Companies charging drivers for stuff

Glad that the cost of damage caused by the driver is his resonsibility don’t apply to me 'cos the one and only time I was partly to blame the bill came to nigh on 16 grand for the repair plus a weeks loss of earnings of over 2 grand a day !!!

raymundo:
Glad that the cost of damage caused by the driver is his resonsibility don’t apply to me 'cos the one and only time I was partly to blame the bill came to nigh on 16 grand for the repair plus a weeks loss of earnings of over 2 grand a day !!!

'kin 'ell mate. Nearly a week’s wages down the drain.
Was it a “parking bump”?

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

Not exactly truck related but damage all the same …

and after repair …

robroy:
I wonder how many of the drivers on here that are ‘horrified and outraged’ that the o/p and his mates have to pay for stuff out of their own pocket, …have themselves Kelsa Bars/spots, chrome wheel trims, and all the rest of that type of crap, paid for voluntarily by themselves or the worst I can think of… traded holidays for them. :unamused:
Just wondered. :smiley:

This… i know of a blinged up tipper fleet up ■■■■■■■ where they trade thier hols for light bars…it beggars belief…

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

raymundo:
Not exactly truck related but damage all the same …
and after repair …

We’ve got rocks hiding in bushes to contend with, guess you’ve rocks hiding in seaweed?

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

robroy:
I wonder how many of the drivers on here that are ‘horrified and outraged’ that the o/p and his mates have to pay for stuff out of their own pocket, …have themselves Kelsa Bars/spots, chrome wheel trims, and all the rest of that type of crap, paid for voluntarily by themselves or the worst I can think of… traded holidays for them. :unamused:
Just wondered. :smiley:

Years back I went for an interview at a Lincs spud haulier known for purple bling trucks who said the company “offer” the drivers the chance to bling up their motors in return for deducting holiday. He added there’s a waiting list for the job. After I fell off the plastic chair laughing I couldn’t finish the sentence “don’t bother adding me”. :laughing: .

Reef:
Name and shame or it didn’t happen, …

I believe that you can do that on other sites, but wouldn’t we like to think that there are two sides to any story?

Let’s be fair, such a boss as was described in the OP isn’t likely to come on here and give his side of the story or attempt to justify his actions in an open debate is he?

Then we might need to consider that sometimes, a ‘complaint’ isn’t accurately and fairly described by the complainant, or sometimes the complainant doesn’t give the whole story.

Those are just my ideas on your name and shame comment, but I’ll swiftly add that I’m not suggesting that my comments are true of the OP in this case.

But surely the onus of the validity of the accusation falls upon the poster? If it’s untrue then I’m sure (once named) that any other member here who drives or has driven for same said company can then jump to that companies defence by saying that’s a complete load of BS I’ve worked there for x amount of years and they only do that to drivers that continually break stuff after repeated warnings and chances.

If it’s a company that no one else here has worked for (highly unlikely) and it doesn’t get rebuffed then I still doubt it’s going to harm that companies ability to employ people, I always say when it comes to interviews with firms that you’ve heard “rumours” about still go for an interview and make up your own mind whilst there, but at least you’ll then have the opportunity to carefully word a question about a said practice which you may not have thought about asking otherwise.

So I’ll stick with my original comment, Name and shame or it didn’t happen!

I personally think naming and shaming is a very bad idea. As said there is always two sides to every story and drivers (not making a comment about this case) have been known to make stuff up. Random accusations on a forum of this size can do a lot of damage to a company

There seem to be quite a few companies large and small that seem to think that their drivers are there to pay their insurance excess in the event of an accident next they will be asking driver’s to get their own insurance to drive the companies vehicles

I have heard where a few pay a bonus yearly for no accidents and should a driver be involved in a fault accident they lose that bonus but no money out of their wages which sounds like a more fairer system thought it wouldn’t cover them for more than one accident or vehicle damage

switchlogic:
I personally think naming and shaming is a very bad idea. As said there is always two sides to every story and drivers (not making a comment about this case) have been known to make stuff up. Random accusations on a forum of this size can do a lot of damage to a company

This^^^

… and very well put if you don’t mind me saying so. :smiley:

TBF, Reef makes a good point, but on balance… I think that Reef’s point is well outweighed by the counterargument.

I recently did a “name and shame” post about an agency I had been working for which failed to pay me on time, and a TruckNet member kindly sent the link to the thread to the agency concerned. As a result of that, the Head Honcho phoned me, discussed my grievance in great length, accepted that there had been failings on their part and put into place measures designed to prevent the same issue happening again to other drivers.

I’m back happily working for them, and they have acted on the feedback on TruckNet and made alterations to their procedures, so I consider my actions to have had a positive outcome for both parties.

The above post by Harry Monk goes to show that if you have a grievance about anything job related it is far better to take it up with the individual concerned in person face to face.Sadly,in my experience,the average driver has nowhere near that amount of courage.Only if the complaint can’t be settled should you go down the road of trade unions or solicitors.

Gidders:
The above post by Harry Monk goes to show that if you have a grievance about anything job related it is far better to take it up with the individual concerned in person face to face.Sadly,in my experience,the average driver has nowhere near that amount of courage.Only if the complaint can’t be settled should you go down the road of trade unions or solicitors.

When I was running my own very small transport company, I wouldn’t have minded anybody posting full details of any grievance they had with me on TruckNet, and I would simply have answered with my point of view and left it for others to read and judge me by. Had the consensus of opinion been that I was in the wrong, I would have taken it on the chin and changed my errant ways.

I suppose that’s why I never made any money at it. :stuck_out_tongue:

Most companies over here do things like this. Although my company is the exception to most B/S they do have some rules that have a similar effect. If POD’s as you call them are lost or not turned in you don’t have to pay, you do loose a portion of your bonus but in the case of this company there is no real excuse to not turn them in, each time we deliver we eventually get fuel at a truck stop, all the bigger stops have ‘Transflow express’ where you just place the documents in and it reads all info and the documents are emailed to the payroll dept instantly, we also have Transflow on our smart phones just in case we don’t get to a truck stop, take the photo and send it in an instant. It’s all so simple.
As for paying for other stuff I do find it ridiculous that we have free shirts and jackets but if we want other clothing items we have to pay.