Doctor said no!

used to work with a driver who only had one eye, he had no problems with keeping HGV licence.
granted it was a few years ago so maybe things have changed. :unamused: (OK I know the smiley is a bit OTT)

dirty devil 666:
Did you do the DVLA Visual Fields test - the one with both eyes open?

Could i pass my HGV on a visual field test?
[/quote]

The DVLA visual field test will see if you are missing any areas of vision with both eyes open - a sort of ‘blind spot’ test and can be done at any DVLA registered optician for DVLA approval but most opticians have a version of this test.

ROG:

dirty devil 666:

The DVLA visual field test will see if you are missing any areas of vision with both eyes open - a sort of ‘blind spot’ test and can be done at any DVLA registered optician for DVLA approval but most opticians have a version of this test.
[/quote]

is that the TELL ME WHEN YOU CAN SEE MY PEN MOVE WITHOUT MOVING YOUR EYES test.

ROG:

dirty devil 666:

ROG:

pecjam23:

NO - You sit at a machine where you fixate on a central light and then other lights appear at random in various places on the screen and you click a mouse when you see them.

Doctor Rog now ?

cant wait for the replies …

del949:
used to work with a driver who only had one eye, he had no problems with keeping HGV licence.
granted it was a few years ago so maybe things have changed. :unamused: (OK I know the smiley is a bit OTT)

I too worked for a boss who only had one eye, but again that was in 1980/90 yet he was fine to drive and could see like a ■■■■■■■■■ rat. I gather there was an EU change that prevented monocular vision in an HGV.

One thing I do remember was it was a bit disconcerting trying to convince him to give you more money, he seemed to look right through you.

dirty devil,sorry to hear about your problem,I remember reading you need 2 eyes to judge speed and distance,although I worked with a HGV driver a long time ago with only one eye ,but didn’t an EU rule stop this,sorry not much help.
regards derek

trucking482002:
dirty devil,sorry to hear about your problem,I remember reading you need 2 eyes to judge speed and distance,although I worked with a HGV driver a long time ago with only one eye ,but didn’t an EU rule stop this,sorry not much help.
regards derek

After my op I had one eye with a patch on it for a few weeks which gave me the opportunity to see if it made a difference to my judgement of speed & distance.

For safety I first sat in the passenger seat next to another advanced driver and then I drove.

There was not any change - now either I am weird or those that say you cannot judge with one eye are wrong

ROG:

ROG:

dirty devil 666:

ROG:

pecjam23:

NO - You sit at a machine where you fixate on a central light and then other lights appear at random in various places on the screen and you click a mouse when you see them.

Yeah done that at opticians and only missed one with my bad eye. but unfortuantly, could not read 3rd letter on eye chart. Hence a NO.

ROG:
You sit at a machine where you fixate on a central light and then other lights appear at random in various places on the screen and you click a mouse when you see them.

dirty devil 666:
Yeah done that at opticians and only missed one with my bad eye. but unfortuantly, could not read 3rd letter on eye chart. Hence a NO.

Nor could I without my special glasses for my bad eye - it was all a blur.

Got an idea :bulb: :slight_smile:
but it does depend if your screen settings are the same as mine - I have a 15" screen and I have not adjusted any visual settings.

How far away from the screen with your bad eye can you read this?

Mine is 3 feet

ROG:
but it does depend if your screen settings are the same as mine - I have a 15" screen and I have not adjusted any visual settings.

Mine is 3 feet

I cant read a thing with it!

dirty devil 666:

ROG:

Mine is 3 feet

I cant read a thing with it!

Then your condition is most definitely worse than mine…

Hi all, i have a lazy eye, had it since berth, they gave me too much oxygen apparantly which caused the prob. I had to wear the patch when i was a kid, then i had 2 ops where they cut some of the tendons attached to the back of ur eye to straighten it up. My eyes when i was a kid where one home and one away, shouldnt laugh but i could hold 2 convertations at once lol. Anyway my left eys is considerably weaker than my right. I have no probs with my right eye, left eye i struggle with big time. But as my gp explained the brain is a very clever instrument, it gets used to the weaker eye and compensates for it. Hence i passed my medical, passed my cat c in jan and hopefully going for my c + e this summer. The only time my eye notices now is if im very tired, it tends to go in a bit.
cheers guys