Drivers Health Warning

UKtramp:
I was at my brother in laws house last night attending a dinner party,

ooooooooooooooohhh - a dinner party, we’re not worthy

I have never been invited to such a thing in my entire life, I doubt anyone would want my X Reg ex Works van abandoned on their croquet lawn and tails of having a dump between the rear axles in a layby on a stormy night may not be correct attiquit- do you have to wear a cravat and a smoking jacket? - do tell - i love to know how the other half live

how the bollox do you spell ‘attiquit’ ? google don’t even know - it is a word right?

Etiquette old chap,thought I’d get that in before UKTramp/Dr Damon dazzled us with his vast knowledge of everything

Bluey Circles:

UKtramp:

Hey, he is a Stobart driver a real professional to right your not worthy. Sticking some fifth wheel grease in your hair and wiping yourself down with dashboard wipes isn’t gonna cut it. He is in a different league. That’s why when he stops for a break he gets an army of fans asking for an autograph, when we stop for a break it’s to wrestle some fellow greasy fat driver who gave you the finger while overtaking.

■■■■ this thread went to crap fast.

Yet it is the flu shots themselves that are leading to an increase in influenza infections. The flu vaccine, in other words, perpetuates the myth that flu vaccines are needed by ensuring influenza spreads more rapidly than would otherwise occur. In effect, flu vaccines spread the very infections that generate more demand for flu vaccines. The structure is a “perfect” self-perpetuating medical hoax rooted in fake science and the relentless media.

UKTrump is sadly mistaken…as usual

In all fairness, I think I’d rather just die.

adam277:

Bluey Circles:

UKtramp:

Hey, he is a Stobart driver a real professional to right your not worthy. Sticking some fifth wheel grease in your hair and wiping yourself down with dashboard wipes isn’t gonna cut it. He is in a different league. That’s why when he stops for a break he gets an army of fans asking for an autograph, when we stop for a break it’s to wrestle some fellow greasy fat driver who gave you the finger while overtaking.

■■■■ this thread went to crap fast.

Too right adam, for a twenty odd year old, you have an old head on young shoulders. Your probably one of the more sensible posters on here.

“The strain we are predominantly seeing this year is influenza A strain H3N2, and this is the same strain that hit last winter in the UK and other European centres and caused problems there. What they found in those countries was that the vaccine for H3N2 basically didn’t work and was zero per cent effective for those over 65. So maybe you could say it was predictable we would see similar issues in Australia this season." Dr Peter Collignon. M.D. and Professor of microbiology.
Note also that prevention through good hygiene: avoiding sneezing without covering mouth & nose, hand washing etc is every bit as important as anything else. Flu germs can survive on hard surfaces for days, so can be picked up from door handles etc.
A lot of the trouble for us if this strain takes hold in the UK is the state of the NHS. Winter is the NHSs busy season. Last year there were reports of overcrowding, patients on trolleys in corridors etc and there wasnt a major effect from flu. If flu hits hard this year, it won`t be pretty.

Predictions of pandemics?
Some newspapers and websites seem to deliberately misunderstand and misreport warnings. Of course it could be that some reporters are genuinely thick. And more than a few websites have their own agendas of course.
Hyped up scare mongering, followed by slagging off of all and any when the world still survives.
The other year werent we told there was a fifty-fifty chance of a pandemic, and if it arrived it would be serious? It didnt arrive (fortunately) and some shouted about how “the experts” got it all wrong. Like being told there`s a 50-50 chance of a horse winning a race, betting on it and then expecting a refund if it loses!

No one has mentioned Tamiflu (oseltamivir) so far. That is an antiviral medicine used to prevent and treat flu type A and B. Note this was downgraded on the WHO list this year (BMJ). Given the most optimistic reports suggest it reduces a flu infection by just one day, and has no effect on post viral infections, maybe a tot of whisky would be better anyway?

Not wishing to stir the pot or take sides but ones decision to take the flu jab or not should be a personal choice.

For some it could be a life saver.
For some it will have no affect.
For some it will make them feel a little poorly.
For some it could be lethal.

Based on what the media lead us to believe and UKt’s brothers advice I would have to say a common sense approach is best, know your own bodies (I spend a hell of a lot of time getting to know mine).
If you feel you will benefit from the flu jab, go get it although perhaps a few words with your GP is worth while.

For me I’m in two minds (well three according to my pyschiatrist) but will weigh up the pros and cons of letting a little prick enter my body in due course.

There’s also the pseudo pyschological affect that we can become ill just be reading about it, how many viewers of this thread have woken up with a little sniffle this morning. Me I woke up with a piece of string hanging out me mouth, luckily on this occasion it was a tea bag.

Anyway, crack on but if it helps always ensure to give your immune system a good work out through the year, I find taking part in acts others would find disgusting helps.

Franglais:
Some newspapers and websites seem to deliberately misunderstand and misreport warnings. Of course it could be that some reporters are genuinely thick. And more than a few websites have their own agendas of course.?

I can understand anyone being skeptical of health warnings or warnings in general, we are forever been told we are going to have the coldest winter since records began, the hottest summer since the heatwave of the 70s all to no avail. Let’s invade Iraq as they have weapons of mass destruction to find they have none. Flu happens all over the world and all predictions are that the flu virus that is in Australia will come here, it most certainly will do and I have no disillusion over this. It is predicted that it will be as bad an epidemic of the 60s. Point is if it is and you get it then your out for the count, complications can arise from the aftereffects so do you get a jab to help your immune system cope better and help fight it off or leave it to chance, bearing in mind it is under an hour to visit the medical center and only £7. Does the issue of will it won’t it really need to be taken apart and analysed to such a degree of people on here arguing and making a scene over. If you go on holiday and you need vaccinating against certain diseases you do it without question, you only ever question things when you have the choice of a vaccination. Would you visit a third world country and leave it to chance? Would you say that people are scare mongering? So what is so different with advice of protecting yourself against flu? Is it really a scam, of course not. Do you believe the drug companies need to sell flu vaccine in order to make money? They do that 5 million times a day with their other potions. Take advice or don’t take advice, only a fool would go on Google to see if there really is going to be an epidemic.

In other news, life is a risk.
No one gets out alive.

I’m reminded of a debate I had at a dinner party of my own once.
As I was laying on the soiree I chose the subject matter.

In this instance I chose: " The invention of medicine is a threat to mankind."

In that evolution itself is the best cure, interfering by designing drugs to assist ones immune system is very bad, not only does it allow the weak to corrupt the gene pool but it opens up mankind to fear and panic over every sniffle. Extrapolating this to it’s inevitable conclusion means the biggest species threat to the human race is the common cold, or a hybrid version of it.

This topic got side tracked to time travel and how even if a person from today was to go back 100years they would run the risk of dying from an extinct virus their bodies could not defend against without artificial assistance.

No real conclusion was formed as the drink was flowing and all my soiree’s end in the same inevitable fashion of us all smashing each others back doors in.

The fallacy of my point of view was rammed home later that year when I nearly lost my wife to the flu or rather pneumonia and a serious lung infection. Her life was saved by the very medicine and medical expertise I was initially skeptical of.

Dipper_Dave:
I’m reminded of a debate I had at a dinner party of my own once.
As I was laying on the soiree I chose the subject matter.

In this instance I chose: " The invention of medicine is a threat to mankind."

In that evolution itself is the best cure, interfering by designing drugs to assist ones immune system is very bad, not only does it allow the weak to corrupt the gene pool but it opens up mankind to fear and panic over every sniffle. Extrapolating this to it’s inevitable conclusion means the biggest species threat to the human race is the common cold, or a hybrid version of it.

This topic got side tracked to time travel and how even if a person from today was to go back 100years they would run the risk of dying from an extinct virus their bodies could not defend against without artificial assistance.

No real conclusion was formed as the drink was flowing and all my soiree’s end in the same inevitable fashion of us all smashing each others back doors in.

The fallacy of my point of view was rammed home later that year when I nearly lost my wife to the flu or rather pneumonia and a serious lung infection. Her life was saved by the very medicine and medical expertise I was initially skeptical of.

:smiley:
Post is up to (or down at) the level we expect from you, sir. Keep it up!
Red bit: some argue that because of modern medicine etc evolution of the Human Species has ended. NATURAL selection has been overcome already.

UKtramp:

Franglais:
Some newspapers and websites seem to deliberately misunderstand and misreport warnings. Of course it could be that some reporters are genuinely thick. And more than a few websites have their own agendas of course.?

I can understand anyone being skeptical of health warnings or warnings in general, we are forever been told we are going to have the coldest winter since records began, the hottest summer since the heatwave of the 70s all to no avail. Let’s invade Iraq as they have weapons of mass destruction to find they have none. Flu happens all over the world and all predictions are that the flu virus that is in Australia will come here, it most certainly will do and I have no disillusion over this. It is predicted that it will be as bad an epidemic of the 60s. Point is if it is and you get it then your out for the count, complications can arise from the aftereffects so do you get a jab to help your immune system cope better and help fight it off or leave it to chance, bearing in mind it is under an hour to visit the medical center and only £7. Does the issue of will it won’t it really need to be taken apart and analysed to such a degree of people on here arguing and making a scene over. If you go on holiday and you need vaccinating against certain diseases you do it without question, you only ever question things when you have the choice of a vaccination. Would you visit a third world country and leave it to chance? Would you say that people are scare mongering? So what is so different with advice of protecting yourself against flu? Is it really a scam, of course not. Do you believe the drug companies need to sell flu vaccine in order to make money? They do that 5 million times a day with their other potions. Take advice or don’t take advice, only a fool would go on Google to see if there really is going to be an epidemic.

Maybe I wasn`t clear enough in my post.

Warnings from experts should be taken seriously. I do get upset with the way news and other media organisations choose to report them.

Will the flu virus that is Australia come here? Quite probably. Anyone who says “it most certainly will do and I have no disillusion (sic) over this” are making a statement stronger than that made by the experts.
It could well mutate and arrive in a different form however.
Is the vaccination being offered in the UK effective against this strain or another strain should it mutate?
Peter Collignon says the A strain H3N2 currently in Aus is the same strain that was in Europe last year. Maybe those who seem to predict a worse strain, "youre out for the count", are the ones guilty of scaremongering? Some of the predictions Ive seen say it could be as bad as the sixties, NONE Ive seen say it will be.Well, apart from UK.T. Do drug companies need to sell their product to make money? Yes, of course. Do they push their drugs harder than a non-profit making organisation might? Yes, of course. The drug trial methodologies of pharma companies is a disgrace, and is all to often under supervised by politicians and under funded gov bodies. Visiting a third world country? Id take advise from the WHO website, its easy to find, you can Google it. Advise from web-sites without a clear provenance? No. I dont take any advice without question. I don`t always understand the answers, but I do try to do a little research before having a jab or whatever.
Can Google tell whether or not there will be an epidemic or pandemic this year?
No, of course not. It can find what the experts and the fools are predicting just as easily. But any who are sure/certain/positive are likely not experts.

My advice on whether or not to get a jab? I offer none. Im not a doctor. Advice a Dr. may give me, is for me, not for others. I wouldnt offer my medicines to a stranger and wouldn`t pass on advice either.

Franglais:
No, of course not. It can find what the experts and the fools are predicting just as easily. But any who are sure/certain/positive are likely not experts.

My advice on whether or not to get a jab? I offer none. Im not a doctor. Advice a Dr. may give me, is for me, not for others. I wouldnt offer my medicines to a stranger and wouldn`t pass on advice either.

You are obviously very misinformed and misunderstanding of this advice from a doctor. Advice of an immunisation jab is the same for everyone, in fact it is for the very young and old too. This is not passing medicine on to others that has been prescribed to you specifically, it is a preventative measure and for you to say a statement of experts predicting it is coming over here from Australia are not really experts simply shows your lack of understanding of any of this post. You are not a doctor is the only correct statement you have made but you seem to know the drug companies are profiteering from a flu virus so spreading scare mongering stories is laughable. My saying if you catch this it will knock you out is correct, flu will put you into bed so knocked out is a term rather than physically rendering you unconscious, this advice I gave is from a physician who has given his professional advice, not for a lorry driver to think he knows better, you either take that advice or you don’t. There is no sinister motive behind it.

UKtramp:

Franglais:

You are obviously very misinformed and misunderstanding of this advice from a doctor. Advice of an immunisation jab is the same for everyone, in fact it is for the very young and old too. This is not passing medicine on to others that has been prescribed to you specifically, it is a preventative measure and for you to say a statement of experts predicting it is coming over here from Australia are not really experts simply shows your lack of understanding of any of this post. You are not a doctor is the only correct statement you have made but you seem to know the drug companies are profiteering from a flu virus so spreading scare mongering stories is laughable. My saying if you catch this it will knock you out is correct, flu will put you into bed so knocked out is a term rather than physically rendering you unconscious, this advice I gave is from a physician who has given his professional advice, not for a lorry driver to think he knows better, you either take that advice or you don’t. There is no sinister motive behind it.

I said no such thing.
Try reading what I said again.
“Will the flu virus that is Australia come here? Quite probably. Anyone who says “it most certainly will do and I have no disillusion (sic) over this” are making a statement stronger than that made by the experts”
All the experts I have read so far talk about it being “likely” “probable” etc. Only one person I have read, you, is saying “most certainly will do”.
Just to emphasize I am not taking issue with anything said by any expert, Im taking issue with your over-interpretation of their predictions. Scare mongering stories: I did not say pharma companies were spreading any stories. I did say they were making profit from selling drugs, of course, and will if you wish point you to some info on their less than 100% use of trials etc. Scare mongering again: Approximately 33% of people with influenza are asymptomatic ([aje.oxfordjournals.org/content/167/7/775.full](http://aje.oxfordjournals.org/content/167/7/775.full)) So you saying "itwill knock you out" is wrong in about a third of cases. At least you had the grace not to blame your dinner companion for that.

Franglais:

UKtramp:

Franglais:

I said no such thing.
Try reading what I said again.
“Will the flu virus that is Australia come here? Quite probably. Anyone who says “it most certainly will do and I have no disillusion (sic) over this” are making a statement stronger than that made by the experts”
All the experts I have read so far talk about it being “likely” “probable” etc. Only one person I have read, you, is saying “most certainly will do”.
Just to emphasize I am not taking issue with anything said by any expert, Im taking issue with your over-interpretation of their predictions. Scare mongering stories: I did not say pharma companies were spreading any stories. I did say they were making profit from selling drugs, of course, and will if you wish point you to some info on their less than 100% use of trials etc. Scare mongering again: Approximately 33% of people with influenza are asymptomatic ([aje.oxfordjournals.org/content/167/7/775.full](http://aje.oxfordjournals.org/content/167/7/775.full)) So you saying "itwill knock you out" is wrong in about a third of cases. At least you had the grace not to blame your dinner companion for that.

Whatever

If anyone is interested about the levels of honesty in Big Pharma, try this link.
youtube.com/watch?v=-RXrGLolgEc
Oct 2016 Sile Lane. 13 minutes long.
Particularly relevant with regards to Tamiflu maybe. And she mentions a law the EU should be introducing in 2018.

UKtramp:

adam277:
In 2014 bird flu was meant to kill millions. Doctors advised taking precautions. Millions did not die.

There is always a killer strain of something about that doctor panic about. Unless you are old or fragile it shouldn’t concern you much.
Also I’m not going to take anyone’s word for Gospel because that would be moronic. Although I believe it is real and bad. But like I said most are and most things are.
Greater chance of coming off my motorcycle then dying of flu doesn’t mean I’m gonna stop riding as a preventive measure.

If doctors ruled the country we would be popping pills having jabs every other day for preventative reasons.

Sent from mobile spelling and grammar off.

Doesn’t mean getting flue will kill you although it is possible, it is the fact of being seriously ill and the downside of a loss of earnings. If your tramping then it is the last thing you want whilst away. Just advice that’s all buddy.

Good advice there UK Tramp and I will look at getting it ,But I must ask are you getting it for free :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

norb:

UKtramp:

adam277:
In 2014 bird flu was meant to kill millions. Doctors advised taking precautions. Millions did not die.

There is always a killer strain of something about that doctor panic about. Unless you are old or fragile it shouldn’t concern you much.
Also I’m not going to take anyone’s word for Gospel because that would be moronic. Although I believe it is real and bad. But like I said most are and most things are.
Greater chance of coming off my motorcycle then dying of flu doesn’t mean I’m gonna stop riding as a preventive measure.

If doctors ruled the country we would be popping pills having jabs every other day for preventative reasons.

Sent from mobile spelling and grammar off.

Doesn’t mean getting flue will kill you although it is possible, it is the fact of being seriously ill and the downside of a loss of earnings. If your tramping then it is the last thing you want whilst away. Just advice that’s all buddy.

Good advice there UK Tramp and I will look at getting it ,But I must ask are you getting it for free

Of course he’s getting it free, did you not here dozy 2 brother is a consultant in his fantasy world
Sure he could probably get it free for everyone here no better man, top man is dozy 2 everyone just loves him
Did you know he’s the most popular person on this site

norb:
Good advice there UK Tramp and I will look at getting it ,But I must ask are you getting it for free :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Sponsored by Boots the pharmacy :smiley: