Davies Int. Southampton. With photos (Part 1)

Morning all…
Re the pic of the old yard JD…
I know you bought many second hand trucks over the years, but what and when was the first " brand spanker " ?
How’s the foxhunt going?

On a trucking note… I live not too far from the N10 these days near Limoges. I read in a French paper yesterday that there are plans afoot to make trucks use the autoroute instead. 10,000 trucks a day on the stretch they’re talking about :open_mouth:
I’ve driven on that road a fair bit recently and not once have I seen a UK truck. How times have changed .

Hope you and the family are well. All the best . Balders. :sunglasses:

Balders we need you back in Ireland so you can send us some rain which we are desperate for, just come of Sunday morning fox watch and had me porridge and me tea.
As for the first new truck that was in 86 a Globe trotter from Princes Commercials C789 BPO at a tad over 33K and your mate Mappo ended up as steering wheel attendant, of course there were more to follow after that all new first some Scania’s then we went back to Volvo for a good few years with a sprinkling of DAF’s and now back to Scania’s.
Quite like it round Limoges and the bottom end of France used to love doing the wine tanks two trips a week , first round Lyon second round Bordeaux area so good variety the only boring bit was the ferries. As for today there are not many British companies doing the job now, been taken over by the flip flops eastern European drivers who have decimated the job bending rules and no one on duty here to punish them.
All well on the home front thanks but getting older 70 in July so slowing down a bit but got me steers to keep me active even though that man in ■■■■■■■ Dennis is throwing aspersians that i am only capable of keeping mice now but that is all water off a ducks back to me, best get on and plant the last row of Runner beans out, cheers Buzzer.

Ah… I didn’t realise that was the first new one… Used to see it in that layby when I moved to Swanwick in '84…

So you’re 70… Catching Charlie one up then!

The weather in Ireland was " fierce " as they say there. You only have to look over the weathermans shoulder on the uk weather forecasts and see the low pressure and storms coming in from the Atlantic!
Good for the grass for the livestock farming boys… You can’t grow much else though except spuds and you know what happened there back in the day.
You couldn’t get a bag of crisps for love nor money in the 1870’'s

Ask Charlie , he’ll know .
( that’s 2 mentions Charlie . Payment in Euros please . DKV accepted )

All a bit quiet… Not much on here from the QC or Tir T etc…

Ttfn all … :smiley:

Its not fair Wrighty is getting all the wet stuff, today we had about ten spots of rain I know as I counted them, have a word Balder’s, cheers Buzzer.

Buzzer:
Its not fair Wrighty is getting all the wet stuff, today we had about ten spots of rain I know as I counted them, have a word Balder’s, cheers Buzzer.

Evening Buzzer

Well were getting plenty of the wet stuff and it’s fair mekint grass grow, mi lawn looks so good a neighbours cows and calves decided to walk all over it and med a reet mess. Managed to mow some of it but the rest will need the divots filling and rolling first.
Parked up overlooking Turriff tonight tipping here int morning then we’ll see where we load…

Cheers Wrighty.

WP_20190530_006.jpg

Wrighty that happened to us here one night it were blowing a hooly and peeing down, never heard a thing but as you say they made a mess. We only knew cos I had a peek out of window when I went to bed and saw them, we got em back in and tied the bolt on gate of the yard and now I have dog clips on all the yard gates.
Next morning I got on the ride on mower as its got wide wheel and just went round and round moving over a wheel width at a time and after about two months of recovery you would not know they had bin on there, Buzzer.

Buzzer:
Wrighty that happened to us here one night it were blowing a hooly and peeing down, never heard a thing but as you say they made a mess. We only knew cos I had a peek out of window when I went to bed and saw them, we got em back in and tied the bolt on gate of the yard and now I have dog clips on all the yard gates.
Next morning I got on the ride on mower as its got wide wheel and just went round and round moving over a wheel width at a time and after about two months of recovery you would not know they had bin on there, Buzzer.

As it happens we were planning to go and look at ride on mowers this weekend, might have to buy one with fat wheels and get rolling…oh and a dumpy bag of builders sand.

Buzzer:

I rest my case ! :unamused: :blush: :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Hi Balders, Buzzer and everyone else.
Sorry for being absent for so long, but i’ve had a worrying 3 months…I’ve been diagnosed with the dreaded Cancer
in three different places…both lungs and prostrate.
After numerous visits to the Hospital for tests,x rays, scans, biopsies, and a couple of ’ oscopies ’ i’m finally going in tomorrow
to have part of my right lung removed tumour included hopefully…
I’ll be kept in for a week probably, and then 6-8 weeks recovering at home.
I know it’s a long way off, but hopefully i’ll be able to make the August bash ( never missed one yet ), but it depends what
further treatment i’ll be having on the other lung and prostrate.

Buzzer, what great memories i have of driving C789 BPO…wonderful times.

mappo:
Sorry for being absent for so long, but i’ve had a worrying 3 months…I’ve been diagnosed with the dreaded Cancer
After numerous visits to the Hospital for tests,x rays, scans, biopsies, and a couple of ’ oscopies ’ i’m finally going in tomorrow
I know it’s a long way off, but hopefully i’ll be able to make the August bash ( never missed one yet ), but it depends what

Good luck with your Op mate and hope it all goes to plan and I know a lot on these threads will echo my sentiments in wishing you well, cheers Buzzer.

PS. there aint no fruit machines in there either, keep your pecker up mate.

mappo:

Tony, I sincerely hope everything goes well, Keep smiling, I will talk to you soon. Kind Regards, Ray.

mappo:

Hope the treatment goes well and you make a speedy recovery, all the best from us up ere int hills…

Cheers Wrighty.

On my rounds this morning checking the steers 0930 with “Woody” the dog on the marsh, looking contented Buzzer.

wrighty:

mappo:

Hope the treatment goes well and you make a speedy recovery, all the best from us up ere int hills…

Cheers Wrighty.

Gel on steady Tone…
Will pm you… Balders.

Evening Buzzer

Taken a couple of days holiday this week so been busy farming today, had the vet to PD and Prid some cows and turned some more out. Weathers been not bad today and a nice sunny night so got to work patching mi lawn, I took your advice and have been rolling it with the quad bike…seems to be working alright.

Cheers Wrighty.

WP_20190605_005.jpg

WP_20190604_004.jpg

mappo:

Hello Mappo,

Like most on here, I only know you from posts. Just want to give best wishes.

John.

Early post today and how nice to get up to the feel of gentle RAIN on me head when I went to let chicken out and my goodness we need the wet stuff right now, my resident man on fox watch has not been for the last couple of days but I thought I would sit in because the minute you take your eye of the ball he sneaks back and raids you.
This morning my main man came back and sat watching and sure enough after ten days Mr Fox came visiting and he got him, heard the shot and left me cup of tea to go and see and sure enough it was a Dog fox and boy don’t they stink, he had to have a second shot to dispatch him but he is done for, its a bit like in business keep on persevering and and you will reap the rewards, all in all a great start to the day her in the rainy South of England feeling slightly relieved but there are lots more where he came from, Cheers Buzzer.

Well done to your Mate Buzzer so what you have to do is cut his “brush” (tail) off and keep it as a trophy i.e. Buzzer 1 Reynard 0 ! But ugh! it looks a bit grotty to say the least not like the fine specimens we have up in our part of the world ! Wrighty will concur ! Looks like you should have taken pity on him and put out a saucer of milk for him every night eh! Cheers Dennis.

Bewick:
Well done to your Mate Buzzer so what you have to do is cut his “brush” (tail) off and keep it as a trophy i.e. Buzzer 1 Reynard 0 ! But ugh! it looks a bit grotty to say the least not like the fine specimens we have up in our part of the world ! Wrighty will concur ! Looks like you should have taken pity on him and put out a saucer of milk for him every night eh! Cheers Dennis.

Hey up Dennis it was peeing down when he got shot that’s why he looked so bedraggled but my god did he stink, I would have put a saucer of milk out if I could have laced it with summit deadly but alas you cannot do that any more, put him in a plastic bag to take him to dump in the woods but he was in the garage for a couple of hours first and it still smells in there now just hope he aint got too many mates, some people don’t like you shooting them but they can do real damage if you don’t stop em, cheers Buzzer.

Buzzer:

Bewick:

Hey up Dennis it was peeing down when he got shot that’s why he looked so bedraggled but my god did he stink, I would have put a saucer of milk out if I could have laced it with summit deadly but alas you cannot do that any more, put him in a plastic bag to take him to dump in the woods but he was in the garage for a couple of hours first and it still smells in there now just hope he aint got too many mates, some people don’t like you shooting them but they can do real damage if you don’t stop em, cheers Buzzer.

—king 'ell Buzzer you had him your garage for a while, are you some kind of “Anti” or what ? ! Don’t put the little ■■■■ in a plastic bag as that will prolong and preserve the evidence ! just sling him into a corner of the wood where his carcass will soon be dealt with by the other smaller scavengers, same as I do with The Greys ! Cheers Dennis.