Brown Knickers Moment

A driver has been rescued from the cab of a truck that was left dangling dramatically over the edge of a bridge in Louisville, Kentucky, after her vehicle crashed through a barrier.

The woman was unharmed, officials say. Video showed rescue workers descending to pull her out of the cab.

Attention now turns to how to remove the truck from its precarious position, as it hangs over the Ohio River.

[Kentucky: Woman rescued from truck dangling off bridge in Louisville - BBC News]

Sometimes we hear of “hanging over a precipice” etc…clickbait stuff…but…
Real…
Very happy no one was seriously hurt.

I saw that on the American forum last night, seemed to take a helluva long time to wind her in, was that gib not telescopic then, and if it wasn’t, how do they get it back on the fire engine? Perhaps too much weight with the 2 of them, gib only slides with one on board.

Yes, awkward to see how they got the ladder through the Bridge’s super structure. Even at it’s shortest length it looks difficult. A longer video would probably make it clearer.

I can’t imagine sitting there all that time hanging off just the 5th wheel. Horrible.

This video seems to show the escape ladder being retracted with the rescuer and driver both attached to lines suspended from it.

If it was wider angle it might be clearer but I think I see the ladder moving in some frames.

And this is the truck being recovered by wreckers afterwards.

Obviously (I would hope) the reccer crews would have calculated the weight they had to pull against the combined weight of the 2 reccers. I would hate to see whatever was snagging the trailer suddenly break free and pull the whole lot down.

Has anyone seen that tow in Norway on the edge of a long drop where the broken down truck slid over the edge and pulled the heavy duty reccer with it down into the valley? The reccer driver could be seen diving out of the cab at the last minute but the artic driver went down with everything else. Happily he survived with light injuries.

I was thinking along sort of. similar lines.
Initially (about 1min00 in 2nd vid) it appears that only one wrecker truck is attached to the artic, by the rear of the trailer. then over the next minute of the vid (it is cut and jumps about) a strop is slung under the trailer, and worked down to near the legs. That is then used to raise the front of the artic as the rear is swung around.

It looks to me that the unit is hanging there without any cables etc. No easy/safe way to attache to it anyway, I guess.

Holy moly!!! Is it any clearer as to what happened?

There was another vehicle involved in some sort of incident.
Maybe just a “common or garden RTA” with the truck “deviating off the road by a few feet”?

Hmm, still, the truck must have had some speed when it happened I imagine?

In one sense, unlucky not to have hit the bridge ironwork!
It appears those side rails wouldn’t hardly stop a car let alone a truck.

M-way sliders (none apparent there) are good if hit a glancing blow but attack them at a steep angle and it’s a different story. We had tables of the impact m-way slider could stand on a previous thread, for cars they were helpful, for trucks they were better than nowt, but only just.

Moving on from the brown knickers moment, here’s a pink knickers moment.

1 Like

Here are a few stills of different angles of the incident, plus the reason for the truck leaving the road.

The truck driver appears to have been completely blameless.

I’ll nip over and see if it is reported to American drivers.

Yes an electric car suddenly stopped and was rammed by a pick-up truck which caused the artic to crash off the bridge. A person in the pick-up was seriously injured.This is an interview with the driver of the electric car.

Given our conversation in another thread, I will repeat from earlier:
Imagine hanging there on just the 5th wheel.
Yuk.

Looks like it was only stopped from over by the diesel tank on the trailer.