Any advanced drivers?

Rowley010:
It’s the same system that police and paramedics have to drive to for them to be allowed to drive on blue lights and they have very few accidents, which shows it’s a much higher standard of driving and observation than most.

So what relavance has that type of training for guys like us driving a 44 tonner down the M6 everyday doing mundane deliveries?..unless of course you are a part time fireman (or even a fantasist wannabe copper :unamused: )
Why would I want to learn to drive to emergency services grade, how exactly would that make me a better driver exactly?

I know a lad who was on Close protection duty in the army.
His advanced driving course involved avoiding terrorist activity, abductions in traffic, general defensive driving in tricky dangerous scenarios.
He once showed me how to do a high speed long distance handbrake turn in reverse …which was a bit hairy :smiley:
Reckon that has as much relavance to our job as a Police course, …but much more fun. :smiley:

Our place are looking at putting us all thru the advanced driver course…
[emoji2369][emoji2369][emoji2369]

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

robroy:

Rowley010:
It’s the same system that police and paramedics have to drive to for them to be allowed to drive on blue lights and they have very few accidents, which shows it’s a much higher standard of driving and observation than most.

So what relavance has that type of training for guys like us driving a 44 tonner down the M6 everyday doing mundane deliveries?..unless of course you are a part time fireman (or even a fantasist wannabe copper :unamused: )
Why would I want to learn to drive to emergency services grade, how exactly would that make me a better driver exactly?

His advanced driving course involved avoiding terrorist activity, abductions in traffic, general defensive driving in tricky dangerous scenarios.
He once showed me how to do a high speed long distance handbrake turn in reverse …which was a bit hairy :smiley:
Reckon that has as much relavance to our job as a Police course, …but much more fun. :smiley:

So what relavance has that type of training for guys like us driving a 44 tonner down the M6 everyday doing mundane deliveries?..

There is little relevance. Apart from probably making you more aware it’s a completely different kind of driving.

Suppose it can always come in handy in a " my dad’s better than your dad" argument.[emoji848]

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

joeshell:
Rog,im probably making an assumption here thats totally wrong,but,does Rog equate to roger,and if so,were you the Roger that put the Shell Jarrow drivers through the iAM course circa 1990 ish?

Not me

truckertang:
Our place are looking at putting us all thru the advanced driver course…

Magic - if its free go for it even if it just affirms what you think your ability is

If all drivers had to have someone assess their driving every so often then it would at least make them think about their own standards

Why not make it count towards the DCPC or would that be too sensible.

DF40:

robroy:

Rowley010:

So what relavance has that type of training for guys like us driving a 44 tonner down the M6 everyday doing mundane deliveries?..

There is little relevance. Apart from probably making you more aware it’s a completely different kind of driving.

Suppose it can always come in handy in a " my dad’s better than your dad" argument.[emoji848]

That’s where you are completely wrong. It’s drivers like yourself that think they don’t need any advice are usually the ones that need it most.
Have you noticed the trend? All who have participated have found it beneficial and those that haven’t think it’s tosh and not relevant to them. :unamused:

You believe standards on the M6 are fine?

alamcculloch:

Yeah, would be great but you would still get the ones who would fall asleep and say it’s a load of bo licks.

robroy:

Rowley010:

The relevance is that for them to drive on blue lights it’s a far superior level of observation and hazard perception and planning compared to your normal driver. It’s about smoothness throughout those hazards which come from the observation and planning phase. Of course as HGV drivers we’ve developed some of those extra observation and planning skills without the training but the advanced driving still takes it a step further than most think they can.

But then forget HGVs for a moment, take the skills and apply it to your car driving and you’ll get the best out of your vehicle in a safe way, whist probably reducing maintenance costs and insurance costs.

jakethesnake:

DF40:

robroy:

Rowley010:

That’s where you are completely wrong. It’s drivers like yourself that think they don’t need any advice are usually the ones that need it most.
Have you noticed the trend? All who have participated have found it beneficial and those that haven’t think it’s tosh and not relevant to them. :unamused:

You believe standards on the M6 are fine?

Too Easy

jakethesnake:

alamcculloch:

Yeah, would be great but you would still get the ones who would fall asleep and say it’s a load of bo licks.

Exactly. You’d still have to make it pass or fail which means anyone who thinks it’s a load of ■■■■■■■■ and they’ve nothing left to learn are probably the ones who would actually benefit most, they are the ones who wouldn’t choose it as a module as you could fail it.

Rowley010:

robroy:

Rowley010:

The relevance is that for them to drive on blue lights it’s a far superior level of observation and hazard perception and planning compared to your normal driver. It’s about smoothness throughout those hazards which come from the observation and planning phase. Of course as HGV drivers we’ve developed some of those extra observation and planning skills without the training but the advanced driving still takes it a step further than most think they can.

But then forget HGVs for a moment, take the skills and apply it to your car driving and you’ll get the best out of your vehicle in a safe way, whist probably reducing maintenance costs and insurance costs.

Hmmm ok. :neutral_face:
The jury is out on the last bit, and we’ll agree to differ on the first.

Look I aint saying that it’s all pointless ■■■■■■■■ or anything like that, I’m just saying it aint for me as I do not feel the need to do it, nor prove it to myself that I can.
Now whether I actually NEED any improvements on the stuff you list aint for me to say, that is open to opinion by others who know me and my style (or maybe lack of style, who knows :laughing: ) of driving, so is for them to say.
On the other hand whether I need to learn how to drive like an ambulance driver IS for me to say. :bulb:
‘‘I don’t’’ …and all your points to the contrary, and Jakey telling everybody that their opinions are wrong, and his are right won’t change my take on that.

You are missing the point again I feel.

Rowley010:
The relevance is that for them to drive on blue lights it’s a far superior level of observation and hazard perception and planning compared to your normal driver. It’s about smoothness throughout those hazards

Except for…

This brain dead blues and twos hero.

youtube.com/watch?v=RLyyG1zwItA

Superior levels of observation and hazard perception you say?

The point I was trying to make was if the fact you do advanced driving like all emergency services do. It ain’t going to make you a better driver than those that drive 44 t for a living. Majority would really struggle. However their awareness / perception should be better. This isn’t always the case.
And as I was told on first day of advanced training ,those that proclaim to be great drivers & better than everyone else… usually aren’t.

Eh Jake■■?

yourhavingalarf:

Rowley010:
The relevance is that for them to drive on blue lights it’s a far superior level of observation and hazard perception and planning compared to your normal driver. It’s about smoothness throughout those hazards

Except for…

This brain dead blues and twos hero.

youtube.com/watch?v=RLyyG1zwItA

Superior levels of observation and hazard perception you say?

Hardly brain dead is it :unamused: He made a small mistake like I’m guessing you never do?

robroy:

Rowley010:

robroy:

Rowley010:

Hmmm ok. :neutral_face:
The jury is out on the last bit, and we’ll agree to differ on the first.

Look I aint saying that it’s all pointless ■■■■■■■■ or anything like that, I’m just saying it aint for me as I do not feel the need to do it, nor prove it to myself that I can.
Now whether I actually NEED any improvements on the stuff you list aint for me to say, that is open to opinion by others who know me and my style (or maybe lack of style, who knows :laughing: ) of driving, so is for them to say.
On the other hand whether I need to learn how to drive like an ambulance driver IS for me to say. :bulb:
‘‘I don’t’’ …and all your points to the contrary, and Jakey telling everybody that their opinions are wrong, and his are right won’t change my take on that.

Rob I’m not saying you need to learn to to drive like an ambulance driver on blues. The point I’m making that the standard of driving they make them do to give them their ticket to drive on blues is very high. The “civilian” advanced driving groups teach exactly the same system of control, observation and planning as they do for those drivers, only difference is you obviously don’t get the exemptions. This can only make you a better and safer driver. As said, HGV and PCV drivers will have often developed a lot of this subconsciously without training but there’s always more to learn.

Don’t quote…

‘Superior levels of obversation and perception’ when the hazard trained hero we can drive in any situation advanced police car super patrol driver couldn’t… fit a family car through an everyday space. :unamused:

yourhavingalarf:
Don’t quote…

‘Superior levels of obversation and perception’ when the hazard trained hero we can drive in any situation advanced police car super patrol driver couldn’t… fit a family car through an everyday space. :unamused:

I’m not saying they still can’t make mistakes :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: minor one at that

DF40:
The point I was trying to make was if the fact you do advanced driving like all emergency services do. It ain’t going to make you a better driver than those that drive 44 t for a living. Majority would really struggle. However their awareness / perception should be better. This isn’t always the case.
And as I was told on first day of advanced training ,those that proclaim to be great drivers & better than everyone else… usually aren’t.

Eh Jake■■?

Look advanced driving and defensive driving is not just about emergency vehicle driving. That is only a small part and for most lorry drivers not actually required.Why do you say most would struggle?

FYI I have been assessed and passed more tests than I can remember so I know my own level. I was also a fully qualified Instructor and Examiner for a few years.