Coaches PCV

I took a load of 6th form Geography students to Studland beach today, got paid for spending 4 hours sunbathing on the sand and going for a swim. I’ve got 6 hours in Oxford tomorrow, so might go for a run along the river or go for lunch with the other driver.
Had a mooch around Gunwharf Quay in Portsmouth yesterday and got free entry up the Spinnaker Tower, been to all the major theme parks (for free), get pretty decent tips, quite often get free grub at attractions, get free grub in MSA’s (actually I have to pay 1p), only do day trips so I’m home every night…
After 18 years (proper) tramping in artics, If I never drove a truck again it would be too soon! Although the pay isn’t the best in the world (I’m making enough to get by and squirrel a little away) I’m living the life of riley on coaches.

Drove to the race course to day ,got the bike out and skedadled as didn’t want to meet and greet with the Ministry chaps. Rode 25 miles had a laugh with other drivers watched the last two races and drove back home . Reasonable tip about a £per head and a few bottles left on the bus for me. Happy days.

Great info there guys. I passed my PCV & CPC tests this week, any recommendations on companies West Yorkshire based who would look after a new driver?

I had a delightful 8 week summer job for wallace arnold in leeds as a coach driver just before I emigrated to canada This was in 1976. Great job in the season lots of free meals and tips …but once september comes than a large amount of drivers were laid off. Many drivers had their HGV and went on to domestic fuel deliveries for the winter months. I drove all british built coaches but the first volvos were arriving.I did long distance british work a lot of filler trips for national express . I only had one difficult trip the rest were great. I thought about a career with greyhound lines of canada in the 1970 s but unfortunately they recently canceled their whole operation in western canada. Picture me in 1975 working for bancroft and powers coalville…ex skills nottingham AEC regent photo taken on Oxford bye pass en route to bourmouth .

Theres a huge private school in North Leeds that are looking for pcv drivers atm, regular school routes am and pm with a few private hires thrown in the middle sometimes.
I drive there and do hgv work during the holidays but they do split your wages up so you get paid every month regardless.
They would look after you

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

TonyAPR:
Great info there guys. I passed my PCV & CPC tests this week, any recommendations on companies West Yorkshire based who would look after a new driver?

Well done you!

I’m in the middle of mine at the moment but the company I have trained with have already said they will give me work once I pass.

I can’t suggest companies though sorry as I’m ‘dawn souf’ but cross my fingers you find something great :smiley:

DickyNick:
Well shortly after I passed my car test I always fancied a go on buses/coaches, and then HGVs, and then back to buses and that cycle continued. Unfortunately the age for either licence 21, not 18 like it is now. So either way I had to let the idea go for a few years.

Having done other things in the mean time, I’m 31 now and finally got my class 1 at 27. But even then I was toying with the idea of getting the PCV instead first, with th intention of always giving both a try.

The main reason that swung it for me to go for the HGV was that there was and still is much more info about it online, such as here! And you tube videos. Searching google there was loads more HGV jobs going than on coaches, and the potential earning seemed better.

I may well still give give it a go in the future.

I think you have the licence confused, PCV you could pass at 18, I passed mine when I was just over 19 in 1994, I was restricted to 30 miles or 50 km so you being 18, 15 year ago you could of got a PCV licence. just restricted to distance you could travel.

One of the easier days of coach driving :laughing: :laughing:

Discoman , that was Bitton steam train station near Bristol , great little cafe and two old train coaches used for a restaurant , if you walk towards Bath , about ten minutes away , look to the right , a massive mansion with a fishing lake , that is the home of Noel Edmunds , previously owned by Tv `s Hinge and Brackett comedians .
Look out for Mr Blobby running around in his garden , and a low flying helicopter , that will be Noel flying it .