Concerned About My Location

Hi,

I’m new here and am thinking about going for Class 2. I’ve not had any driving jobs before, but many years driving a variety of vehicles. This is a complete change of career and one that I’ve spent a lot of time researching; the lifestyle, types of work etc.

I’ve even gone so far to have had the optician complete that part of the D4.

I’m 54 and this opportunity has come about due to changes to my personal life over the last few years; Separation from wife etc. The last few years I’ve been finding my feet again, bumming around various min wage jobs. I really enjoy driving and think this will be ideal for me.

However, I do have a few concerns:

My age - am I too old to start this? I am reasonably fit, need to lose a few pounds etc but generally ok.

My location. I am in mid/South Wales and would probably have to commute fair distances for jobs, especially if I start with agency work. Just to give you an idea, here are some of my distances from large towns/cities:

Hereford 30 miles 50 mins
Gloucester 64 miles 90 mins
Monmouth 35 miles 50 mins
Cardiff 52 miles 80 mins
Swansea 50 miles 80 mins
Newport 38 miles 60 mins
Swindon 97 miles 110 mins
Birmingham 95 miles 130 mins
Wrexham 92 miles 140 mins

Am I overthinking here?

Would be particularly interested in any feedback from anyone based in Wales. I could, of course, relocate in the future if all goes well.

Go for it and find a weekly tramping job where you stay with same truck t, then it’s only a Monday drive in and Friday drive home

As above, you’re a perfect candidate for tramping. Out all week so only one commute.

So far as your age goes, no worries. Some employers will prefer somebody of more mature years.

All the best with it, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Yep what has been said. Only way to do it if your in the middle of no where. Although it would be bit harder to find a Mon-Friday class 2 tramping job then a class 1. But best of luck mate the job has its pros and cons but doesn’t everything… :-')

Hicks transport MIGHT help you but not really sure on class 2 if not ABE in Ledbury run class 2.

SouthEastCashew:
Although it would be bit harder to find a Mon-Friday class 2 tramping job then a class 1.

I’d say “nearly impossible”, especially as a new pass. Speaking from personal experience.

Regarding the age thing?
DOn’t worry about it.
I’m 61, been back driving for 4-5 months now on Agency. Did a few jobs for a day, a week, or two, then found this job…Full time at John Lewis (inc after Xmas).
Hard graft, white goods, mattresses, furniture, etc. Lost half a stone in weight in 3 weeks :smiley:
Driving and dropping around Central London is a nightmare but kinda fun too.
Good hourly rate of 14.34.

Age is no obstacle as long as you can actually DO the work.
Go for it.

Thanks for all your replies and encouragement. I really appreciate it. I’ve been keeping an eye on relevant job vacancies in and around Wales over recent weeks. Quite a few Class 2 come up, more Class 1 tho. There is quite a variety of types of work; not seen many with 5 nights away, more with 2/3 nights out. There are also things like tipping (aggregates etc), vehicle breakdown, builders merchants, rigid fuel (especially kerosene in Wales) and more I’m sure. I know some of these require additional licences/certs but it’s something to work towards. May even go for class 1 as well.