Does this job seem right?

Off for an interview in a couple of days.

If I were to get the job, I’ve been told because my experience is quite low (below a year) if I were in an accident I would have to pay a £500 excess out of my own pocket.

Does this seem right? I’m still new to this game.

keep looking for a job . You haven’t got one yet .

No,that’s y they have ins,tell them to stick it up there ■■■

It does not seem right and I for one wouldn’t bother going. What else are they going to try on.?

I’ve just started a new job. We get a £500 non crash bonus, 250 of you have a crash, nothing if you have another, if you have more then you pay 250 excess. Reset after a year.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Cheddars:
Off for an interview in a couple of days.

If I were to get the job, I’ve been told because my experience is quite low (below a year) if I were in an accident I would have to pay a £500 excess out of my own pocket.

Does this seem right? I’m still new to this game.

Hmm, tough one, this.
If they are willing to give you a start even though you have very little experience, but by doing that they attract an insurance surcharge on top of their normal excess, of 500 quid, then I would say yes, go for it.
Let´s face it, if you´re not going to have an accident, are you?

Wait wait wait, rewind, back up, whoah hoss.

I lied, don´t do it, no matter how much you want to just…don´t.
No. Do not, whatever you do, agree to that.

Hope that helps :slight_smile:

That’s a big no no. Where does it end, what other costs could you be liable for? There are other jobs about that don’t impose such ridiculous terms.

Cheers guys :smiley:

I’ve done about 6 weeks in my current job, but not enjoying it, hence looking elsewhere.

Think I’ll pop along to the interview anyway and see what its like first, just seemed strange being told this as I havent come across it before.

Cheddars:

I’ve done about 6 weeks in my current job, but not enjoying it, hence looking elsewhere.

Think I’ll pop along to the interview anyway and see what its like first, just seemed strange being told this as I havent come across it before.

Not Reed Boardall is it ? Seriously though don’t bother.

Run as quick as you can away from it,new jobs are stressful enough without thinking “got to be carefull can’t afford £500”

Biglew74:
I’ve just started a new job. We get a £500 non crash bonus, 250 of you have a crash, nothing if you have another, if you have more then you pay 250 excess. Reset after a year.

Which shows that they expect most of their drivers to have one or two accidents a year. This presumably could be as little as taking someone’s wing mirror off or a minor bump.
Plus you are more likely to have an accident in your first year of driving HGVs, similar to new car drivers…

In the event of an accident not your fault what happens?
If the excess is payable by them the office will devote time and effort to save the excess.
If you’re paying will they really care that much? Being on the road can you negotiate with the insurance company?

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

Cheddars:

Well ok, I can see where you´re coming from. This is exactly the kind of thing I would do. Go to the interview, No intention of taking the job.
Just go to nail em down with some cutting questions. Expose em for the thieving ■■■■■ they are.
Once you´ve established that this is a completely new way of being rip off tawts, solely a way of recouping monies that THEY should be taking care of, , then rub it in the interviewers face.
Taking new passes? Yeah, so they can pass on the insurance excess to them and call it giving them a chance.

Oooh, I was getting all worked up then.
■■■■ em.

Biglew74:

So, if you have 3 crashes, none of which you are to blame for, you get to pay 250 squids?

My insurance has a £500 excess for drivers under 25.

Way I look at it is, I don’t have to employ someone that is under 25 so its my choice. If I don’t want to take the chance then I only employ over 25s.

Fair to say I ask for a lot of feedback from the regular drivers though.

So OP, you can take the same line of thought, if you don’t want to shell out 509 in the e ent of an accident, wait for a job you do like.

Remember it’s only against insurance claims . They probably won’t claim for anything under a cpl of grand to save the premiums . Not defending it just a bit of perspective

Y would you pay £500 to smash up there truck when you can go some were else and do it for free

If they are that concerned about costs what about charging you for a damaged tyre or a torn curtain. Where does it end?

malcolmgbell:
Y would you pay £500 to smash up there truck when you can go some were else and do it for free

Hahaha, brilliant.

steviespain:

Biglew74:

So, if you have 3 crashes, none of which you are to blame for, you get to pay 250 squids?

Obviously it has to be your fault