Davis bros, felling

was going to try to post two photos of my wife’s grandad in his Davis truck - Alfie Green, but known as bomber.
can’t work out how to add photos…

theclarksfermoy:
was going to try to post two photos of my wife’s grandad in his Davis truck - Alfie Green, but known as bomber.
can’t work out how to add photos…

You have to scan them first then select a file on your laptop to store them its quite simplewhen you get the hang of it, Hope this helpfull for you, Regards Larry.

thanks for that - have them as files on pc, just can’t find the way to upload… can’t cut and paste, can’t drag and drop, don’t see a button to ‘attach’ am I being very thick here?

theclarksfermoy:
thanks for that - have them as files on pc, just can’t find the way to upload… can’t cut and paste, can’t drag and drop, don’t see a button to ‘attach’ am I being very thick here?

If you click onto Upload attachment, Select the file then the picture and submit it to this thread, Regards Larry.

To theclarkesfermoy ref uploading pics, go down the pages to the bottom until you see the POST REPLY box, left click on that and it opens a page, the main blank area is for any text, its better to add this before attaching any pics. Once you’ve added text which could be as simple as ‘Here’s a picture of a Ford Transcon I used to drive’, then go down to the bottom of this page and there is a Options and Upload attachment tab, click on the Upload attachments tab and it will open two boxes marked Filename: and File comment: on the filename box is a Browse button click on this and it will open your Pictures file on your PC, click on the pic you want to post and click open, the pic details will fill the Browse box, next to that is the Add the file button clicking on that will send your pic info onto the page above that you added the text to. However before you do that ensure the curser is at the end of your text and press the keyboard Enter button to send the curser below the text, this will add your pic below any text you have written once you click the Add the file button. You will then see your text and the pic info text below, you can go on adding more pics in the same way just remember to keep moving the curser so the list of pics follows in order. Once happy with the amount of pics to send click on the Submit button and all will go to the Thread page you want them on. Then you can return to that page and check how it looks. Don’t add pics that are too big or too small you might have to experiment a little to find the right size to send. Hope you can sort this it sounds long winded but isn’t once you start doing it. Franky.

that was easy - not sure what took me so long!! thanks a lot for the help
hopefully someone finds then interesting or remembers Alfie…

Glad you cracked it and a couple of good pics, nice to see a bonneted 1418 up close again the first company I worked for as a lad ran a few of these, quiet compared to our UK makes and comfortable the drivers loved them. Franky.

Hi theclarksfermoy.
Remember Alfie well very nice Lad, I Drove for Davis Bros in the 60s out of Wapping and had one of these Mercs new, first on Days then on Nights London Warrington and back do not remember Alfie on them only remember him having a very tidy Leyland Octopus 8 Wheeler which he Drove most of the time.Alfie If I remember right was one of the Drivers they sent to Turkey on a Bus they bought to bring Mechanics back I think they had a problem the first time you might have heard that Story,your Photos are the only ones I have seen of one other than one which Bowkers of Blackburn bought when Davis finished, I had a few Photos on here of davis,es but I think they have been scrubbed because Photobucket changing tack.

Ben

ben walker:
Hi theclarksfermoy.
Remember Alfie well very nice Lad, I Drove for Davis Bros in the 60s out of Wapping and had one of these Mercs new, first on Days then on Nights London Warrington and back do not remember Alfie on them only remember him having a very tidy Leyland Octopus 8 Wheeler which he Drove most of the time.Alfie If I remember right was one of the Drivers they sent to Turkey on a Bus they bought to bring Mechanics back I think they had a problem the first time you might have heard that Story,your Photos are the only ones I have seen of one other than one which Bowkers of Blackburn bought when Davis finished, I had a few Photos on here of davis,es but I think they have been scrubbed because Photobucket changing tack.

Ben

Hi Ben, A couple of my old mates, The Late Jimmy Ruff, & The late Harry Laws both drove for Davis Bros from their Felling depot on the roaming trunk as it was called in those good old long gone days, Do you remember them ?, Two good lads, Regards Larry.

Lawrence Dunbar:

ben walker:
Hi theclarksfermoy.

Ben

Hi Ben, A couple of my old mates, The Late Jimmy Ruff, & The late Harry Laws both drove for Davis Bros from their Felling depot on the roaming trunk as it was called in those good old long gone days, Do you remember them ?, Two good lads, Regards Larry.

Hi Lawrence,Jimmy Ruff rings a Bell I knew most of them but as you will remember the Geordies were like us Scots were called Jock so all Newcastle Drivers were called Geordies so you did not know their proper Names,the only ones I can remember by Name was Billy Green and Dicky Bird and a Lad called Lowry I suppose I did know them as I was in Felling Depot a lot if you could call that.
Ben.

ben walker:

Lawrence Dunbar:

ben walker:
Hi theclarksfermoy.

Ben

Hi Lawrence,Jimmy Ruff rings a Bell I knew most of them but as you will remember the Geordies were like us Scots were called Jock so all Newcastle Drivers were called Geordies so you did not know their proper Names,the only ones I can remember by Name was Billy Green and Dicky Bird
and a Lad called Lowry I suppose I did know them as I was in Felling Depot a lot if you could call that.
Ben.

Hello Ben, sadly we lost Jimmy Ruff just last year. He was a one off! A true character. R.I.P. Jimmy.

Hi Kevmac.
Very sorry to hear that what age was he must be about ages with me.
Ben.

ben walker:
Hi Kevmac.
Ben.

Ben I think he was 84. Regards Kev.

kevmac47:

ben walker:
Hi Kevmac.
Ben.

Ben I think he was 84. Regards Kev.

Hi Kev Jimmy was 81 when he passed away, Born 1935 the same as me. Hope you are keeping well my friend & hope to see you at the next drivers bash, Regards Larry.

I wonder if anyone remembers my father,Jack Johnston, who was Forman fitter at Davis bros for a while. He was there in the days of John Lowes, Jimmy Ruff etc. Previous to Davis Bros he worked for F.Shorts at pipewell gate.

Recon this could be a Davis bros Merc.
Steve.