Drivers Nicknames 50s Era Onwards

Hi tubbysboy was toyshop the who worked for ucons if so he is out in Thailand with Steve and myself

Tubbysboy:
Few more I’ve just recalled…
Toyshop (so much toot in the window)
No ag (every question was answered with no ag…as in agrro I suppose ? )
Bacon gobbler ( northern bloke)
Dave Del don’t drink a lot (never drunk…apart from being locked up in felixstowe getting off the boat)

I ran with a guy called Dirty ■■■■ dont know if its the same one mentioned, but fits the bill, came from penge…Rabbit also worked with us and so did Egg on Legs, was often called Chalky

When I worked on Jarvis Robinson in the 60s in Liverpool I was called Fab 2nd day at work I was asked by the lads as we sat in Stan Waters cafe on our way to the docks ,how did I like the job as a cool cat on the day I said it was Fab so that was my nickname. We had the archbishop because he always worked Sunday badger because his coat was covered in truck badges I have known crack of dawn always started at 4am the flying pig ,very fat and always speeding and one god bless him was called poison nob because two of his wives had died sick I know

Council workers when I was a sweeper driver:

Gobby…self explanatory
Twiglet…that thin, if the wind blew he had to hang onto something to avoid being blown away
Superglue…never got out of the cab to do his bins
Butch…built like a brick outhouse
The Brigadier…never did know why we called him that
Buffalo…real old school council worker
Swedish Chef…he spoke just like the Muppet Show character
Fireman Sam…ex fireman
Alice…work that one out yourselves
Chase Me…queer as they come
Yorkie…came from York
Widget…our tame lesbian dustcart driver
Basil…his name was Barry, but Basil seemed to suit him better
Harry Potter…one of the fitters, looked just like the boy in the films
Romeo…self explanatory
Denzil…poor bloke walked in the gate on his day, and was instantly christened Denzil
Shagger…his surname was Few, he liked his ■■■■■■, so he was called Shag A Few
Dipper…he took a bath once a year, whether he needed it or not
Sophie…me, when I started on the council I had a pony tail
Badger…he had black hair with a white patch on one side of his head
Wingnut…depot manager, he had huge ears, looked just like a wingnut from behind

Just a few to be going on with there…

Rich

Many moons ago in the early 70’s, a friend, who’s name was Billy Freeman ex of Redburns transport of Brimsdown and then on with me on the Cawthorn contract with Thorn’s was always known as centre bolt, you only had to see him walking down the street crab wise to know why, lovely man.

Ossie

Stanfield:
Lads I worked with during the 60s/70s. Fingers,Castro,Coller & Tie,and Bullwinkle,all great lads.

Fingers,was he scouser and drove a Tanker for Calor ?

I recall working with a right jumpy Jack, He got called Fire Engine Fred because he used to fly, He was also called the Mad Monk for his unusual behaviour & of course his bald head, He new everything about nowt, & Nowt about anything, Regards Larry.

I remember from onward/ackworth transport
tom thumb
black dog
flitwick harry
■■■■■■
wurzel
mickey mouse
■■■■ o leaky
gob on legs
tut
egg dip
old king cole
elvis
soldier blue
loads more that I cant remember,
ill be back :imp: :imp:

:laughing:

A good pal of mine (RIP), called Bobby Wilkinson got the first new wagon where we worked with flashing indicators on, He got the nickname of Winkeypop because he used to use the flashers when negotiating a bend in the road, We used to wind him up no end about this habit, But he took it in good form, He was a real nice bloke to work with, Regards Larry.

Lawrence Dunbar:
Can any of you oldies remember nicknames given to drivers, Regards Larry.

At my time at J Stirlands in Nottingham
Nearly every driver warehouse staff/traffic office garage staff all had nicknames even the management
Jack Stirland = Muscle Jack
Accountant Peter Hulme = Cardinal
Drivers The Big Bopper, Odd Legs, Two Cells,Twearly,Thousand ■■■■■,Chalkie White,Nobby Clarke,GingerHughes,The Missing Link,Black Bob,Mrs Mills,just a few names I can remember
In the garage there was Mongo,The Honey Monster, Shag
Good happy times

Many years ago I worked with a ‘narner’ (banana?) and ‘squirrel’, but no idea why they were called that.

There were two drivers on for Tilcon out of Gore quarry,one was Bonus RIP and the other who is still driving was Little Bonus,not related, nicknames arose from the Tilcon bonus scheme,and these were the two who chased the bonus.
Cheers Dave.

Bewick:
We had quite a number at Bewick Transport,some I can remember,some I can’t but here’s a few, “Kentucky fried”,“Question mark”('cause he was shaped like one :wink: ) “Delicate” (17 st.) " The Breadman", “The Weasel”,“Musky”,“Horse Breath”,“The Vicar” (worked every Sunday) “Flipping 'Eck”(never swore), “Batchy”,“Chuffer”,“Tonka”,“Home and Away”,“Slap Head”,“Emerald”( 'cause he was [zb] green).many others but can’t remember.Cheers Bewick.

We had a “Vicar” at Humber McVeighs too Dennis,not for your reason,he was always in a pub called The Church Inn!

David

I recall working with a bloke and his nickname was Humpty, Mind you he was a bit humpty backed, He reckoned it was caused by ■■■■■■■ bags of farm produce in his younger days, I didn’t believe what he said because he was on of the laziest little ■■■■■ that I ever worked with, He couldn’t carry an empty bag never mind a full one, he pulled more strokes over his driver mates the Tommy Walls made Sausages, Regards Larry.

chris everitt:
Hi tubbysboy was toyshop the who worked for ucons if so he is out in Thailand with Steve and myself

Tubbysboy:
Few more I’ve just recalled…
Toyshop (so much toot in the window)
No ag (every question was answered with no ag…as in agrro I suppose ? )
Bacon gobbler ( northern bloke)
Dave Del don’t drink a lot (never drunk…apart from being locked up in felixstowe getting off the boat)

Chris,

Yes think he did used to work for Ukon. He drove for Bob Gower then worked for me Dad. When he jacked in overnight we found his lorry in the yard and he even taken the mirrors off !!! I can remember me Dad saying to him f@@k me toyshop I’ll never buy a Magnum for you to drive as you’d end up wallpapering the window…

Another two comes to mind one bloke I worked with was called Elvis because he was a lookalike for Pressley then man from Memphis, The other one was Greengrass, Just like the Heartbeat one, Regards Larry.

J & W Watt had a shunter at London Colney depot who had one hell of a lump on the side of his neck,it didn’t seem to bother him but his nickname was “Two headed Mick”.Cheers Bewick.

Another one I recall, Up & Down, He had one leg shorter than the other, Regards Larry.

Bewick:
J & W Watt had a shunter at London Colney depot who had one hell of a lump on the side of his neck,it didn’t seem to bother him but his nickname was “Two headed Mick”.Cheers Bewick.

That’s just reminded me Dennis,SoM had a driver nicknamed Tom Thumb,he had an extra thumb on his right hand thumb,if you know what I mean!

David