Eddie stobart job cuts

waddy640:

ady1:

Mike-C:

Bewick:

wirralpete:
reckon in a years time there will be a programme on five about stobart o/ds

Eddie Stobart- Tears and tantrums! :slight_smile:

If you were an O/D in my day you had an ā€œAā€ licenced motor or at very least a ā€œBā€ licence and you could work for whom you chose oh! and you bought your own motor and taxed and insured it as well as bought your own tyres and derv !!! IMHO being an o/d for ESL is a joke itā€™s just a scam to get ā€œout from underā€ employee obligations,where will their ā€œO/D operational HQā€ be ? Lagos ? or maybe Grand Caymen Isles,it has a better ring to it !! Cheers Bewick.

Just when did this owner driver/but not really malarkey start? A lot of the brick companies and tarmac/road companies have operated like this for a very long time. I first worked for Stobarts maybe 10 years ago and they had owner operators then, in their own colours mind, and i got the impression they almost always had since they started?
Subbying is, although iā€™ve done it, assisting to cut your own throat. And like you say, and youā€™re not far off the mark, Stobart Group Ltd is registered in Jersey or Guernsey !!!
Many people still believe that Eddie Stobarts is a ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  haulier made good and if you slag them off then youā€™re jealous, they donā€™t realise that ā€˜Eddie Stobartsā€™ is in actual fact just a ā€˜brand nameā€™ for numerous investment companies with some of the companies they bought out having very small shares in it. Indeed even Edward Stobart had filed for bankrupcy just before his death. As it is now its just a business model. A succesful one albeit, but thats all it is. Nothing more.

zb hell weve had know it all van drivers sticking there oar in[robk,] now weve got a pick-up[advertising board ]driver having his two-penith[mike-c],what makes either of you think you can tell me[[skilled truck driver] what to do :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: when your as good/done as much/reached the pinnacle like me then come back,i might listen,but for now stick to telling what you both know[which is sweet f.a] to the other 99.9% of useless [zb] on here

I think someone has struck a very raw nerve here.

does the hospital cleaner tell the surgeon how to do a operation :question: of course not,so why should i have to accept advice from van/pick up/cowboy drivers, :question:

ady1:

commonrail:
they`re trying to give u advice but u seem unwilling to accept it

there not trying to give me advice at all,there just trying to belittle someone whos prepared to try and better himself,why,because of there own failures to better themselfes,they hate the fact i will suceed where they havent.
which is where im different to them,id be telling that person,BEST of luck,hope you achieve what t
you want,if you dont at least youve tried.
whereas all there thoughts are HOPE he fails,then we cant rip the [zb] out of him.
whatever they say,im a better person than theyll ever be thats for sure :exclamation:

I have been around long enough to be wary of what appear to be good deals. The normal thing is that if a business is offering something their own interests come first.

What has been pointed out on this thread are some of the pitfalls that can occur. It is up to the individual to try and avoid as many of these potential hazards as possible.

Rob K:

oldsid:

Mike-C:

oldsid:
Take this as advice or dont but

1]They will use your naivety to their advantage

2] The first time you are in genuine need of a helping hand watch them dissapear into the woodwork

3]Count how many times they say ā€œIts your wagonā€ or ā€œwelcome to the real worldā€

4]Hold you over a barrel more than they can now because they own you more than when you could walk away, all you have done is firmly shackle yourself to them, its not brainsurgery!!

Thats exactly how i see it Sid.
Another thing that suprises me, is how are they shedding jobs and then advertising for more workers (even on a self employed basis), i thought the work had to really not be there before they could get shut of you, or they had to offer you alternatives?
If Stobarts think that one man on one truck (i.e tramping) is not paying iā€™m struggling to see how one man will make it pay for himself. I thought they relied on economies of scale.
Thereā€™s a reason that one man bands are going to the wall slowly as are smaller hauliers, maybe Stibarts have just found the answer to reverse that trend? Iā€™d doubt it.

Yes I agree. At the end of the day its about changing the goalposts and exploitation of peoples enthusiasm, in a nutshell who,s going to work harder , a man with money and an ego invested or a man with an ego and nothing to lose. I feel sorry for whoever jumps in as Ive run my own business for twenty odd years and employed half a dozen lads, its tough out there and the minute you change places you are out in the cold, and its a lonely place to be, it takes a special sort of person and as Ive said before drivers in the main arnt it and thats where the exploitation will come in. they will be like a fish on a hook or an addict to a dealer

The ā€œsort of personā€ it takes is one that is too blinkered/stupid/thick (delete as appropriate, however no deleting necessary for Ady1 as all apply) to see past the end of their noses and notice that there are far easier and more profitable ways of earning money in trucking than running your own.

so this is pointing out the pitfalls :question:

Rob K:

Bewick:
There are another couple of areas not touched on, first one is trailer hire ! As an O/d,mug or frachisee or whatever you are only supplying traction so there will be a reduction to reflect the costs of a trailer which might be charged/deducted at a flat weekly/monthly price or maybe at a pence per mile charge,either way it will mean a reduction in earnings expectation !! Then,of course,theres the thorny question of do you get payed for empty running,I would think not in ESLā€™s case ( weā€™re not a charitable organisation Son !) and if what I read about ESLā€™s cockeyed planning on the thread I would think that empty running will exceed laden operation by a wide margin !! All in all I would believe at best that embarking as an ESL O/D or mug would produce,at best, for the unfortunate individual a ā€œbreak evenā€ each week/month or at worst,more than likely, a situation where costs exceed earnings so there will be a Bill on itā€™s way for the difference from the ESL accounts office,sounds like nice work if you are prepared to pay ESL to operate on their behalf ! Bewick.

ADY1 IS GOING TO PROVE YOU WRONG. GAR!

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

and this

gazzad:
Cant wait for him to prove that to us all. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

and this

Bewick:

gazzad:
Cant wait for him to prove that to us all. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Ady1 could possibly post a daily thread on this site to keep us up to speed on how well he was doing as one of the ESL ā€œchosen onesā€!! now that would be worth watching,far better than the Bollox they put on TV about the firm. Providing , of course he wasnā€™t doubling the numbers he was ā€œdivulgingā€ so as to put a gloss on the scheme and cause a queue to form outside the Chuckle bros. offices. Cheers Bewick. :grimacing: :grimacing: :bulb:

and this

Wheel Nut:
So did they actually convince more drivers to remortgage their granny?

Wheel Nut:
Cor! look what dropped through my letterbox this morning. I have used quote marks just to separate the advert from my own comments.

Eddie Stobart is requiring 50 Owner Drivers to be working from October 2011.

What we require from you:

Be a tramper, ideally based in Yorkshire, North West or Midlands.

A certificate of Professional Competence (ā€œCPCā€) held by yourself.

A course has been arranged for late August/early September 2011 at Widnes to gain a CPC

Exam date is 9th September 2011. Results are expected 2/3 weeks after the exam.

Have an O licence.

Around Ā£5000 for initial start up costs.

Eddie Stobart will provide:

Guaranteed regular work.

A fully maintained BRAND NEW tractor unit including R&M (service costs), Isotrak costs for a fixed monthly cost.

Tyres charged on a usage, (pence per mile) basis.

Trailers.

Insurance.

Toll tags.

Fuel.

Parking.

Your responsibilities include:

Your current driver duties.

Manning of the vehicle including your rest days when required.

Booking and delivering of vehicle for servicing and MOT

Eddie Stobart will also provide assistance (via an independent third party) at a fixed start up cost with:

Accounting/book keeping services.

Tax Services.

Cashflow planning services.

TO APPLY. Please pick up an application form from your Operations Manager

OPEN TO ESL EMPLOYEES ONLY

Wheel Nuts stick in spokes mode:

CPC Result. 8 to 10 weeks after exam :exclamation:

Operator Licence Application. Allow up to 9 weeks. Do not acquire vehicle until licence is granted :exclamation:

Financial Requirements Ā£8100 :exclamation:

Sufficient cash to pay spare driver or drivers for rest periods :exclamation:
No excuses for I cannot get a driver tonight

:question: Are they really an owner driver, they cannot plan their own work, I doubt they can go and pull for Wincantons, DHL or Norbert Dentressangle tomorrow evening.

:question: Tyres. How many pence per mile?

:question: Fuel. At what cost per litre and how long are payment terms?

I think this is enough to start with.

Just remember the GAR :stuck_out_tongue:

and this

waddy640:
Eddie Stobart is requiring 50 Owner Drivers to be working from October 2011.

Should read ā€œSelf-employed mugsā€. No holiday or sick pay, no pension. What happens if you are injured, who pays your bills? If anyone goes for this then they are definitely of unsound mind.

It is all the things that arenā€™t mentioned in the advert that count, the sun doesnā€™t shine every day.

you even said MUGS :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: ,is that youre way of pointing out the pitfalls,calling me a MUG :exclamation: :exclamation: ,IM NOT STUPID,YOURE NOT EITHER,YOU DONT WANT ME TO SUCEED,YOU ALL WANT ME TO FAIL,LOOSE THE LOT,HOUSE,CAR,MRS,BANKCRUPT,NOW THAT REALLY WOULD BE THE ICING ON THE CAKE WOULDNT IT,go on admit it,all this were trying to help you,yea right :unamused:

If you wish to take up their offer then I hope it all works out for you, just be careful.

Because you have had the benefit of a lot of years knowledge in this industry, you choose to ā– ā– ā– ā–  an ear yet ignore it all. From the initial advert that you mentioned to the actual advert being posted here by me, there has been a lot of sensible advice that anyone with an ounce of sense would listen to.

You are obviously on your own wind up and are being obtusive to everyone who may help you along the way, what Stobart is advertising is fairly borderline to being illegal, if not immoral, donā€™t get me wrong, their lawyers will have checked everything and the contract will be biased towards them, that is how big business works. The first time an owner driver steps out of line, that will be the time they will drop you like a hot chestnut,

When this idea was first muted I said you were a fool but wished you luck, after all it is your inheritance you are wasting, what you have never had, you will never miss.

I still think you are a fool, but I also think you are on a wind up too. :stuck_out_tongue:

+1

Stobart Group Ltd (LSE: STOB) (trading as Stobart Group) is a large British multimodal logistics company, with interests in Transport and Distribution, Estates, Infrastructure and Civils, Air and Biomass, through operations in the United Kingdom, Ireland and Belgium. The company is incorporated in Guernsey but has operational head offices in Carlisle, ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  and Widnes, Cheshire but hopes eventually to re-locate its Carlisle, ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  offices to a new, purpose-built building at Carlisle Lake District Airport, where it owns a 150-year lease expiring in 2150.

Cheap tax in Guernsey? :laughing:

Canā€™t hear much. The sound of all the toys falling out of the pram is positively deafening old chapā€¦ :laughing:

ady1:

gazzad:

and this

My god the line has gone tight.such a bite.Ady 1 if your so good as you big yourself up to be why dont you buy your own truck and trailer instead of tagging along with the dribble of the Stobart clowns.Maybe you are not that good to go and sort it yourself you just want it on a plate. :smiley:

In most business models, a company pays in order to outsource or hedge its business risk. In this example, ESL is charging to outsource or hedge its business risk. Brilliant idea, the stockholders will love it, it irons out cyclicality and business risk becomes a revenue stream.

All it needs is someone good-hearted enough to be prepared to pay to shoulder someone elseā€™s burden. Ady, you are a very generous fellow.

Truckulent:
Canā€™t hear much. The sound of all the toys falling out of the pram is positively deafening old chapā€¦ :laughing:

Maybe its all his Stobart toy trucks he is going to run and show everybody. :laughing:

TonyS:
In most business models, a company pays in order to outsource or hedge its business risk. In this example, ESL is charging to outsource or hedge its business risk. Brilliant idea, the stockholders will love it, it irons out cyclicality and business risk becomes a revenue stream.

All it needs is someone good-hearted enough to be prepared to pay to shoulder someone elseā€™s burden. Ady, you are a very generous fellow.

+1

PMSL

hi all been reading many peoples posts and advice, i havent really seen sorry read what are the rewards in doing this,and how much cash will this guy earn on a weekly basis, surly it cant be any better than being employed by stobarts,or any other company,i just dont understand, i posted on here few weeks back about a job offer,what the firm was like etc i was given good advice and opinions, and i listened to all, and made decision not to take job, so why is this guy being stupid and doing what he is going to do, as i said i dont understand just dont, may be some one can tell me WHY, :slight_smile: i see that ady can get upset but hey you do whats best for your family etc good luck pal,

ady1:
zb hell weve had know it all van drivers sticking there oar in[robk,] now weve got a pick-up[advertising board ]driver having his two-penith[mike-c],what makes either of you think you can tell me[[skilled truck driver] what to do :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: when your as good/done as much/reached the pinnacle like me then come back,i might listen,but for now stick to telling what you both know[which is sweet f.a] to the other 99.9% of useless [zb] on here

Ady, not sure why yourā€™re so agressive and defensive. Iā€™m not trying to tell you anything. WHatever you do iā€™d say good luck to you and really wish you it. I was talking about Stobarts and their business development and model.I could be wrong, but as far as i can see i havnā€™t said anywhere what you or anyone else should do regards Stobarts. I liked my time there it was great. It still looks like a great company to drive for if you wanna go drive a lorry. Iā€™m guessing here as i havnā€™t read it and i know you work(ed) for them that you are about to/or considering this owner driver route?
Actually thinking back to when everyone else was going on short hours, less money etcā€¦ i remember you bragging that everything was fine for you and what where we on about. Now youā€™re about to sell your soul for your job!! Good luck !!!
Tell them i still got my fuel card and never handed it backā€¦!!!

(thats up for sale if any steady eddie fans wanna buy it!!!) I wish iā€™d of never got rid of my tie :smiley:

Anyway Ady, i really wish you well. Youā€™re better when youā€™re out all day occupied and earning. Some people don;t do well with time on their hands to do other things.And your grasp of who you are talking to and about what seems to be suffering.