Drivers Nicknames 50s Era Onwards

Worked for an Essex tipper company…just some of the names I can recall… Ecky thump… The Misteron … Blondie. … Conolel… Bunny… Traffic … And several more non repeatable ones…

:unamused:

At Pickfords we had a few "mile a minute " , " Rolo " , " muscles " and "sammyopisite "

at Sykes we had " Pancho " , " gob on legs " , " Howja " , " crazy horse " and electric feet "

cheers Johnnie :wink:

Bob the gob - not a grass just wouldn’t stop talking
Aspro - same as above
Mighty mouse (again)
Gwallt (Hair in Welsh) had lots of it.
Double crutch - always wore overalls
Mad professor -ex teacher on Mc Burney’s

Few more I’ve just recalled…
Toyshop (so much toot in the window)
No ag (every question was answered with no ag…as in agrro I suppose ? )
Bacon gobbler ( northern bloke)
Dave Del don’t drink a lot (never drunk…apart from being locked up in felixstowe getting off the boat)

Some more, Penelope Pit Stop, He was allways in the fitting shop, Steel Braces he never picked the bottom boxes up when handballing loads his mates had to do them, Pluto because of his rather large ears, Up & Down I think he was named this because he had one leg shorter than the other, Regards Larry,

Concorde because he had a large (no not that) nose
Smurff very small but dont get him mad
Fingers he lost a finger in a warehouse door
Ever ready ■■■ mad
From the 60s and 70s

Captain damage,panda[always dirty face and when rubbed eyes got the panda effect!],nobby[hung like a donkey alledgedly],colin the clutch,bugwisp,too quick mick,twinkle toes[boots always highly polished despite being on tip work],seven foot sid,bovine boots[always got cow muck on boots even thou on inter depot trailer swops?!]ta,Pete

Peter Stainbridge from British International called Jelly Legs.Still drove to Portugal in his 70’s.No longer with us.

On Thompsons we had three apprentices in the workshop called Piglet, Sow and Grinner and drivers such as Yatter, Flying Officer Kite, Titch, and Launzo.

Happy days!

David

I knew the Ferret, Uncle Fester, Rastus, All drove for the same Northeast Haulage Co, Regards Larry.

We had quite a number at Bewick Transport,some I can remember,some I can’t but here’s a few, “Kentucky fried”,“Question mark”('cause he was shaped like one :wink: ) “Delicate” (17 st.) " The Breadman", “The Weasel”,“Musky”,“Horse Breath”,“The Vicar” (worked every Sunday) “Flipping 'Eck”(never swore), “Batchy”,“Chuffer”,“Tonka”,“Home and Away”,“Slap Head”,“Emerald”( 'cause he was ■■■■■■■ green).many others but can’t remember.Cheers Bewick.

Bewick:
We had quite a number at Bewick Transport,some I can remember,some I can’t but here’s a few, “Kentucky fried”,“Question mark”('cause he was shaped like one :wink: ) “Delicate” (17 st.) " The Breadman", “The Weasel”,“Musky”,“Horse Breath”,“The Vicar” (worked every Sunday) “Flipping 'Eck”(never swore), “Batchy”,“Chuffer”,“Tonka”,“Home and Away”,“Slap Head”,“Emerald”( 'cause he was [zb] green).many others but can’t remember.Cheers Bewick.

Musky and horse breath?,soap dodgers then Dennis!

There was also Jasper Who was a look alike for the Infamous Jasper Carrot, Red face & all, But a great lad to know to say the least, Regards Larry.

pete smith:

Bewick:
We had quite a number at Bewick Transport,some I can remember,some I can’t but here’s a few, “Kentucky fried”,“Question mark”('cause he was shaped like one :wink: ) “Delicate” (17 st.) " The Breadman", “The Weasel”,“Musky”,“Horse Breath”,“The Vicar” (worked every Sunday) “Flipping 'Eck”(never swore), “Batchy”,“Chuffer”,“Tonka”,“Home and Away”,“Slap Head”,“Emerald”( 'cause he was [zb] green).many others but can’t remember.Cheers Bewick.

Musky and horse breath?,soap dodgers then Dennis!

I think the “Musky” tag was due to a type of hat he wore and was something to do with a cartoon on tele. I used to say that if one of my horses had breath like he had I’d shoot it !! :laughing: :laughing: Dennis.

I recallworking with a bloke from Manchester His Nickname was Arse Breath, A blind man could have felt the reek with his stick, Regards Larry.

Used to work with a bloke got number plate in cab with “badger”,he said his kids called him it cos of his greying hair but i think he lived in a hole and had TB,when he left took months for driver who took over his truck to get rid of stench!

I worked with a bloke in the 50s, A righty dodgey one, He was nicknamed Birdbrain, He allways thought of himself as a fly ■■■■■■, But at the same time he was a tight ■■■■■ He could peel an orange in his pocket, He is just one of the many that I encountered in my young days learning the ropes as the old saying goes, Regards Larrry.

Another one I recall, The Duck, His name was Donald of course, Not a bad lad at all, Regards Larry.

Another lad I worked alongside with He was called NOT ■■■■, His surname was Wise, Not a bad lad though just a bit pat & mick at times, Regards Larry.