Corona virus and european driving

Yep, I completely agree with you and I think all of us discussing this post are mostly on the same page, a pragmatic one I’d say but let’s hope the resident trolls from over the wall don’t show up.

The system of drug development bias toward deep pockets and big profits Is a massive issue we must indeed address but I have no idea where to start on that one but as always you are better read than me and probably most around here god knows where you find the time but I will definitely try to pick up those books you mention.

Fingers crossed however that we or ours don’t have serious Corona misfortune down the road after all this talk.

Hurryup&wait:
Yep, I completely agree with you and I think all of us discussing this post are mostly on the same page, a pragmatic one I’d say but let’s hope the resident trolls from over the wall don’t show up.

The system of drug development bias toward deep pockets and big profits Is a massive issue we must indeed address but I have no idea where to start on that one but as always you are better read than me and probably most around here god knows where you find the time but I will definitely try to pick up those books you mention.

Fingers crossed however that we or ours don’t have serious Corona misfortune down the road after all this talk.

PM-ed you.

True or false, fact or fiction? Who knows, food for thought nonetheless. Just what is the endgame here?

its a mild version of the flu…but wheres the hype about that… :confused:

I don’t have time to give a full answer, (lucky escape for you) but this looks like comparing apples and oranges.
The suicide rate in China is (WHO figures) less than 10 per 100,000.
COVID 19 has a death rate of one or two percent, that is over 1,000 per 100,000.
They are comparing virus deaths from a small area in a short time, with deaths from other causes over a vastly bigger area over a longer time.
If and when this virus “gets loose” it may well be devastating.
I’ll write more later if you like!

Err, nah, you’re ok thanks.

the maoster:
Err, nah, you’re ok thanks.

Huh…
I’m heart broken…
Sniff.

Lies, lies and damned statistics; just read a statistic that in Britain you’re more likely to die in Michael Barrymores pool than of covid 19. That came from the Rochdale Herald so it must be true! :wink:

NHS: this morning said anyone who has been in Italy recently, and show symptoms, should self isolate.
Check their site for up to date advice, etc.

A few of us were discussing this virus on the ferry this week.
We just couldn’t work out why Italy has got it so bad, especially in Lombardi (north of the country)
then one of my colleagues suggested could it be because of the number of migrants there ?

Possibility or not ?

pierrot 14:
We just couldn’t work out why Italy has got it so bad, especially in Lombardi (north of the country)
then one of my colleagues suggested could it be because of the number of migrants there ?

Possibility or not ?

How would that be so?
Are the migrants newly flown in from China?
Are the migrants highly social and mobile? That is do they mix closely with others and move between them a lot?

pierrot 14:

Possibility or not ?

How about the possibility that it has spread quicker because of the deep rooted culture of kissing and shaking hands in the country as a greeting?

Twoninety88:

pierrot 14:

Possibility or not ?

How about the possibility that it has spread quicker because of the deep rooted culture of kissing and shaking hands in the country as a greeting?

What, you mean like here in France ■■? :unamused: :unamused:

Franglais:

pierrot 14:

Possibility or not ?

How would that be so?
Are the migrants highly social and mobile? That is do they mix closely with others and move between them a lot?

Wasn’t actually talking about Chinese people Franglais.
Have you seen the death and contaminated figures for Iran ?

WASHINGTON — Iran has the highest reported number of deaths from the corona virus outside China,

There are loads of Iranian immigrants in Italy (and probably heading this way).
Italy has a very high number of immigrants from all nations,
it’s the dumping ground for all those that have been rescued from the Med ?

Have a read of this

nytimes.com/2020/03/03/worl … -iran.html

What I can’t understand is WHY has Italy been hit so hard by this virus ■■?
And what is really worrying is that Italy is just next door !!!

pierrot 14:

Franglais:

pierrot 14:

Possibility or not ?

How would that be so?

WASHINGTON — Iran has the highest reported number of deaths from the corona virus outside China,

Have a read of this

Italy hit hard? Pretty soon all countries will be hit equally hard.
This is a new virus, no one has immunity, it is probably more deadly than common flu, but less than Spanish flu.
Italy may be the first in Europe to be infected this way, but it’s highly unlikely to be the last. Somewhere had to be first, and it may be just be fate it is Italy. Sorry.

Franglais:

pierrot 14:

Franglais:

pierrot 14:

Possibility or not ?

How would that be so?

Have a read of this

Italy hit hard? Pretty soon all countries will be hit equally hard.
This is a new virus, no one has immunity, it is probably more deadly than common flu, but less than Spanish flu.
Italy may be the first in Europe to be infected this way, but it’s highly unlikely to be the last. Somewhere had to be first, and it may be just be fate it is Italy. Sorry.

I understand that it will probably spread N E & W,
But it still doesn’t explain why or how Italy and only Italy primarily, has got it so bad.

As I understand it, Italy doesn’t really have it particularly badly.
It is much as expected. It’ll probably be the same for everywhere. If Italy is in front of other places in the curve, well, somewhere has to be first!
If Italy is in front at the moment, don’t fret! Well all catch up soon.
It is serious, and sensible precautions should be taken, but they will only slow its course. The genie will not return to the bottle.

Personally I’m not massively concerned with it, I’m not at any great risk from it’s effects. But, that doesn’t mean I don’t take it in to account, from what I understand the rate of infection doubles every 4 days, and when you think about it, it’s quite scary. The majority of people will be fine if they do get it, but if you look at what the chief medical officer said with their ‘at worse’ predictions, up to 80% of the population (just shy of 70 million) could get it, and with a mortality rate of 1% that is a possible 560,000 deaths here in the UK, everyone will know someone who has it.

Franglais:
As I understand it, Italy doesn’t really have it particularly badly

I think you might want to reconsider that comment

worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/italy
bbc.com/news/world-europe-51845817
thelocal.it/20200309/map-wh … s-outbreak

It is much as expected. It’ll probably be the same for everywhere.
If Italy is in front of other places in the curve, well, somewhere has to be first!

Still doesn’t explain why Italy first and why so bad

If Italy is in front at the moment, don’t fret! Well all catch up soon.
It is serious, and sensible precautions should be taken, but they will only slow its course. The genie will not return to the bottle.

Monsieur Macron is concerned it seems,
broadcasted live on TV this evening
As of Monday 15th March

"ALL Schools, Colleges, Lycees and Universities will close

for an undetermined period, to be reviewed in 3 weeks