Decent long distant jobs

Bigtruck3:
European work is not for everyone and the reason being is because there are drivers who dream all there life of doing it but never do it
Why because they are nervous about facing it and trying it
They don’t have the confidence to even try it as much as they dream about it and that’s a natural thing, driving on the opposite side of the road, getting lost, being in the middle of nowhere and not knowing where, not being able to speak a bit of the language

You could have used the same load of total bollox to stop me driving my own car on regular road trips to the Balkans for my holidays.On the basis that I’d never been there before and I’d get lost or starve to death not knowing a word of Serbo Croat to ask or read the way or to ask for something to eat in a restaurant or a cafe. :open_mouth: :laughing:

Call it what it is.A bunch of self entitled elitists who think that only those in the ‘know’ can do the job and those who aren’t can stay on domestic zb so they can keep all the cream for themselves.Then moan in later life about all the time they had to spend away from home.

switchlogic:
I still find it baffling why if he did try so much Carryfast couldn’t get a job in the heyday of European transport. Back then any man and his dog could get a euro job. Even my Dad got European work when he wanted it despite never having been a full time driver at that point, he was a truck mechanic for first half of his career.

One day DEANB might answer my repeated requests to post some of the situations wanted ads pages from his collection of Truck magazines if only I’d kept mine.That might help you to think again but I doubt it.Actually during the first half of the 1980’s at least anyone was lucky to have any job usually on the basis that the younger you were the worse it was.

What I do know is that anyone on TNT/IPEC’s ‘waiting list’ at that time is probably still waiting for a call now. :laughing:

Carryfast:
Call it what it is.A bunch of self entitled elitists who think that only those in the ‘know’ can do the job

Except in reality we are all saying over and over again anyone can get a job doing Europe experience or not and are simply baffled as to why you couldn’t. This elitist nonsense is just your own private conspiracy theory

switchlogic:

Carryfast:
Call it what it is.A bunch of self entitled elitists who think that only those in the ‘know’ can do the job

Except in reality we are all saying over and over again anyone can get a job doing Europe experience or not and are simply baffled as to why you couldn’t. This elitist nonsense is just your own private conspiracy theory

Exactamundo.

Passed test. Next day pointed at Barcelona.
Needed a job once. Made phone call. On ferry to Germany that night.
Short of money. Set off for Athens.
Can you do us a local? Pop off to Paris, you’ll be back tomorrow.
These and many more exciting episodes just like them.

Through out the 90’s you had to try quite hard NOT to be shipping out.

Carryfast:
Call it what it is.A bunch of self entitled elitists who think that only those in the ‘know’ can do the job and those who aren’t can stay on domestic zb so they can keep all the cream for themselves.

The only way I’ve ever got continental jobs is by applying for them. I had neither a background in or connection with road transport when I started out so I don’t see where “elitism” comes into it. You seemed to think the continental transport industry should come knocking on your door. Well sorry but it doesn’t work like that. Never has and never will.

Carryfast:
Call it what it is.A bunch of self entitled elitists who think that only those in the ‘know’ can do the job and those who aren’t can stay on domestic zb so they can keep all the cream for themselves.Then moan in later life about all the time they had to spend away from home.

BWAH…

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!

Carryfast…

Did you not get the chance to go to Haulfast the sister company of Carryfast as they did some European work ( mid to late '80’s) before UPS bought them both out??

A couple of guys I worked with at Nuneaton depot transferred to Haulfast.

Harry Monk:
,we just asked.

Or got told… I passed my test on the Thursday and found a job the next day. After being given a choice of vehicles on the Saturday I found myself Germany bound on the Monday… The furthest I had been before was Cardiff!

Carryfast:

Bigtruck3:
European work is not for everyone and the reason being is because there are drivers who dream all there life of doing it but never do it
They don’t have the confidence to even try it as much as they dream about it and that’s a natural thing, driving on the opposite side of the road, getting lost, being in the middle of nowhere and not knowing where, not being able to speak a bit of the language

You could have used the same load of total bollox to stop me driving my own car on regular road trips to the Balkans for my holidays.On the basis that I’d never been there before and I’d get lost or starve to death not knowing a word of Serbo Croat to ask or read the way or to ask for something to eat in a restaurant or a cafe. :open_mouth: :laughing:

I could tell you that driving a car across the continent is totally different to driving a truck but you could put it on your cv or have you already done that, it just might explain a few things if you had

switchlogic:

Carryfast:

Except in reality we are all saying over and over again anyone can get a job doing Europe experience or not

Despite numerous factual examples proving the exact opposite.So why does Harry’s example contain the all too predictable ‘E’ word numerous times,including the bs contradiction of stating ‘preferable’ when it’s clear they actually mean ‘required’ and why would they even want to differentiate between ‘International’ drivers v UK.As opposed to all recruited on the same terms rotating between UK and International work let’s say on a monthly basis.While those who are supposedly too frightened to venture across the Channel :unamused: :laughing: can just stay on UK.That’s as elitist as it gets.

Harry Monk:

Carryfast:
Call it what it is.A bunch of self entitled elitists who think that only those in the ‘know’ can do the job and those who aren’t can stay on domestic zb so they can keep all the cream for themselves.

The only way I’ve ever got continental jobs is by applying for them. I had neither a background in or connection with road transport when I started out so I don’t see where “elitism” comes into it. You seemed to think the continental transport industry should come knocking on your door. Well sorry but it doesn’t work like that. Never has and never will.

Which part of,the only difference between us is that I was obviously too busy earning a living in the jobs I actually got to be able to go driving around the country calling into different employers.Just to be told the same thing as they were telling me on the phone when I wasn’t filling out ‘application forms’ for putting on their supposed bs ‘waiting list’ files.Didn’t you understand.

While if I’ve read it right you supposedly got offered the job you wanted immediately after getting your licence ?.Which makes the case,for all the bs advice to new drivers of start at the bottom and work your way up,how and which I naively actually bought until I knew better,So yes someone being able to walk into the right work ahead of those going by that advice also obviously fits the description of an elitist,arbitrary,face fits career progression regime.In which those in the ‘know’ think they have a god given right to all the best work leaving all the zb for others.

Geoffo:
Carryfast…

Did you not get the chance to go to Haulfast the sister company of Carryfast as they did some European work ( mid to late '80’s) before UPS bought them both out??

A couple of guys I worked with at Nuneaton depot transferred to Haulfast.

Certainly don’t remember nor aware of any international operations carried out by Haulfast then.But Carryfast was at one point intending on possibly starting up some Continental and even Russian trunking operations.Which ironically I was told I’d be put down on the list of drivers for if/when it happened which predictably it didn’t.Even more ironically that transpired after I’d told them that I’d been for an interview with Seaborne/UPS and was told a story by the guvnor there which sounded like a mixture of too good to be true runs combined with dross like running over to Mechelen when by that point I’d got the same cynicism to the whole thing as I’ve shown here.With my suspicions heightened not least because the office walls were covered with pictures of UPS freight aircraft not trucks. :open_mouth: :laughing: Leaving me with an impression that Seaborne’s international trunking operations were soon going to be changing for the worse which proved correct in a matter of months after UPS unbelievably also bought us out too.Listening to Seaborne’s then ‘Linehaul’ drivers moaning about the loss of their previous regular Barking Milan type runs and being given what was left of our inter depot trunks combined with Calais changeovers instead.While we were mostly relegated to hub system Feeder type zb meaning 4 hours driving and 5 hours working in the hub warehouse.So as I’ve said excuse my cynicism in calling a spade a spade even during the so called ‘hey day’ of Brit international work.

Bigtruck3:

Carryfast:

Bigtruck3:

I could tell you that driving a car across the continent is totally different to driving a truck but you could put it on your cv or have you already done that, it just might explain a few things if you had

Yes,unlike Harry or others needed to,I certainly did let every one I tried know that the place wasn’t like an unknown different planet to me.

So I get back at the end of another 2,000 mile week with an artic or A frame drawbar outfit on uk.Then drive the car down to Southern Yugoslavia or Sicily or Sardinia.As opposed to anyone saying can you postpone your holiday and take this artic etc load to Genoa or Ancona over to Athens or Reggio etc instead.What is supposedly so difficult about that.Other than a bunch of self entitled ‘experienced’ elites jumping up and down saying that’s not fair he’s never been there before with a truck.Only regular ‘experienced’ ‘international’ drivers can do that job.So tell us why does Harry’s example obviously and clearly discriminate between ‘UK’ v ‘International’ drivers and work in that regard.Why not just recruit and employ all on the same basis of rotating between UK and International with no bs dedicated ‘International’ ‘experience’ requirement and job allocation at all ?.

Having said that with hindsight I would/should have done the international CPC before taking my class 1 and that’s what I usually advise those like the OP to do.That’s probably worth more to such employers than any international car driving ‘experience’.Although don’t ask me how most of those situations wanted ads in the Truck magazine had that qualification in their armoury while those like Harry could just walk into any job they felt like without that either.

Carryfast:

switchlogic:

Carryfast:

Except in reality we are all saying over and over again anyone can get a job doing Europe experience or not

Despite numerous factual examples proving the exact opposite.

Except everybody on Euro work must have at one point done their first job without previous experience, so how did they get their first trip out of the UK if it was an elitist stitch up only open to experienced drivers? :confused:

Poor old Carry has lied to himself so many times to make himself feel better about failing to follow his dreams that he believes the nonsense he spouts at this stage. Whatever gets you through the day I suppose

Carryfast:
Having said that with hindsight I would/should have done the international CPC before taking my class 1 and that’s what I usually advise those like the OP to do.That’s probably worth more to such employers than any international car driving ‘experience’.Although don’t ask me how most of those situations wanted ads in the Truck magazine had that qualification in their armoury while those like Harry could just walk into any job they felt like without that either.

I simply cannot understand how an International CPC would help anyone to get a job driving a truck on continental work. An International CPC is an operator’s or transport manager’s qualification, not a driver qualification. In all the time I did continental work, I never knew of one single driver who had an International CPC.

Incidentally, I have an International CPC myself, so I know what I am talking about here, but I did not obtain it until some five years after I stopped doing regular continental work.

The fact that you felt that placing a “situations wanted” advert in a truck magazine would get you a job says it all really. Why didn’t you just do what I did, and visit some international transport firms in your car asking if they had any jobs going?

switchlogic:
Poor old Carry has lied to himself so many times to make himself feel better about failing to follow his dreams that he believes the nonsense he spouts at this stage. Whatever gets you through the day I suppose

I reckon this is the image he’s got of European driving in his head. :laughing:

Euro Drivers Club.jpg

muckles:

switchlogic:

I reckon this is the image he’s got of European driving in his head. :laughing:

No special cases allowed car driving don’t count good post

muckles:

Carryfast:

Except everybody on Euro work must have at one point done their first job without previous experience, so how did they get their first trip out of the UK if it was an elitist stitch up only open to experienced drivers? :confused:

Ironically the accusation of an anarchic abitrary face fits career progression regime within the industry applied/s even moreso/mostly at that stage.Followed by the all too predictable wanting to make sure they then kept/keep it all for themselves when they’ve got it rather than rotate between UK and Euro work so everyone gets a share of the cream.You know using the excuses like it’s just too scary to allow anyone except the chosen few drive a truck outside of the UK. :unamused: :laughing: As I said resulting in many of them then moaning about lost time at home with families with others like me moaning about too much boring,UK work.

The example posted being a perfect example of that in discriminating between UK and International and a recruitment requirement which can mean whatever anyone wants it to mean varying from experience required to perhaps not as required.Depending on whatever and whoever it happens to be on either side of the table on the day.

Carryfast:

muckles:

Carryfast:

Ironically the accusation of an anarchic abitrary face fits career progression regime within the industry applied/s even moreso/mostly at that stage.Followed by the all too predictable wanting to make sure they then kept/keep it all for themselves when they’ve got it rather than rotate between UK and Euro work so everyone gets a share of the cream.You know using the excuses like it’s just too scary to allow anyone except the chosen few drive a truck outside of the UK. :unamused: :laughing: As I said resulting in many of them then moaning about lost time at home with families with others like me moaning about too much boring,UK work.

The example posted being a perfect example of that in discriminating between UK and International and a recruitment requirement which can mean whatever anyone wants it to mean varying from experience required to perhaps not as required.Depending on whatever and whoever it happens to be on either side of the table on the day.

You really should get some professional help. :open_mouth: