"Barnsley and Beyond" Model Trucking Through The Decades

Fantastic once again Fodenway! Thanks for sharing. A new one on me Hinchcliff’s, great to see :slight_smile:

I have started work on a much larger 1966 Albion Super Clydesdale in Fearns livery. 1/24th scale, still cleaning up the castings for now but here is the real thing.

Fearns, a good choice. I built one of their red-liveried Volvo F88 tractors some while back. I will have a look for it and post a picture. I knew a couple of their drivers, Alan and Eric Bartholomew, back in the day. Fearns had some nice motors over the years, and they also had coaches at one time.

holydiver:
Fantastic once again Fodenway! Thanks for sharing. A new one on me Hinchcliff’s, great to see :slight_smile:

I have started work on a much larger 1966 Albion Super Clydesdale in Fearns livery. 1/24th scale, still cleaning up the castings for now but here is the real thing.

Hinchcliffes had a quarry near Bakewell,I used to see them regularly as a kid when i lived near there. Here’s a pic of one of their Albion 4-wheelers on the old bridge at Calver,on the A623.That bridge got clattered many times until a new one were built.

calver.jpg

fodenway:
“Where do you want this steel?” - Harrison’s Highwayman finished at last, 1/76 scale.

superb :smiley: and the real-life one’s are all up for sale!

Thought i’d post a small update.
My current build is coming along nicely , i’m working in the larger 1/24th scale now for a while so I can really go to town when it comes to detail. This resin Ergomatic kit has received a scratch built chassis, engine and lots of detailing form air piping to a wiring loom. Still lots more to do! This will be an Albion Super Clydesdale with a 28ft York trailer, Fearns Transport.

One of my 1/48th models was recently featured in a new magazine, Model Truck World. I always hoped to have a model in the original Truck Model World back when I was a kid and I used to read them regularly. Many years later, I’ve managed to feature in issue one of the new magazine. I decided to feature my Trowbridge AEC Mandator for the first write up. I’m happy with how this model turned out and the trailer was my first proper attempt at scratch building.

is this new Truck model magazine on sale in the ‘usual’ places? i ask because my favourite motorcycle mag is posted as it is rarely spotted on general sale.

Hi Carryfast, it’s available in WH Smiths and Mccolls mostly, your local newsagent should get it no problem, last time I went into my local one they had it on the shelf.

holydiver:
Hi Carryfast, it’s available in WH Smiths and Mccolls mostly, your local newsagent should get it no problem, last time I went into my local one they had it on the shelf.

thanks mate :slight_smile:

@ holydiver @ fodenway

Somewhere up the thread one or both of you mentioned “dioramas”, which put me in mind of a chap I follow on Flickr who goes by the name of Kingsway John

flickr.com/photos/kingswayjohn/

AFAIK he makes all the dioramas himself, often from scratch. He’s from Buxton and I thought this might be of interest to you.

ParkRoyal2100:
@ holydiver @ fodenway

Somewhere up the thread one or both of you mentioned “dioramas”, which put me in mind of a chap I follow on Flickr who goes by the name of Kingsway John

flickr.com/photos/kingswayjohn/

AFAIK he makes all the dioramas himself, often from scratch. He’s from Buxton and I thought this might be of interest to you.

Thank you very much for the link, great stuff

I’ve seen this chaps work on other forums, very well made.

1/24th scale Albion Super Clydesdale - Fearns Transport

After 6 months my latest model is complete, a lovely Albion Super Clydesdale of Fearns transport in Barnsley. This particular Ergo was mainly used on steel work and ran with a single axle York trailer.
This started out as a resin transkit which I scratch built a chassis and drivetrain for. So many little details I could not start to mention all of them. A lot of detailing for this much larger model, the first 1/24th scale in my Barnsley builds. Reference came from a service manual and spare parts book which helped me recreate a lot of the finer details like the complex air piping. A scratch built engine and gearbox despite being hidden under the cab. Wiring loom for the chassis, mud under the wheel arches and a wooden tray for spare chain, rope and wooden blocks. The interior received some extra details in the form of a blanket on the engine cover thanks to a dolls house table cloth. I hand drew an invoice for the dashboard and the trailer number plate is sat on the engine cover awaiting it’s next job. The Albion has been weathered carefully, mostly to the chassis with the cab almost brand new. Nearly all my reference photos of this 1966 registered Albion show it in brand new condition so I decided to make the model look like it was still in it’s first year of service. I decided to leave this as a tractor unit, parked up between work at the firm’s yard in Dodworth, Barnsley. I’ll eventually park it on a concrete base. This was quite a big project but i’m happy with how it turned out. The traditional green and red livery suits pretty much anything from this period and I think Fearn had a great look with such a varied fleet of lorries over the years.
I hope you enjoy the photographs, my next update may be a long way off as my next model of this scale will be even more detailed!

6.JPG

That is absolutely superb holydiver! :slight_smile:

A beautiful job young man! Well done, keep 'em coming.

Some great models on here. :wink:

Love that Albion, absolutely stunning, you have great skills :wink:

Thank you for the kind words everyone

Ashley Jackson the landscape artist used to sign write for Fearn’s

As discussed holydiver here’s a bit on Myatts of Cudworth,Barnsley. :wink:

Click on pages twice to read.

GTHOMPSON:
Ashley Jackson the landscape artist used to sign write for Fearn’s

Never knew that :slight_smile: great stuff