about the drivers welfare but maybe the customers should be spoken to as well for their own good. I wouldn’t normally try to get yard lads in the poop but being as they at this branch in particular are a miserable bunch of so and so’s I thought what the hell, bloody hypocrites.

Yep TP are the worst for it !
Have you had the red steering wheel cover yet ?