At least its not the drivers fault this time?

Franglais:
Something Ive only rarely encountered. If you say it isnt so rare, I stand corrected.

To be fair if you’ve a UK specced lorry with it’s fifth wheel plate at least 6 inches higher than the rest of Europe’s it’s unlikely to happen to often

Franglais:
Jost say the standard 5th wheel is rated at 150,000lbs of tractive pull. That`s about 68 tons. As I said you could hang a fully loaded trailer off it.

It’s not a tractive pull.It’s being torn out vertically from below in an arc between the steer axle being lifted and the front of the jammed, run out of forward articulation, fifth wheel turntable, acting as a fulcrum point.
Which part of lift an artic off the ground by its steer axle and trailer axles didn’t you understand.

Franglais:
Jost say the standard 5th wheel is rated at 150,000lbs of tractive pull. That`s about 68 tons. As I said you could hang a fully loaded trailer off it.

Edit That ain’t a ‘tractive pull’.HTH.

Carryfast:

Franglais:

Oooooo, a Carryfast Original illustration. Keep safe for that will be worth a fortune on your death

Carryfast:

Franglais:

It’s a tank. There is no body in front of the rubbing plate.
It’s on a road with a gradient. Not on a 4x4 proving ground.
It is rusted to buggery.
No need to invent a complicated conspiracy story to explain what has happened…
Oh…It’s you…
.Edit to add
The previous link also says the 5th wheel is designed for at least 50,000lb or 23ton of vertical load.
Even if the trailer neck was wedged down onto the cat walk or chassis…

switchlogic:

Carryfast:

Franglais:

Oooooo, a Carryfast Original illustration. Keep safe for that will be worth a fortune on your death

They say a picture is worth 1000 words, so here’s fingers crossed for more pictures from Carryfast eh ? :wink: :laughing:

Regards John.

switchlogic:

Carryfast:

The go to reference for decades to come in the event of pins being inexplicably torn out of trailers because the hill was too steep.There’s no signature so no way of proving fakes in the future. :laughing:

Franglais:

Carryfast:

Franglais:

It is rusted to buggery.
Oh…It’s you…

It’s got nothing to do with the bleedin body connecting with anything.
The TURNTABLE attached to the unit chassis has torn the pin out of the trailer because the the TURNTABLE can’t tilt forward any further to comply with the angle of the unit.
Yes it’s exaggerated in the drawing but the turntable doesn’t have much articulation so no need for for a 1 : 3 hill.

Franglais:

Carryfast:

Franglais:

It is rusted to buggery.
Oh…It’s you…

Its rusted off because its on a corrosive tank, every time they spill a litre of acid whilst loading, it runs down and gathers in the rubbing plate, if they wash out it swills it away, eventually, like now it will need replacing, they have missed that on inspection. Not something a driver would be expected to pick up unless he had that trailer all the time.

Chinese Pin.jpg

Wheel Nut:
Its rusted off

There’s obviously corrosion involved to some degree no argument.Whether that means ‘rusted off’ is another question.
Buy why is the turntable at that angle and what’s stopping it returning to its usual un coupled position.

Carryfast:

Wheel Nut:
Its rusted off

There’s obviously corrosion involved to some degree no argument.Whether that means ‘rusted off’ is another question.
Buy why is the turntable at that angle and what’s stopping it returning to its usual un coupled position.

Carryfast, you’re doing it again. You get one piece of the puzzle, and proclaim it the be all and end all, and doggedly refuse to accept anything else.

If you look at the angle of the trailer, and at the line that the unit would have taken around the corner, the unit would have roughly been a unit length back from where it is now, when the trailer broke free (hence the bend release handle). At that position, the angle of the trailer relative to the unit, would not have been that extreme, but crucially, most of the force on the pin would have been exerted by the trailer being pulled around tightly and uphill, combining in a force which the rusted kingpin mounting could not cope with.
So,yes, it was the force imposed on the kingpin by the angle relative to the unit/fifth wheel, but not at the angle you keep banging on about.

Oh, and I can also explain why the fifth wheel is not returning to it’s normal angle. Because theres a rather heavy kingpin and mounting plate stuck in it, in front of the hinge point. You are welcome.

the nodding donkey:

Carryfast:

Wheel Nut:
Its rusted off

Carryfast, you’re doing it again. You get one piece of the puzzle, and proclaim it the be all and end all, and doggedly refuse to accept anything else.

If you look at the angle of the trailer, and at the line that the unit would have taken around the corner, the unit would have roughly been a unit length back from where it is now, when the trailer broke free (hence the bend release handle). At that position, the angle of the trailer relative to the unit, would not have been that extreme, but crucially, most of the force on the pin would have been exerted by the trailer being pulled around tightly and uphill, combining in a force which the rusted kingpin mounting could not cope with.
So,yes, it was the force imposed on the kingpin by the angle relative to the unit/fifth wheel, but not at the angle you keep banging on about.

Oh, and I can also explain why the fifth wheel is not returning to it’s normal angle. Because theres a rather heavy kingpin and mounting plate stuck in it, in front of the hinge point. You are welcome.

I reckon you’re pretty much on the money ND, although you could have been more succinct by merely typing “You’re talking through your fundamental, Carry on.”

Does anyone think we might have Banksy on this forum producing masterpieces like this?

Carryfast Art.jpg

How steep was the hill again? :astonished: :open_mouth: :laughing:

the nodding donkey:

Fair enough I get it.

So it all depends on the weight and point of balance of those v the turntable v the difference in gradient before and after the hairpin.That’s a ’ finely balanced’ argument. :wink:

Carryfast:

the nodding donkey:

Fair enough I get it.

So it all depends on the weight and point of balance of those v the turntable v the difference in gradient before and after the hairpin.That’s a ’ finely balanced’ argument. :wink:

Indeed. And in this case, the main culprit was the sideways force that the trailer imposed on the kingpin, and certainly not helped by the force/stress imposed on the pin by the different angles because of the gradient. But ultimately, it would have been the corroded state of the kingpin mounting plate, that gave way, and caused this situation.

So not sure who Geoffrey will make of this one, no hills or force of nature [emoji12]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He is doing his reconstruction in Euro Truck Simulator as I speak. Standby standby.