Drivers Hours

live9246:
And don’t forget if you’re recovering a vehicle that is carrying ADR the recovery driver requires ADR to in the classification being carried.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Really■■?

Thought as long as someone on the vehicle had the required qualifications it could be recovered is the passenger could hold the qualification.
So if your recovering a vehicle with the driver the said driver would hold the qualification.

nick2008:

live9246:
And don’t forget if you’re recovering a vehicle that is carrying ADR the recovery driver requires ADR to in the classification being carried.

Really■■?

Thought as long as someone on the vehicle had the required qualifications it could be recovered is the passenger could hold the qualification.
So if your recovering a vehicle with the driver the said driver would hold the qualification.

I think you`re mistaken:
8.2.1.1 Drivers of vehicles carrying dangerous goods shall hold a certificate issued by the competent authority stating that they have participated in a training course and passed an examination on the particular requirements that have to be met during carriage of dangerous goods.

The driver needs a ticket. Any passenger will need DG awareness training.

Do exemptions apply to breakdown vehicles?
When a vehicle carrying dangerous goods breaks down or is involved in an RTC, it may have to be recovered by a towing vehicle. If it is supervised by the emergency services (usually the police), ADR exemption 1.1.3.1 (d) applies.

Otherwise, a new “transport unit” will be formed, and the regulations will apply conventionally. The towing vehicle or low loader (as the case may be) should carry the front orange plate and the driver be appropriately trained (though it would be acceptable for the original driver to travel where that is possible).

If those conditions cannot be met the vehicle should be moved the minimum distance to a safe place pending proper arrangements being made. This could be as directed or supervised by a police officer.

Carriers seeking to arrange recovery of their own vehicles should ensure that the recovery agent has suitably qualified staff to recover vehicles carrying dangerous goods.

From the HSE website. I was taught that you could act as the ADR holder during recovery when I did my training too.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

njl:
When recovering breakdowns and accident damage you get tacho exemption inside a 100km radius of your operating base. Commonly local firms have most ops inside the circle most days and rarely need to go on card.

Aa etc will be tacho all week as they will get work anywhere geographically.

I work in recovery too and it would seem you have read the DVSA document or listened to colleagues who don’t know.

Like the poster below I assure you there is NO EXEMPTION whatsoever.

Read the Department for Transport Dec 2018 publication. It should make things clear and it also NOW defines an emergency which EU and GB domestic do not (fully!).

In recovery you do two types of work - shunting (as I call it in recovery work or general haulage in other industry). The other type is emergency which it defines - whether a police job or someone stranded by the roadside. In the case of an emergency the Unforeseen Events applies. Do the job and then take break. (Unforeseen Events is different in recovery work compared to other businesses - almost every job you do could transpire into an unforeseen event).

A shunting job is usually taking a car from a home to a body shop or similar - no emergency involved or more simply put non-roadside.

Also it states para 9 “it would be for the driver to decide whether it was necessary to depart from the rules”. Very important if you have an infringement that you can justify ‘why’.

Your manual record sheet should show (IMO) what jobs are shunting, emergency and infringements and a tacho printout with explanation as to why. e.g. I did a SOC (scene of crime) job this morning… and only took break once it had been unloaded and under cover (it was not raining but could have been).

As the DfT doc says “it would be for the driver to decide whether it was necessary to depart from the rules” - powerful but do not attempt to misinterpret it… in case you are stopped. I keep a copy on my phone.

I wanted to write something on this a while back but haven’t got round to it.

As for EU or domestic rules - remember if you go outside the 100 km on day 1 of your shift EU rules apply until your weekly rest period. I stick to EU as domestic has no advantage.

On my last ADR course 5 months ago a lad was on the course as he required it as a recovery driver. Maybe his firm wasted his time and there money!