cawthorn and sinclair

Chris Webb:
Mcphees were on City Road,Newcastle weren’t they Bumper? I backloaded off them in the late 60s out of Anglo Great Lakes on Scotswood Road.

thats right chris, the garage was on city rd, they also had a office on the quayside, wilfy hopper was in charge of traffic distribution in them days bumper

I might have posted this before but my gaffer played hell with me for loading off Mcphees - he said he wouldn’t get paid and stopped us backloading off them.Pity really because those electrodes were good loads and nearly always for Tinsley Park,Sheffield.They ran Scanias in latter years I think but I remember seeing them in the early 60s when they ran a Wolverhampton trunk I think it was.I can’t remember what wagons they ran then though.
I didn’t know Wilds took them over.

thanks again bubbleman. briliant pics. the reason the tilts were so high is that they were carrying t.v. tubes which were light but bulky. they were from thorns factory at sunderland to paris.

the cawthorn sinclair trucks running through birtley are my first memory of trucks.the site they used to be on now sells new motorhomes and vans.

Hi My dad was Don Blundell who used to be the manager of Cawthorns at Skelmersdale, sadly he has passed away now but he would have loved to see all the photos of the old trucks. I saw Terry Smith a few years ago at a cousins wedding, he was still irrepressible :wink:. If anyone has any photos of my dad I would love to see them :smiley:

hiya,
Hearts of oak those C and S lads doing continental with day shed ERFs, hope they had good digs or half a bed when o’er the water.
thanks harry long retired.

heres a few photos of the drivers

A lorry magazine back then did an article about C & S hauling a heavy machine from the UK to France or Germany, the tractor was a Scammel six wheeler with a gooseneck type dolly hooked to the fifthwheel and the lowbed trailer hooked to that. The tractor allso had a ‘bull bar’ on the front, great pics, wished i’d kept them mags :angry:
Charles

a model love sponge made of my dads f88 the real thing

Here is a pic taken in Le Havre in 68/69.Sorry about the size.Regards Charlie :laughing: :laughing:
IMG_0032.jpg

thanks for putting that photo on charlie one, my dad drove one just like that . might be his, but cant make out the number.

an early 1418 merc somewhere in europe

bubbleman:
Hello again,found a couple of cuttings from way back.

What a high tilt on the 2nd E.R.F.

Hiya…Adams butter had some Boden 36ft trailers in 1965. they was called Queen mary,s they was so long.
I,am stunned to see that people went over the water in KV erf,s no comfort there. and that high trailer could be
a ERF made trailer they only made about Ten i would think…Bakers at southampton had 1or 2 of them.
John.

hiya,
A pal of mine and a near neighbour Brian Robson was a long serving driver for C&S sadly Brian is long deceased but he related the times he went o’er the water in day cabbed ERF’s must have had a heart like a lion unless he had digs on his runs over there i could’nt get comfy in them for an afternoon nap let alone spend the night in one, but fair play i never carried the gear to level them out.

harry_gill:
hiya,
A pal of mine and a near neighbour Brian Robson was a long serving driver for C&S sadly Brian is long deceased but he related the times he went o’er the water in day cabbed ERF’s must have had a heart like a lion unless he had digs on his runs over there i could’nt get comfy in them for an afternoon nap let alone spend the night in one, but fair play i never carried the gear to level them out.

Hiya …there,s a burnt out day cab ERF LV on the Comart site. a chap i know went further than Istanbul in her, not sure just where he did go.
It had a 5 inch section between top of the cab doors and the roof giving more head room(maybe it was the first space cab)har har.
John

harry_gill:
hiya,

Hi Harry, here is a bit of info that you have probably heard before but here goes.

When Brian used to run to the South Of France and Italy in the 70’s he used to stay at a Les Routiers which was a French transport cafe but they were much better than what we had in the U.K.
One of his regular overnight stopping places was not far from Lyon and the manager of the cafe was a very keen soccer fan. As you well know Harry, Brian’s son was called Bryan Robson who became a brilliant soccer player and ended up being capped for England over 90 times. Brian gave the cafe owner a large signed photo of young Bryan which was put up on the wall of the cafe. Now here’s the bit that I am not sure of as I thought that Bryan’s photo shown him wearing a West Bromwich Albion kit where as a mate of mine recons he was wearing a Man United kit so maybe somebody on this site like Terry Smith :smiley: will remember seeing it.
The name of the cafe by the way was what all the U.K. drivers called The Footballers and I do know that there are a few drivers on here who used to stop there.

Regards Steve.

:blush: OH BUGGA, I have just read page one and realised that I had mentioned this over two years ago :blush:

Hi Harry, here is a bit of info that you have probably heard before but here goes.

When Brian used to run to the South Of France and Italy in the 70’s he used to stay at a Les Routiers which was a French transport cafe but they were much better than what we had in the U.K.
One of his regular overnight stopping places was not far from Lyon and the manager of the cafe was a very keen soccer fan. As you well know Harry, Brian’s son was called Bryan Robson who became a brilliant soccer player and ended up being capped for England over 90 times. Brian gave the cafe owner a large signed photo of young Bryan which was put up on the wall of the cafe. Now here’s the bit that I am not sure of as I thought that Bryan’s photo shown him wearing a West Bromwich Albion kit where as a mate of mine recons he was wearing a Man United kit so maybe somebody on this site like Terry Smith :smiley: will remember seeing it.
The name of the cafe by the way was what all the U.K. drivers called The Footballers and I do know that there are a few drivers on here who used to stop there.

Regards Steve.

:blush: OH BUGGA, I have just read page one and realised that I had mentioned this over two years ago :blush:
[/quote]
Hullo Steve,
I remember The Footballers very well, it was a regular stopping off place for many of us. The centre one of the three Routiers, all in a row. I can’t just remember the name of the place at the moment ( Old Age ) but it was in between Chalons sur Soane. and Tournus. I do remember that photograph as well, I’m afraid your mate was right it was a Manchester United shirt. :smiley: Half an hour later, after a bit of head scratching, I think it was the Hotel de la Gare, Varennes le Grande.

Cheers, Archie.

Archie Paice:
Hullo Steve, I remember The Footballers very well, it was a regular stopping off place for many of us. The centre one of the three Routiers, all in a row. I can’t just remember the name of the place at the moment ( Old Age ) but it was in between Chalons sur Soane. and Tournus. I do remember that photograph as well, I’m afraid your mate was right it was a Manchester United shirt. :smiley: Half an hour later, after a bit of head scratching, I think it was the Hotel de la Gare, Varennes le Grande.

Cheers, Archie.

Hi Archie it’s good to hear from you again :smiley: , it seems after all these years that the other drivers were right when they said " if you drink any more of that Pernod you won’t be able to remember anything in the morning " :slight_smile: .