Doing nothing to help how the public perceive us

dailymail.co.uk/news/article … crash.html

I don’t give a ■■■■ what other think of me, if that opinion is based on others actions. As long as I get paid to drive that truck, the population at large may call me a frigid midget imbecile.
As for what they think of me, based on knowing me, I could not give less of a ■■■■ if I tried.

The public already see us as the scourge of the roads, slow and ■■■■■■■■■■ with an uneducated east European buffoon at the wheel, but to make matters worse they condem the whole industry on the actions of the few, it’s never been said if it wasn’t for the truckers there would be no stock in the supermarkets, fuel at the pumps.
I’m not going to say the industry is whiter than white, recent events have prove that it isn’t and it’s those actions that stay in publics minds, as long as they have something to moan about they are happy.

Grumpy Dad:
The public already see us as the scourge of the roads, slow and ■■■■■■■■■■ with an uneducated east European buffoon at the wheel, but to make matters worse they condem the whole industry on the actions of the few.

Yeh ok, but this d/head was an ‘uneducated BRIT bufoon’ at the wheel :bulb: …, there are plenty of those around who drag our rep into the ■■■■ also. :bulb:

robroy:

Grumpy Dad:
The public already see us as the scourge of the roads, slow and ■■■■■■■■■■ with an uneducated east European buffoon at the wheel, but to make matters worse they condem the whole industry on the actions of the few.

Yeh ok, but this d/head was an ‘uneducated BRIT bufoon’ at the wheel :bulb: …, there are plenty of those around who drag our rep into the [zb] also. :bulb:

And he’s Irish

google.co.uk/amp/www.dailym … -jail.html

If you was to do an opinion poll to the public and asked them the nationality of drivers the majority would say foreign, it’s how they perceive us, they look at events such as the M1 crash - foreign driver, the Kriess truck on its side on the M11 - foreign driver and this one yet another foreign driver
google.co.uk/amp/www.mirror … 198809.amp

Grumpy Dad:

robroy:

Grumpy Dad:

Yeh ok, but this d/head was an ‘uneducated BRIT bufoon’ at the wheel :bulb: …, there are plenty of those around who drag our rep into the [zb] also. :bulb:

And he’s Irish

If you was to do an opinion poll to the public and asked them the nationality of drivers the majority would say foreign, it’s how they perceive us, they look at events such as the M1 crash - foreign driver, the Kriess truck on its side on the M11 - foreign driver and this one yet another foreign driver

Pretty sure there was a Brit driving the Fedex truck that appears to of rammed the minibus

For your average Daily Mail reader, who basically hates everybody that isn’t like them, we are only look on as hard working heroes of the road, when we’re fighting to get through “hoards” of Illegal Immigrants in Calais, but only because they hate them more than they hate us.

Grumpy Dad:

robroy:

Grumpy Dad:

And he’s Irish

Ok then you believe your (self perceived) public opinion, and I’ll just make my OWN mind up, and make my OWN decision on it.

stupidly over crowed little island and the chaos of it all is often most apparent out on the road, think we’re all just getting on each others ■■■■. Hating an entire group of people because they drive lorries or ride bikes, have ginger hair or believe in another god is just the stupidest fukwittery of all time. Sadly most of the population fall into the category.

best to sit back and enjoy
bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-england … -microwave

Grumpy Dad:

robroy:

Grumpy Dad:

And he’s Irish

Complete and utter ■■■■■■■■ as usual, crap drivers come from all nationalities,but that wouldn’t fit your agenda would it.

Let’s be honest here.

The reputation of lorry drivers in general is pretty dire. The last 12 months in particular have inflicted a permanently damaging effect on the industry. Watching TV’s/laptops/phones is commonplace. Being ■■■■■■ whilst driving appears to be increasing. Bridge strikes are reaching epidemic levels. Litter where trucks park is piling up. Damaged petrol station canopies are also becoming a regular sight.

The older/wiser fella’s on here have been warning of dropping standards for at least as long as I have been on here.

I reckon they are right. The dumbing down of passing tests in auto’s and the sheer ease of driving artics, surely means the steering wheel attendants are now becoming far too prevalent. A complete lack of a police presence, millions of idiots whose driving standards are crap at best, an attitude of " F U " and a general breakdown in any sort of pride are now culminating in a ’ Death Race 2000 ’ style of driving on the road.

We are no longer the best drivers on the road sadly :frowning: We just simply have the biggest vehicles, and have become the biggest bullies.

NOBODY likes us anymore and we are rapidly becoming a laughing stock.

del trotter:

Grumpy Dad:

robroy:

Grumpy Dad:

And he’s Irish

Complete and utter ■■■■■■■■ as usual, crap drivers come from all nationalities,but that wouldn’t fit your agenda would it.

My agenda being what exactly? I have no issue with EE drivers, I work with plenty of them on a daily basis, park up with them at weekends and see a side to them the typical British trucker and the public doesn’t see, as I commented on other posts.
Being a European trucker it’s automatically assumed I am foreign even though I’m in a RHD English plated truck, as soon as the booking in clerk sees a cmr im foreign, don’t figure does it ?

Rightly or wrongly the bar to entry to lorry driving is now very low. Anyone, and I mean anyone, who can handle a car anywhere near competently, can drive a truck because it is an easy task to carry out. There’s little more to do than steer it. Newer ones will even stop themselves now. With all that in mind why would anyone be surprised that the calibre of many drivers is now what it is?

Olog Hai:
Rightly or wrongly the bar to entry to lorry driving is now very low. Anyone, and I mean anyone, who can handle a car anywhere near competently, can drive a truck because it is an easy task to carry out. There’s little more to do than steer it. Newer ones will even stop themselves now. With all that in mind why would anyone be surprised that the calibre of many drivers is now what it is?

The roads are busier the demands greater volume of trucks greater.
Let’s just hope this ( the driver who killed an innocent if found guilty) goes to prison for a long time.
I wonder how New to the job he was!

mattecube:

Olog Hai:

The roads are busier the demands greater volume of trucks greater.
Let’s just hope this ( the driver who killed an innocent if found guilty) goes to prison for a long time.

I wonder how New to the job he was

!

Irrespective of how long he had been in the job, the fact he was doing what he was doing while driving is plain scary.

The one thing that scares me is the complete lack of professional pride that is being shown by these ‘drivers’.

Quite frankly, this industry needs sorting out. It’s a shambles. Too many idiots with hgv licenses. Poor pay and conditions have forced out a lot of the old schools decent drivers leaving numpties and newbies to fend for themselves. Bad habits and poor practise are going unchecked and becoming the norm. Without an improvement to pay and conditions, the industry is going to struggle to attract the quality of drivers needed to improve it’s image. However, personally I believe the decent drivers out there have a responsibility too and need to be proactive in getting these morons off the road.

Blaming drivers for the increasing prevalence of the symptoms of the situation they find themselves in (lack-of/poor parking, packed roads, over-demanding/micro-managing TMs leading to tired/littering/aggressive) drivers makes little sense. Yes, we need to try to be professional and corteous out there, but the roads and pressures of today are a far cry from the 50s and 60s, when lorry drivers were the ‘knights of the road’, roaming the country’s (largely empty) A roads.
What’s needed is serious governmental intervention into the industry, to tackle the socio economic pressures that make HGVs, and the driving of them, dangerous.
It’s like the media’s penchant for blaming teachers for the gradual worsening of kids behaviour, rather than addressing the root cause of kids turning up at 9am with varying degrees of social or emotional damage, caused by any number of interactions and circumstances beyond a teacher’s control or remit.
‘you can’t make a silk ■■■■■ out of a sow’s ear’. This aphorism holds true for the haulage industry worker as much as the teacher.

Shandy123:
Blaming drivers for the increasing prevalence of the symptoms of the situation they find themselves in (lack-of/poor parking, packed roads, over-demanding/micro-managing TMs leading to tired/littering/aggressive) drivers makes little sense. Yes, we need to try to be professional and corteous out there, but the roads and pressures of today are a far cry from the 50s and 60s, when lorry drivers were the ‘knights of the road’, roaming the country’s (largely empty) A roads

I would suggest there were far worse bosses (and more of them) then than now…

At least now drivers have hours rules, HR departments, legal aid, far better kit,…and some drivers still don’t have the backbone to just say no.

There is no excuse for dropping your own standards (provided you had reasonable standards to begin with).

Are you suggesting that because a traffic office is watching you on a tracker you should think ‘stuff it’ I am going to behave like a bully and put some lives at risk?

Shandy123:
Blaming drivers for the increasing prevalence of the symptoms of the situation they find themselves in (lack-of/poor parking, packed roads, over-demanding/micro-managing TMs leading to tired/littering/aggressive) drivers makes little sense. Yes, we need to try to be professional and corteous out there, but the roads and pressures of today are a far cry from the 50s and 60s, when lorry drivers were the ‘knights of the road’, roaming the country’s (largely empty) A roads.
What’s needed is serious governmental intervention into the industry, to tackle the socio economic pressures that make HGVs, and the driving of them, dangerous.
It’s like the media’s penchant for blaming teachers for the gradual worsening of kids behaviour, rather than addressing the root cause of kids turning up at 9am with varying degrees of social or emotional damage, caused by any number of interactions and circumstances beyond a teacher’s control or remit.
‘you can’t make a silk ■■■■■ out of a sow’s ear’. This aphorism holds true for the haulage industry worker as much as the teacher.

Agreed however in all walks of life in all industries across every nationality you will get ■■■■■■■■ like this driver. As an industry we need to stop kidding ourselves it’s the EE drivers (Yes some are guilty) or the perceived New school of drivers.

Mobile phones social media used incorrectly is a social cancer in all walks of life.

i think the important relevant fact regarding this post is this…after reading the original daily mail article.how many instantly googled “candy love” :smiley: