Closest call you can remember

Had one today,

Driving in the 2 lane on 4 lane stretch and move to indicate to lane 3 (road split for my exit) and car is hugging the back bumper of my trailer so let him go past slowly and move out after him. He gets around 100 yards ahead when an artic on euro plates goes to verge in to lane 3 also and smashes into his back bumper sending bits flying everywhere and almost sending the car into a spin which would have wiped out the 3 cars in lane 4 and left me with nowhere to go as there were cars in lane 1 and 2 at the side of my trailer. Luckily the car driver managed with some serious skill to keep it under control and avoided which could have been a fatality as I was hitting the limiter at 55mph with about 100yards of stopping distance/reaction time with no options.

I’ve seen a few bad smashes running round the country but that was among the closest I’ve came to actually being involved in one

I had an accident happen right in front of me. Car gout hit by a truck went sideways.
I managed to get past and avoid any debris. It looked pretty serious. But at the same time do you stop or not on a live motorway to help? That is the question.

Whilst I agree that cars have the right to travel (within the law and reason) at any speed they want to I’m still amazed that they will happily dawdle beside a lorry instead of making a decisive overtake and getting themselves clear of any potential danger.

They are not doing anything wrong per se, but surely they either need to hone or develop a sense of self preservation.

the maoster:
Whilst I agree that cars have the right to travel (within the law and reason) at any speed they want to I’m still amazed that they will happily dawdle beside a lorry instead of making a decisive overtake and getting themselves clear of any potential danger.

They are not doing anything wrong per se, but surely they either need to hone or develop a sense of self preservation.

The way it’s described is that the hazard of merging traffic, in this case involving trucks, was predictable.Why wasn’t the car in lane 4 overtaking and allowing space for any merging traffic ahead in lane 3.
I think you’re way underestimating the crash for cash angle in all this.
It’s obvious that they are needlessly strategically hanging around predictably lane changing/merging traffic, especially trucks, rather than just overtaking them.
If you don’t then fall into their trap their next all too predictable move is to needlessly brake heavily after you’ve waited for them to crawl past and then merged or changed lanes behind them.
That move is so predictable and common now it’s laughable.

No comment :smiley:

switchlogic:

Not a close call far from it but it’s a pity your dash cam didn’t record your slip into the ditch
It would have made great footage for your weekly videos, now that would be Hollywood stuff worth looking at

Woman car driver tried to do “ death by truck” and picked me ! I had nowhere to go lloaded to 56.5 , she chickened out mere seconds away . , not a good feeling even 5-6yrs on

Back in the day when you crossed the Canning town bridge and turned right to go silvertown, I was coming in from the Barking area. I stopped outside a post office to phone in and a bedford dormobile stopped at the lights where I would have been with the ERF I was driving. As I was walking across to the phone box a tipper (whoda thought it) came belting across the bridge to make the right turn towards silvertown. His o/s/r wheel hit the keep left island and he ended up on top of the dormobile. The driver was trapped but not badly hurt. The tipper was airborne when he hit, so if that had been me, I might have lost me legs, or worse.

Carryfast:

the maoster:

The way it’s described is that the hazard of merging traffic, in this case involving trucks, was predictable.Why wasn’t the car in lane 4 overtaking and allowing space for any merging traffic ahead in lane 3.
It’s obvious that they are needlessly strategically hanging around predictably lane changing/merging traffic, especially trucks, rather than just overtaking them.
If you don’t then fall into their trap their next all too predictable move is to needlessly brake heavily after you’ve waited for them to crawl past and then merged or changed lanes behind them.

How about this, the car is in lane 3 which will become lane 1 on 2 lane section… how about the truck driver uses his Mirror and filter correctly rather than expect cars to move… after all truck drivers are “professional” drivers are they not… there is no such thing as an accident, the euro driver was not driving according to the road… look, how about people do not walk on pavements because a cyclist will use part of it in a cycle lane… there is no law stating a car must drive at 70… you imply the car is deliberately hanging Around … any decent truck driver would of pre empted and moved 600 yard prior to split… it’s called reading the road…

Mine was on the M25 around by Rickmansworth about 1985 before it was completed, sailing along quite happily with an A framed draw bar fully loaded with very little traffic about, caught up
with an artic eased off slightly as there was a car passing me, waited for the car to pass & I then indicated to pull out checked mirror again as moving out, looked forward and for what seemed like no
reason the car had slammed on its brakes, well I hit the brakes and the rest was an interesting ride as it was going over luckily it stayed upright and some how nothing got hit, the vehicle sorted itself out but
something did not feel right and to be honest I just wanted to stop to calm myself down, I took a walk back and found the A frame of the trailer was badly twisted but had not broken it. not sure if
the car driver was even aware of what had happened.

discoman:

Carryfast:

How about this, the car is in lane 3 which will become lane 1 on 2 lane section… how about the truck driver uses his Mirror and filter correctly rather than expect cars to move… after all truck drivers are “professional” drivers are they not… there is no such thing as an accident, the euro driver was not driving according to the road… look, how about people do not walk on pavements because a cyclist will use part of it in a cycle lane… there is no law stating a car must drive at 70… you imply the car is deliberately hanging Around … any decent truck driver would of pre empted and moved 600 yard prior to split… it’s called reading the road…

No I’m clearly implying crash for cash.
Which part of, if/when deliberately hanging around at the side and waiting for the predictable side swipe doesn’t work they then all too predictably brake sharply for no reason at all as the driver waits and slows down thereby forcing them to pass and then changes lanes behind them, didn’t you undertand.
It happens time and time again even when driving a car let alone a truck.As I said it’s now getting laughably predictable you know exactly what they are going to do before they do it.
You do know that these scammers will think nothing of sitting there at the side of a truck for miles waiting for their opportunity.
Or sometimes braking to a virtual stop at the side of traffic slowing down to make them pass when trying to merge at an entry slip road or change lanes.

Snow , ice on a64 , dropped my tri at bacon factory at Malton so headed back solo , came to the top of big hill with big drop either side at bottom with walls either side , coppers there sorting traffic so was waved to come down & against my better judgement I did , we started to slide & my focus went to the drop / wall I was heading for , no option but to boot it & hope it straightened up ( or we were going to hit wall & maybe go over .
It straightened up & we went up other side then changed my underwear ( I didn’t but it felt that I needed too )

Bigtruck3:

switchlogic:

Not a close call far from it but it’s a pity your dash cam didn’t record your slip into the ditch
It would have made great footage for your weekly videos, now that would be Hollywood stuff worth looking at

Ha yes I’ve often thought how good a recording would be. Even now a decade later the branches hitting the windscreen at full pelt feels like yesterday. Then stumbling out…not sure if I’ve ever mentioned it, the third or fourth car driver shouted ‘LUKE! LUKE! I watch your videos’ :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: . I’ve never wished the ground would swallow me as much as that moment! In next couple of hours had 5 or 6 pass who recognised, as did the recovery lads :smiley:

A black night…

Driving rain with a strong crosswind were the conditions as I drove around Vitoria-Gastiez in northern Spain. I was loaded with McDonalds heading for Victors at Burgos and then Madrid. A car passed me and then about 30 seconds later decided that the junction he’d just passed was the junction he wanted. Obviously the thing to do was stop, turn into the hard shoulder, take a little shunt and then drive back to the junction. A combination of tiredness, the street lights shimmering off the wet road and me reaching for yet another Marlboro was the reason I didn’t see any of that happen. I must have been 15 foot away before it registered exactly what was going on, I stood on the brakes and steered away and missed him by about a foot I reckon.

Yeh, I remember that one alright.

Carryfast:

discoman:

Carryfast:

No I’m clearly implying crash for cash.
Which part of, if/when deliberately hanging around at the side and waiting for the predictable side swipe doesn’t work they then all too predictably brake sharply for no reason at all as the driver waits and slows down thereby forcing them to pass and then changes lanes behind them, didn’t you undertand.
It happens time and time again even when driving a car let alone a truck.As I said it’s now getting laughably predictable you know exactly what they are going to do before they do it.
You do know that these scammers will think nothing of sitting there at the side of a truck for miles waiting for their opportunity.
Or sometimes braking to a virtual stop at the side of traffic slowing down to make them pass when trying to merge at an entry slip road or change lanes.

you make an insinuation its cash for crash, take the M25/M20 junction, any professioanl driver, if driving to the standards of which they passed the test, would be alert, and adjust driving conditions according to the road ahead, forward planning I thought was a basic for a “professional” if I am in my car doing 55mph, and a truck has left it late to indicate right and move over well his problem, I am not obliged to speed up or move to allow a trcuk in , if they leave it to the last minute to move lane… not all incidents are crash for cash… some are incompetence of truck drivers. if a truck has not paid attention and side swipes a car then he deserves all he gets… trucks have mirrors for a reason, if he cannot get in tough take the other motorway and return via next junction… of course your whiter than white and best truck driver rather than accept, truck drivers are tehre own worse enemy sometimes… and think they own the road. remember always drive as if everyone is out to get you.

discoman:
you make an insinuation its cash for crash, take the M25/M20 junction, any professioanl driver, if driving to the standards of which they passed the test, would be alert, and adjust driving conditions according to the road ahead, forward planning I thought was a basic for a “professional” if I am in my car doing 55mph, and a truck has left it late to indicate right and move over well his problem, I am not obliged to speed up or move to allow a trcuk in , if they leave it to the last minute to move lane… not all incidents are crash for cash… some are incompetence of truck drivers. if a truck has not paid attention and side swipes a car then he deserves all he gets… trucks have mirrors for a reason, if he cannot get in tough take the other motorway and return via next junction… of course your whiter than white and best truck driver rather than accept, truck drivers are tehre own worse enemy sometimes… and think they own the road. remember always drive as if everyone is out to get you.

As I said if it looks, flies, quacks, like a crash for cash scam it’s a scam.
The way it was described by the OP sounds just like it could have been what I’ve described.
Hanging around at the side of a truck for ages in the knowledge/hope that it will need to make a lane change and if that doesn’t work they brake harshly for no reason at all when the driver waits and then changes lanes or merges behind them.
I obviously do drive as if these scammer are out to get me that’s why I laugh at them when I see their pathetic scamming antics.Which is often.As I said I’ve actually seen them match my speed, including slowing down to a crawl/stop in lane 1 for example, while trying to stage a side swipe situation, when merging from an entry slip.
It’s reached the point where it’s actually much better to either not accelerate at all on the slip road so as to easily out brake them or accelerate early to a much higher speed so they haven’t got the time to match it.
A similar situation applies during lane changes also be prepared for the inevitable following heavy braking move being their default plan B.
You can add to that accelerating during/after they’ve been overtaken in the hope that you’ll side swipe them when returning to the nearside lane.
It’s all so laughably predictable.There’s a whole industry involving this going on and the law and insurers know it.

in a case of road rage a guy driving a low loader+excavator forced me to a halt onto the stones on hard shoulder slip road . As i sat there stunned i realized he just might be coming around the front of his cab with a knife… so i gunned the engine and raced on the stones and shot past his cab, missing him by a hairs breath [turns out he Was coming round!] in a flash i was gone- so close to killing him that day ,it was a close call for him haha

Went to jump out me cab as we do complete miss placed my self to top it all off went straight down a manhole completely messed myself up bust leg side ribs face was in a right mess on the up though I didn’t get to sit on the sofa for a week so not all bad well day time tv is :wink:

Dotty:
though I didn’t get to sit on the sofa for a week so not all bad well day time tv is :wink:

Did the wife consign you to the garden? Again.

Carryfast:
As I said if it looks, flies, quacks, like a crash for cash scam it’s a scam.
The way it was described by the OP sounds just like it could have been what I’ve described.
Hanging around at the side of a truck for ages in the knowledge/hope that it will need to make a lane change and if that doesn’t work they brake harshly for no reason at all when the driver waits and then changes lanes or merges behind them.
I obviously do drive as if these scammer are out to get me that’s why I laugh at them when I see their pathetic scamming antics.Which is often.As I said I’ve actually seen them match my speed, including slowing down to a crawl/stop in lane 1 for example, while trying to stage a side swipe situation, when merging from an entry slip.
It’s reached the point where it’s actually much better to either not accelerate at all on the slip road so as to easily out brake them or accelerate early to a much higher speed so they haven’t got the time to match it.
A similar situation applies during lane changes also be prepared for the inevitable following heavy braking move being their default plan B.
You can add to that accelerating during/after they’ve been overtaken in the hope that you’ll side swipe them when returning to the nearside lane.
It’s all so laughably predictable.There’s a whole industry involving this going on and the law and insurers know it.

I do admire you for one thing Carry Old Fruit…you put a remarkable amount of thought into seemingly random topics :smiley:

Carryfast:

‘And coming up shortly on BBC3- Carryfasts Road Wars’