Duke of Normandie

dave docwra:

robert1952:

dave docwra:

robert1952:
I shipped on the Duke of Normandie many times. Here’s a pic taken by the ship’s photographer as I boarded it in 2000, and a later pic I took of my wagon in 2004 whilst waiting to board it at Ouistreham. Robert

Hi Robert, Is that a DTS trailer you are coupled to?

Regards Dave.

Yes, you’re right! It was a DTS and I was inbound from Morocco. Robert

Amazing the penny has just dropped that we have met, I think you did some work with an asian guy who had been pulling for DTS for a short time before he moved over to Davies Turner, you would have been contracting for Dalys the same time as George Wales, John Chivers, George Sommerville, Dave (poss) from Devon & I think a chap by the name of Fisher or maybe it was Digi Dave was running the International department out of the Brimsdown depot, not sure if Bill King was still pulling for them after they had left Hornsey.

Spot on mate! I was driving for Jeff Welton at the time, and as you say, George Wales, John Chivers and Billy King were all on at that time, along with Brian White, Skelly and a few others too. The Dave you mention was Dave Clarke from Cornwall and the ‘Asian’ you mention was Ranjit from Milton Keynes - I ended up driving for him for a while, later on when he was on for Davies Turner. Cheers, Robert.

heres 1 of the man himself me and john running upto calais in shell near bailen rare for us running upto calais liked john robert what a laugh .wonder where skelly is now another character :smiley:

Crikey, I had forgotten about Brian White with his Magnum…

Those lads: that’s how I got on DTS. I had just left Breda Transport and was at a loose end. It was Christmas and John Chivers asked me to take his wagon for a couple of Marocco trips; then Brian White’s dad was ill so I took his Magnum down; then Dave Clarke went into hospital so I took his Merc down there; then Jeff Welton wanted a driver so I took over the Eurostar. All this in rapid succession. It certainly kept me off the streets! Robert :laughing:

Hi Robert, Not sure if you ever had the chance to run with George Sommerville who by the Brimsdown days would have had his space cab Daf by then, he in my opinion was a real diamond bloke who would do anything to help someone out, he even once drove across Romania overnight to bring me spare clothes & money when I was in a little spot of trouble & help sort out the local customs & police for me.

dave docwra:
Hi Robert, Not sure if you ever had the chance to run with George Sommerville who by the Brimsdown days would have had his space cab Daf by then, he in my opinion was a real diamond bloke who would do anything to help someone out, he even once drove across Romania overnight to bring me spare clothes & money when I was in a little spot of trouble & help sort out the local customs & police for me.

Yes, I remember the name. Like so many drivers, one didn’t always remember the name but knew the face and knew the man! Robert

Dave I remember George well I travelled with him a few times down to Romania when I was doing Turkey for D.T.S.like you say he is a great guy. I see from Facebook that he still visits Romania not working I think.

1978 picture of “Prinses Beatrix” on Sea trials, prior to entering service with
SMZ, the Dutch leg of Sealink. Eight years later she became “Duke De Normandie”
with Brittany Ferries, and opened the new route from Portsmouth to Ouistreham.
Her regular route was Harwich to Hook of Holland for almost eight years with SMZ.

A few years later,seen leaving Portsmouth en route to Ouistreham. Ray Smyth.

Bewick:

toby1234abc:
Anyone sailed on her,a small ship,that would rock around and make you sea sick,a Brittany ferry line vessel,she is still working in an obscure part of the world.

I was under the distinct impression that “The Duke of Normandy” was “Fergie”!!! Anon.

“Duke of Bretagne”…still having trouble with reading a map then Den…must be the smoke in your eyes from all those old Percy’s you’ve got hidden in them hills…?

dave docwra:
Crikey, I had forgotten about Brian White with his Magnum…

Yep! I did a trip to Casablanca for Brian in that Magnum in early 2000 when his dad was ill. Good trip. Nice motor to drive. And Brian was as sound as a pound for drive for. Robert

Heres one Ray,will have a look and see if i have anymore.

This is the “PRINCE OF BRITTANY” approaching Portsmouth, en route from St Malo,
some time in the 80s. In 1988, she was re-named “REINE MATHILDE”, and commenced
operating with “DUKE DE NORMANDIE” on the Portsmouth-Ouistreham route.

Bit of trivia for any Trucknet “History Buffs”, William The Conquerer was “Duke De Normandie”,
and “Reine Mathilde” was his wife, so they were back together on the English Channel.

Ray Smyth.

Here she is making a rare visit to Poole.

“Duke De Normandie” inaugurated the Portsmouth to Ouistreham (Caen) service on June 6th (D-Day) 1986.
Judging by the date on the “Sea Breezes” magazine, this will be one of the first arrivals at Ouistreham.
The holidaymakers are on Sword Beach having a close up look at “Duke De Normandie”. Where they are
sat, later became the car and lorry lanes, leading to the double deck linkspan which opened in 1992.

Ray Smyth.

“Duke De Normandie” leaving Portsmouth en route to Ouistreham (Caen) on a fine sunny day.
“Portsmouth Queen” is alongside at Gosport, soon to make the short crossing to Portsmouth.
Regards, Ray Smyth.

Gosport Ferry.jpg

Brittany Ferries “Val De Loire” and “Bretagne” near Plymouth in 1993. Ray Smyth.

Ray Smyth:
“Duke De Normandie” leaving Portsmouth en route to Ouistreham (Caen) on a fine sunny day.
“Portsmouth Queen” is alongside at Gosport, soon to make the short crossing to Portsmouth.
Regards, Ray Smyth.

Ray… coincidentally, my old uncle, (once he’d retired from the navy after 40 odd years) was in the ticket office on the Gosport side of the ferry for ages, he gave it up in his early eighties…as a kid I use to play down by the “Hard” as it was known, watching all the military ships and subs coming in and out the harbour and the “mudlarks” digging for a penny that people would throw to them…I think the Ferry is still running, although it’s years since I’ve been there…

Brittany Ferries Duc De Normandie and Normandie seen together at Portsmouth, May 16th 1992.
It was unusual to see both vessels together, other than in mid channel. Normandie, in this photo
has recently arrived from the shipyard in Finland where it was built. Duc De Normandie opened
the new route from Portsmouth to Ouistreham (Caen) on June 6th (D-Day) in 1986.

Anyone sailed on her,a small ship,that would rock around and make you sea sick,a Brittany ferry line vessel,she is still working in an obscure part of the world.

toby1234abc:

I was under the distinct impression that “The Duke of Normandy” was “Fergie”!!! Anon.