Brexit , borders and lorries

Franglais:
Whether or not Brexit is a good idea (spoiler alert: it’s not!) the Gov and it’s preparations are very lacking.
After years of repeated warnings from the cross party Public Accounts Committee they are still hiding their heads in the sand, paying private advisors, under funding civil service experts, and trying to pass the buck.
independent.co.uk/news/uk/p … 64669.html

“Pretending that things you don’t want to happen are not going to happen is not a recipe for government, it is a recipe for disaster," said Meg Hillier, the MP who chairs the committee.
We’re paying for that approach in the UK’s response to the Covid-19 pandemic and can only hope that we are not now facing another catastrophe, at the border in 4 weeks’ time."
You’ve got to admire the almost desperate optimism of the girl. Just trust your PM Meg, he’s in charge of a solid team and they know what they’re doing.

Brexit: UK turning itself into North Korea, says Ryanair boss
Speaking at an online event hosted by Eurocontrol, the boss of Europe’s biggest budget airline said he had been “entirely vindicated” in campaigning for Remain in the 2016 referendum.

“Brexit’s been a shambles,” he said. “The Johnson government has been completely exposed with their promises of an easy trade deal and the sunny uplands.

“It is one of the great economic disasters of the UK shooting itself in the foot.

“It’s a tragedy. If isolationism was the secret to economic success, North Korea would be the great economic engine of the western world. It isn’t.

“Isolationism is doomed to failure. We need the UK as part of the strong single market in Europe, and the single market would be much stronger with the UK as a member.

“But we are where we are and we just have to get on with it.”

At present neither Ryanair nor any other airline has permission to fly between the UK and the European Union from 1 January onwards.

Mr O’Leary was also asked by Andrew Charlton, the interviewer: “What is it you’re most worried about?”

The Ryanair chief executive surprised the audience by saying:

“I think the fact that I wasn’t invited to the Hungarian MEPs’ ■■■■ in Brussels.

“If I’d been asked what Eamonn Brennan [director-general of Eurocontrol] could do for me, get me a ticket for the next Brussels ■■■■. I’ve never been to one and I’d very much like to join in.”

Eurocontrol is based in Brussels.

There is no suggestion that any of its staff were involved in the unauthorised event in the Belgian capital.

The Independent understands that social-distancing protocols do not appear to have been followed at the ■■■■.

How do i get an invite to an ■■■■ ■■- asking for a friend …

OwenMoney:
Speaking at an online event hosted by Eurocontrol, the boss of Europe’s biggest budget airline said he had been “entirely vindicated” in campaigning for Remain in the 2016 referendum.

“Brexit’s been a shambles,” he said. “The Johnson government has been completely exposed with their promises of an easy trade deal and the sunny uplands.

“It is one of the great economic disasters of the UK shooting itself in the foot.

“It’s a tragedy. If isolationism was the secret to economic success, North Korea would be the great economic engine of the western world. It isn’t.

“Isolationism is doomed to failure. We need the UK as part of the strong single market in Europe, and the single market would be much stronger with the UK as a member.

At present neither Ryanair nor any other airline has permission to fly between the UK and the European Union from 1 January onwards.

Mr O’Leary was also asked by Andrew Charlton, the interviewer: “What is it you’re most worried about?”

“I think the fact that I wasn’t invited to the Hungarian MEPs’ ■■■■ in Brussels.

“If I’d been asked what Eamonn Brennan [director-general of Eurocontrol] could do for me, get me a ticket for the next Brussels ■■■■. I’ve never been to one and I’d very much like to join in.”

There is no suggestion that any of its staff were involved in the unauthorised event in the Belgian capital.

The Independent understands that social-distancing protocols do not appear to have been followed at the ■■■■.

I cant believe nobody has brought this up yet… :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

OwenMoney:

What right has that money sucking leach got telling the uk gov what to do when he’s not even a British subject [emoji49][emoji49][emoji49][emoji49]
He’s only worried his cake is disappearing fast and he can’t eat it

Sent from my truck

Back on the fish :-

Discussions in the pub yesterday in Penzance involved a few fishermen & revolved around how certain species were missing from our waters.

The winter Mackerel that provide a living for the handliners in smaller boats have not arrived this year, they reckon the Irish Ring netters have been catching them before they can swim further East and so some of the boys have tied their boats up & are working as builders etc. till things pick up.

Conversly, for those with the right gear the Pilchards are almost jumping into the boats, just waiting to be caught in vast quantities.

Fish do not respect any boundaries they go where they want as do the whales & dolphins chasing them for a meal too!!

Winseer:

lancpudn:
BMW have announced today that the majority of their models will carry a £3000 custom duty related increase from January 1st 2021. :open_mouth: fleetnews.co.uk/news/manufa … trade-deal

So the sensible thing to do, you’d think is “stop buying BMWs”…

What’s so bloody good about them anyways? :unamused:

Exactly,pompous ego extensions.Give me a SAAB any day.

There was an awful amount of people in the uk who could not afford a bmw so do you think an extra 3 grand bothers them in the slightest ?

Brexit: PM says ‘sweet reason’ can get UK and EU to trade deal

OwenMoney:

What happened to the “oven ready deal”■■

whisperingsmith:

Discussions in the pub yesterday in Penzance involved a few fishermen & revolved around how certain species were missing from our waters.

The winter Mackerel that provide a living for the handliners in smaller boats have not arrived this year, they reckon the Irish Ring netters have been catching them before they can swim further East and so some of the boys have tied their boats up & are working as builders etc. till things pick up.

Conversly, for those with the right gear the Pilchards are almost jumping into the boats, just waiting to be caught in vast quantities.

Fish do not respect any boundaries they go where they want as do the whales & dolphins chasing them for a meal too!!

bbc.com/news/52420116 - From the bbc reality check showing who really owns the fishing quotas

OwenMoney:

We hold all the cards…
Easiest deal…
Oven ready…
Failure of statecraft…
Frictionless trade…
Dead in a ditch…
Another little phrase to treasure.

OwenMoney:

whisperingsmith:

bbc.com/news/52420116 - From the bbc reality check showing who really owns the fishing quotas

Oh dear… oh dear oh dear.

So let me get this right. We socked off what’s left of our manufacturing industry (also known as cars), and have given away the money making financial services to Europe, for what?
A few gaily painted boats in Cornwall and Humberside??

Bravo.

Bravo

Franglais:

OwenMoney:

We hold all the cards…
Easiest deal…
Oven ready…
Failure of statecraft…
Frictionless trade…
Dead in a ditch…

You forgot the £350 million for the NHS (a week mind).

Oh, and they need us more than we need them…

manalishi:

Winseer:

lancpudn:
BMW have announced today that the majority of their models will carry a £3000 custom duty related increase from January 1st 2021. :open_mouth: fleetnews.co.uk/news/manufa … trade-deal

So the sensible thing to do, you’d think is “stop buying BMWs”…

What’s so bloody good about them anyways? :unamused:

Exactly,pompous ego extensions.Give me a SAAB any day.

Intrigued to know where you’d buy an brand new Saab from

Franglais:

OwenMoney:

We hold all the cards…
Easiest deal…
Oven ready…
Failure of statecraft…
Frictionless trade…
Dead in a ditch…

“prosper mightily”
“sunlight uplands”
“unicorns and rainbows”
“crumpets for tea”

After the Lords vetoed the law breaking Internal Trade bill, Gove has now agreed not to put it back.
bbc.co.uk/news/amp/uk-politics-55229681
Now the Lords are worried about allowing future trade deals undermining the NHS. The Gov seem to be saying
“Trust us”…
mirror.co.uk/news/politics/ … e-23133312
Daresay the Brexit and ERG backers will be unhappy.
Even if you trust this particular Gov (!) do you trust every Gov that will be elected in the future?
We need protection for food standards and especially for the NHS written into law.
No trade deal is worth compromising what we have.

Remember Jim Ratcliffe?
Boss of Ineos, said he’d produce a new Land Rover Defender in Bridgend?
Well this vocal Brexiteer has buggered off to Monaco himself, and decided to built the new Landy in the EU.
Edit link
theguardian.com/business/20 … -in-france

Spin.
The Express has a story on a fantastic trade deal between the Iceland Norway and the UK.
Other outlets say it secures 90 or 95% continuity for tariff free goods.
So the Express hails a 5% loss as a victory?
Shock!
How many more successes can Liz Truss make? How many can we afford?

Brexit ending up “No Deal” threatens to weaken the pound vs the Euro some more…
This would be an utter disaster upon disaster for the EU, who even if they decided NOT to impose Tariffs on UK stuff sold there, or EU food being sold here - people will simply go off buying EU imports because they are now too expensive, and are going to remain that expensive.

For a No Deal Brexit to succeed, the UK needs to be prepared to stop trading with the EU outright, or when and where the EU can actually halt cross-channel trade, simply because they are unable and unwilling to end it overnight even now at the 11th hour.

My guess is that Eastern European countries in particular, will continue sending trucks over here with stuff on, which the UK will continue to buy, refuse to pay any EU-imposed tariffs for doing thus, whilst attempts by the EU to impose tariffs upon the hapless EE trucking firm - will fall flat, as there’s no more meat to be cut off that particular bone…

Are our new improved trade routes with the rest of the world ready? My observation is that they are getting there.

Most things, in particular foodstuffs - currently imported from the EU and it’s member states - can be re-sourced from elsewhere, if they have not already done so.
Expect a marked increase in Meat from the commonwealth nations, Citrus from South America, Dairy from Scandinavia, Vegetables from the “looser” EU members like Turkey…
THAT is assuming we cannot ever become self-sufficient in anything there, of course…

When Sterling is shorted, it gets shorted against the Euro primarily. This in turn pushes up the price of Euros to an inflated level that makes their woeful unemployed masses hunger for a cheaper exchange rate to kick-start their economy again… But the ECB want a strong Euro to punish the UK, so tough luck EU farmers - You’ve priced everyone ELSE out of your own markets, and you wonder why there is now a glut of food you cannot possibly eat yourselves, and isn’t even coming down in price so people don’t starve nor waste it in due course…

No Deal Britain meanwhile, is free to make any deals it likes, pick and choose which produce at what prices from whatever countries - is worthy for our platters back here in blighty.
“Free Trade Zone UK” - How about it?

Once we’ve left, - others will follow.

OwenMoney:

That’s funny. That’s really, really funny.