Davies Int. Southampton. With photos (Part 1)

Buzzer,
Wrighty will know about the sheep dip they get pushed fully submerged well they used to in 1959/60.as for the new trucks arriving i think you should be mighty proud, the fruits of all that running bent ,keep the flag flying ,a fridge drivers bible ,keep her going. how i never met you years ago is a mystery, just ships in the day-and-night.PDB

wrighty:
Evening Buzzer

Well that was a bloody average week, last Sunday the land was drying up grand just like soft plasticine then by Tuesday it was back to soup. Another wet week and to top it off we had snow,hail wind and rain yesterday. On a brighter note the lambing seems to be going ok( too many triplets though) and we are calving steady away so not all bad, back to it tomorrow with a local load down to Garstang then not sure where…

Cheers Wrighty.

Morning Wrighty, Out of intrest what is the problem with having too may triplets ? Would have thought the more the better
but obviously not ?

With regard to the long concrete trough. It was too shallow for a sheep dip so i am pretty sure it was a feeding trough. :wink:

Hi all, Buzzer what is PDB referring to when talking about running bent i don’t know of any local company’s that ever did that i always thought it was company’s from up’t north that did that sort of thing. :sunglasses: (sent you a PM John)

gerbil sb152:
Hi all, Buzzer what is PDB referring to when talking about running bent i don’t know of any local company’s that ever did that i always thought it was company’s from up’t north that did that sort of thing. :sunglasses: (sent you a PM John)

Every driver
I’ve ever met at breakfast time, or waiting for a ferry ticket, or at a customs post, has always been “dead straight”.

Every driver
I’ve met in the bar on a ferry, or at dinner with a bucket of red wine on the table, has always had a story more bent than any banana yet seen!

DEANB:

wrighty:
Evening Buzzer

Well that was a bloody average week, last Sunday the land was drying up grand just like soft plasticine then by Tuesday it was back to soup. Another wet week and to top it off we had snow,hail wind and rain yesterday. On a brighter note the lambing seems to be going ok( too many triplets though) and we are calving steady away so not all bad, back to it tomorrow with a local load down to Garstang then not sure where…

Cheers Wrighty.

Morning Wrighty, Out of intrest what is the problem with having too may triplets ? Would have thought the more the better
but obviously not ?

With regard to the long concrete trough. It was too shallow for a sheep dip so i am pretty sure it was a feeding trough. :wink:

Afternoon DEANB

The problem with triplets is that a ewe has 2 teats, ideally one for each lamb when you have three they have to fight for every drop of milk and generally don’t thrive. It also takes more out of the ewe and very few can raise three successfully, when one has a single lamb we always try to take a lamb off a triplet to make 2 pairs.

Cheers Wrighty.

7D82F2D7-3D8C-4D09-9254-80D76ADE8F56.jpeg

Nice one GERBIL, Rephrase, magicians with time.

Hi all, I am sorry PDB but you need to explain I really don’t know what you mean none of us down sauff would know what you mean. :sunglasses:

Buzzer:
Well I am allowed to tell you all now as it is on general release that Davies International in our 50th year of trading has placed an order for ten new Scania S500’s to arrive later this year and will replace the existing fleet which is of 2014 vintage, this should keep the drivers happy as they all thought we were going to buy MAN’s so keep on Gelling boys they will be here soon enough, Chairs Buzzer.

will there be any changes with the livery buzzer…

m.a.n rules:

Buzzer:
Well I am allowed to tell you all now as it is on general release that Davies International in our 50th year of trading has placed an order for ten new Scania S500’s to arrive later this year and will replace the existing fleet which is of 2014 vintage, this should keep the drivers happy as they all thought we were going to buy MAN’s so keep on Gelling boys they will be here soon enough, Chairs Buzzer.

will there be any changes with the livery buzzer…

No change mate as it is simple with just the name on the headboard unlike times past when the whole of both sides and the front were lettered and done in traditional painted on signwriting, today it is just stickers so when you sell on it is just removed and mop the paint ready for the new owner. The stripes on the trailers meet with those on the units but the new ones are a bit taller and have flat floors in the cabs plus a swivel passenger seat, only one bunk but storage cabinets where the second one would have been. We keep the same reg numbers so no need for new fuel cards etc just makes the change over more simple, will anyone notice there new I am not sure, chairs Buzzer.

thanks for reply mate, agree with all still a striking fleet and having seen a couple of them close up last year. you would never guess their age, i just loved the old livery could never decide which was the better yours or pulleyns… :wink:

The two tone blue and red chassis was awesome but would cost a fortune to paint a truck like that nowadays, Buzzer

126116931_193015075657376_4548850051572956671_n.jpg

Buzzer,
iknow this is your [site] and very good it is, however i do not want to get in to any disagreement with you… i never come across any [fridge] driver on meat out ,and fruit back from ITALY,SPAIN,FRANCE GREECE,in the1980s that did not have to be liberal with time tacho management .Gerbil if you were not aware you were lucky, i am not from the north nor were the fridge companies i worked for.

peggydeckboy:
Buzzer,
iknow this is your [site] and very good it is, however i do not want to get in to any disagreement with you… i never come across any [fridge] driver on meat out ,and fruit back from ITALY,SPAIN,FRANCE GREECE,in the1980s that did not have to be liberal with time tacho management .Gerbil if you were not aware you were lucky, i am not from the north nor were the fridge companies i worked for.

Get your point PDB but we never discussed such matters and the 80’s & 90’s were a totally different ball game than today, I once had a logbook launched into a field in Macon in the very early days and the ocifer never understood a logbook, when shipping out one always got 200 ■■■■ and a bottle of whisky which in the old days was part of your ticket out of Southampton, this was handy if one got in a sticky situation but the norm was a bung or coffee as it was affectionally known but that was 10ff or 5000 lira the ■■■■ and booze were if you were in deep ■■■■. Off course this sort of avoiding actual hours driven was common place but the ones who openly discussed this on the CB were fools. Back then we had drivers who pulled stunts that would not be heard of today and as we have digi cards now you cannot cheat its all on the printouts. Think you will find Gerbil is on a wind up and Mary Hopkins moments they certainly were, chairs Buzzer.

The Portuguese GNR traffic police certainly had a reputation for bribery and corruption in the 90’s , with their trumped up or made up offences such being fined for running on a truck ban when there wasn’t, over height loads or trailers with those immortal words “ You must pay “ .
It was reported in the newspaper that some of them ended up in jail as their neighbours became suspicious of their wealth trappings of a new car, swimming pool, jewellery and holidays on a meagre pay package, I had heard of false weigh bridges incorrectly rigged to make you over weight .

Hi all, Buzzer what do you mean me having a wind up don’t know what you mean never been known . I did learn my lesson with a French policeman he said i had to pay 50 Frank’s so i said how much is a coffee he said 500 so i payed me fifty Frank’s and shut up. The best one was four of us traveling under convey exceptional we were supposed to be 1 km apart but got stuck in road work’s and all caught each other up they fined us 500 Frank’s each they would not except the fact that we were apart but not our fault we all caught up. Happy day’s. ( Mary Hopkins as Buzzer would say.) :sunglasses:

HI John

Just order the trucks dark blue with a red chassis & put light blue stripes simples
Cheers
Rich

Yes Buzzer all true what you say ,i had my suspicions with the sun glasses on the motive ,where i come from there is a saying [do not kid a kidder] end off topic for me anyway.all in the past .pdp.

Buzzer:

Morning Buzzer,
Nice to see that D.I.T has passed on to the next generation successfully and placed the order for 10 new units, it don’t seem like 7 years have passed since your lads appeared in the Scania magazine when those R480’s were new!
One of your FH’s from FB, Cheer’s Pete

wrighty:
“DEANB”

Another wet week and to top it off we had snow,hail wind and rain yesterday. On a brighter note the lambing seems to be going ok( too many triplets though)

but obviously not ?

Afternoon DEANB

The problem with triplets is that a ewe has 2 teats, ideally one for each lamb when you have three they have to fight for every drop of milk and generally don’t thrive. It also takes more out of the ewe and very few can raise three successfully, when one has a single lamb we always try to take a lamb off a triplet to make 2 pairs.

Cheers Wrighty.

Morning Wrighty, Thanks for explaining about triplets,always learn something new on here ! :wink:

Couple loading ships stores yesterday, Buzzer.