British built trucks on continental work

Some great pictures on here

With thanks to Dave Mackie, here’s a few more.
Although the Bromilow pictures are not Daves, I found them on his website.
What evocative memories they stir.

atsb00250.jpg

atsb00377.jpg

atsb00251.jpg

This one’s borrowed from the Old Northamptonshire Companies thread.
Take a look at the axle/tyre configuration on the trailer.

TN049.jpg

A couple more from the same thread, again belonging to Monks.

TN032.jpg

A few more from Dave Mackie.

atsb00024.jpg

atsb00101.jpg

atsb00249.jpg

marathon on swiss french border

jonnie

I have just bumped this old thread up so you can see some “GUYS” on continental work

this do mate :wink:

In the early eighties I worked for Beresford’s of Stoke on Trent and we all had Seddon Atkinsons and ERFs,all with either 240 Gardners or Rolls eagle 265.I recall(maybe wrongly) there were two with Eagle 290s.We did regular Italy and Spain in them.Everyone tried to get past us on the dual carriageway before the left over the bridge and twisty bit before they built the new roads.We also had to go up Mt. Cerdon .They were not the quickest!!

I remember a firm from the North-East having bright yellow ERFs with 350 ■■■■■■■ and 13speed fullers that used to give the Italian Scania 140s a shock.I can’t remember the firm’s name but they used Concorezzo for customs in Milan.

PASTTRUCKING:
I was on top of Mt Cenis in the late 70s winding up the brakes on my trailer for the downward bends to Susa when a very old Akki stopped behind me, the only reason I remember is because he had either a false leg or foot, memory fades with the years, he had an Alison automatic gearbox from a bus, his bed was a few bulk packs of loo rolls, After a brew off we went, being the gentalman I am, I let him go first ( something to do with him not bothering to tighten his brakes on his trailer if I recall ) Now if you have not seen brake shoes burn you will not belive how much comes out, I stopped half way down to let it clear before I went around the hairpins, He was off to Saudi or somewhere like that.

We stopped at Susa did the paperwork and away he went into the sunset, sorry cannot recall his name, but did see him again sometime later in Basle so he made it to S.A. Ackkies could not have been that bad.

He had a false leg,met him sometimes in Carisio.He was driving an R310 then.I can’t remember his name either,good bloke though.

relluf:
In the early eighties I worked for Beresford’s of Stoke on Trent and we all had Seddon Atkinsons and ERFs,all with either 240 Gardners or Rolls eagle 265.I recall(maybe wrongly) there were two with Eagle 290s.We did regular Italy and Spain in them.Everyone tried to get past us on the dual carriageway before the left over the bridge and twisty bit before they built the new roads.We also had to go up Mt. Cerdon .They were not the quickest!!

Hi Relluf
Welcome to Trucknet. If you look at the earlier Stoke Hauliers thread I’ve posted quite a few Beresford photo’s from the early 80’s and have many more. I would be interested to hear if you knew any of the old drivers at that time.I enjoyed several trips away with Jack Kelly in his Scania 111 .

These were the early prototype KMs with the new then Detroit 6V 71 32ton LWB units ,Done mostly Marseille and Gerona
during 75/77.

MOC:
These were the early prototype KMs with the new then Detroit 6V 71 32ton LWB units ,Done mostly Marseille and Gerona
during 75/77.

Thats a shapely leg dangling down underneath the Volvo’s door!!!

MOC:
during 75/77.

Jeese i`ve seen it all now Bedford KMs on continental

ramone we used to run “Concorde” engines from Derby and wing sections from Preston to Toulouse in the late 60s with T K Bedford artics we also took Scammell Highwayman over the water as well.
cheers Johnnie

sammyopisite:
ramone we used to run “Concorde” engines from Derby and wing sections from Preston to Toulouse in the late 60s with T K Bedford artics we also took Scammell Highwayman over the water as well.
cheers Johnnie

Wasn`t a criticism Johnnie,just Bedfords in my opinion were more of a lightweight lorry

I did not read it as criticism more like astonishment but in the the late 60s and early 70s around 90% of british firms ran over with day cab british wagons it was a case of if it did the job it was used. :laughing: :wink:
cheers Johnnie
P S to us it was a new experience and adventure :laughing:

sammyopisite:
I did not read it as criticism more like astonishment but in the the late 60s and early 70s around 90% of british firms ran over with day cab british wagons it was a case of if it did the job it was used. :laughing: :wink:
cheers Johnnie
P S to us it was a new experience and adventure :laughing:

I didnt realise just how many companies were doing continental in the 60s and all the different motors they were using.Can you imagine the reply if you asked someone to go local in some of these motors on here let alone abroad today

.I crossed the border many times in a Bedford KM,never had any trouble.It was the Welsh English border :laughing: :laughing: