Any advanced drivers?

One thing everyone seems to have missed out. If you have an advanced license and are caught speeding, you have no option of the speed awareness course. Points and fine only.

Nite Owl:
One thing everyone seems to have missed out. If you have an advanced license and are caught speeding, you have no option of the speed awareness course. Points and fine only.

No such thing as an advanced driving licence - only a certificate which is not listed on the DVLA database

Local COOP depot offered their LGV drivers an IAM course which many took up
I went out with all those that took up the offer
They arranged a delivery run out starting about 9am and finishing about 2pm
Out bound I advised on what was needed - in bound I did a pre test assessment
Every one was put in for test after that drive
Police examiner tested them on a saturday morning for 1.5 hours
All passed first time

ROG:
With general regards to LGV drivers the advanced proves easily to pass because they already have most of the skills necessary - average 1.2 drives prior to test
Most car drivers on the other hand … 5.6 drives prior to test

I know this because I was a senior IAM observer for 18+ years

I agree with what you say about the IAM ,
Many and I mean many LGV Drivers would be better going on a Defensive Driving Training Course they would learn a great deal more about their style of driving.
I don`t know if any of the big name manufacturers still run vehicle training courses designed for Companies when they renewed their fleet, I know Scania did at one time,it showed how to get the best out of a motor. along with DDT course my driving improved

No such thing as an advanced driving licence - only a certificate which is not listed on the DVLA database

Exactly. Chocolate Fireguards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rowley010:
the ones who say it’s a waste of time are the ones who think they are the best driver ever since passing their car test and think after passing the L test there is nothing left to learn and most probably do dangerous manoeuvres and probably don’t know how to drive properly on a motorway.

Bit of a generalisation/sweeping statement there mate. :neutral_face:
To be fair I did stress that I do not profess to be any better a driver than anybody else.
As for dangerous manouvres? No, …I don’t do them either…well deffo not intentionally anyway, and I can say without any fear of contradiction that I’ve sussed how to drive properly and safely on a motorway, …

You are more than likely right, maybe I would learn something new, but as I have managed well enough without it thanks, for the last God knows how many years, what’s the point exactly??
If that sounds arrogant, can’t help that, it’s just my opinion.

After losing so much interest in the job over the years I simply could not be arsed nor raise the enthusiasm to attend…the same reason why I avoid ■■■■ truck shows like head injuries. :laughing: )

Now on the other hand, I’m all for some of the ■■■■ retards who can not drive trucks who cut in on you, or leave you hanging in the middle lane, and who do not know there’s a difference between driving a truck and a car who we have the misfortune to share the road with, doing one of those courses, but just leave me out of it eh?
As Sammy says ‘‘Better things to do with my time off’’ :smiley:

jakethesnake:

Mazzer2:

jakethesnake:
However the bad drivers are in a minority hence the thousands of safe deliveries made every day

That is your opinion and you may well be right however just because a driver makes a safe delivery does not necessarily mean he has driven safely.

Ok then arrived there without wreaking carnage you know exactly what I mean but because ROG has put up a stat that doesn’t suit your point of view you think it can’t be right. Next time you’re out in the road take your blinkers off and see how many accidents are averted by HGV drivers taking evasive action from idiots in cars if I so wished I could probably write off 3 or 4 cars a day and not be in the wrong yet I don’t and neither do thousands of other drivers

Really, I can’t with honestly say I see that happen very often. If an LGV driver has to take evasive action the chances are he has not planned ahead and probably not kept a safe distance in my opinion.

LOL I knew you reply would be to blame the HGV driver and bring up driving to close so here are the last two examples where I took action to avoid crushing a car in the last few days.

1. Overtaking a car on the M6 Sunday morning southbound as I’m halfway past him he decides to veer into my lane luckily the outside lane is empty and I can use that.
  2. Heading to Wisbech car decides to try and overtake me on the drivers side going round a roundabout despite there being no room to do so, stop to avoid hitting him.

Again I know this fit in with your narrative of us all being useless slobs I notice that even on the thread where Jeremy Vine compliments a driver you still manage to put a negative comment

Don’t you get cheaper car insurance if you have passed an advanced course?
And also yes you might learn something from doing an advanced course

But it’s like when you take your test your taught how to drive the correct way. But once you have the paper to say you’ve passed. You can drive how you want to.

I did the advanced test because I had an idea to become a driving instructor, I soon realised I wasn’t cut out for that job.
I wasn’t that difficult, you have to keep moving briskly, and use the second lane if that means making progress, you’re allowed up to six minors.

edd1974:
Don’t you get cheaper car insurance if you have passed an advanced course?
And also yes you might learn something from doing an advanced course

But it’s like when you take your test your taught how to drive the correct way. But once you have the paper to say you’ve passed. You can drive how you want to.

Cheaper car Insurance in a word NO Cornfield or Cornmarket whatever in NI profess to give IAM Members cheaper Insurance they don`t,not in my case I got cheaper else where.
All depends who is offering discounts and what the original quote would have been before it.
I cancelled my IAM Membership when I retired.

Well i do not hold any advanced driving certificates but did consider it some years ago, and yes it may well be a good thing to do and could reduce your motor insurance. Driving standards have gone downhill nowadays, too many idiots on roads and too many causing accidents! no such thing as an accident not in the truest sense as everything which happens in life has a cause and effect. Now the average car driver can definitely do with some more refreshing on there driving habits and also benefit from some advanced driving lessons no doubt but will they ever consider it? NO…simply because they will feel mostly that there driving is fine and will be unwilling to pay for additional training. Hey we all sick and tired of rising cost! that is rising costs through GREED!

Now for some light humor…we truckers are already advanced drivers are we not? we taught defensive driving, anticipation, planning with forward vision and keeping eyes ahead of the work, hazard anticipation with awareness and alertness of any and most, possible scenarios. Well obviously a lot of this comes with experience. We truckers are suppose to be professional drivers :smiley:

Well I say for me that is, my driving is professional hooligan… :laughing: this has took me years of self training, years of self regulation and years of a few mistakes here n there, learning all the time trying to better myself to keep cool and calm behind the wheel…haha

In fact because I’m from the 70’s and seen and grown up with all sorts of cars, slow and fast (fast fords etc MK2 ■■■■■■ my love! :slight_smile: ) would really like to take some rally lessons! Why? because personally excitement and fun is missing from today’s driving.

Advanced driving test is not designed to help a potential driving instructor as it is not based on the DVSA system but it based on the roadcraft one

Advanced driving includes all defensive driving but defensive driving does not include advanced driving

Did my advanced with a friend of a mate after he did few ride alongs with us doing road rally planning .
I found doing the commentary the hardest part of the whole thing .
It was available at a discount so I just did it .
I was 23 at the time and very involved in motorsport so anything that increased my skills was worthwhile.
The security company that I worked for a little later put us on a couple of evasion and anti kidnap/ hijack courses which were fun .
Some of the tricks learned from short circuit racing crossed over into the latter courses .
All the stuff drummed into me about reading the road and looking ahead , planning and anticipation has saved my life and many others over the years .
The biggest thing that I have learned ? A sudden dust or smoke cloud usually means that somebody’s day has just turned bad .
Learning to overcome instinct with correct reactions does take tuition and practice.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Sploom:
I did the advanced test because I had an idea to become a driving instructor, I soon realised I wasn’t cut out for that job.
I wasn’t that difficult, you have to keep moving briskly, and use the second lane if that means making progress, you’re allowed up to six minors.

Does not sound like a civilian course? Are we talking military?

Rowley010:
Check out chris Gilbert or reg local amongst others on YouTube. Both ex police advanced driving instructors. Even just watching some of their free videos you’ll see it’s interesting, that you could potentially learn something, and it’s not just some geeky thing where people want to go and be judgmental on others. Any one who’s interested in driving and you’d assume most professional drivers are, should check it out. Your taught how to get the best out of your car whilst also reducing maintenance cost and being a safer driver at the same time, and maybe get reduced insurance. So it’s win win all round really. It’s a more relaxed way of driving whilst making maximum progress so there’s plenty of fun in there as well on a twisty A or B road.

I like your attitude Rowley. You seem to understand what it’s all about. Just a pity there were not more with the same thought process.

I have done many courses over the years including defensive driving (various courses including a 2 week skid instructors course which was fun but taught an awful lot) and have enjoyed most of them.
Yes you get the odd person who thinks they know it all (instructors and trainees) but they usually get their comeuppance at some point. :laughing:

I have also done a lot of training with the police including the motorcycle course which has all greatly helped to make me a better more professional driver over the years.

jakethesnake:
I have also done a lot of training with the police including the motorcycle course which has all greatly helped to make me a better more professional driver over the years.

This one…

Didn’t get the memo.

youtube.com/watch?v=nGMHFL3Q_LM

Passed the Advanced Driving test in about 1996 (car)
Did it through the local Institute of Advanced Motorists group. Had about 3/4 one hour sessions with an observer then went on to a “senior observer” who put me up for the test with a qualified police trainer / driver.
Test was a 90 minute drive on various road types and conditions ( definitely no commentary) then a brief question and answer on the Highway code and that was that.
I certainly think it improved my driving.
A couple of months after passing my insurance was due but none of the big nationals would recognise the certificate, some had never heard of it, tried through the IAM recommended insurer but they were about the dearest quote I got. Never bothered to mention it after that.
When I retired in 2007 I made enquiries with the same local group about doing some observing but was told I would have to resit the whole test again.
Still a member of the national IAM organisation but seriously thinking about dropping out, £35 approx. per year for a quarterly magazine is not really good value.

Tyneside

jakethesnake:

Rowley010:
Check out chris Gilbert or reg local amongst others on YouTube. Both ex police advanced driving instructors. Even just watching some of their free videos you’ll see it’s interesting, that you could potentially learn something, and it’s not just some geeky thing where people want to go and be judgmental on others. Any one who’s interested in driving and you’d assume most professional drivers are, should check it out. Your taught how to get the best out of your car whilst also reducing maintenance cost and being a safer driver at the same time, and maybe get reduced insurance. So it’s win win all round really. It’s a more relaxed way of driving whilst making maximum progress so there’s plenty of fun in there as well on a twisty A or B road.

I like your attitude Rowley. You seem to understand what it’s all about. Just a pity there were not more with the same thought process.

I have done many courses over the years including defensive driving (various courses including a 2 week skid instructors course which was fun but taught an awful lot) and have enjoyed most of them.
Yes you get the odd person who thinks they know it all (instructors and trainees) but they usually get their comeuppance at some point. :laughing:

Been very interested in it all for years, I’ve got a copy of road craft, check out these guys and others on YouTube. I’ve just never actually got round to doing a course. I’d really like to.

It’s the same system that police and paramedics have to drive to for them to be allowed to drive on blue lights and they have very few accidents, which shows it’s a much higher standard of driving and observation than most.

ROG:

Nite Owl:

Local COOP depot offered their LGV drivers an IAM course which many took up
I went out with all those that took up the offer
They arranged a delivery run out starting about 9am and finishing about 2pm
Out bound I advised on what was needed - in bound I did a pre test assessment
Every one was put in for test after that drive
Police examiner tested them on a saturday morning for 1.5 hours
All passed first time

Rog,im probably making an assumption here thats totally wrong,but,does Rog equate to roger,and if so,were you the Roger that put the Shell Jarrow drivers through the iAM course circa 1990 ish?

yourhavingalarf:

jakethesnake:

This one…

Didn’t get the memo.

youtube.com/watch?v=nGMHFL3Q_LM

No ‘‘lack of Police resources’’ there then eh? :smiley:
Obviously a priority case…must be on their way to nick a few drivers sipping their Costas. :unamused:

Yeh I know :blush: …but I really can’t resist. :laughing: :laughing:

Did my advanced driving with the fire service about 11 years ago. Commentary & all.
Has it made me a better driver.■■
Probably more aware…
The first thing they tell you on the course is if you think you are a good driver…YOU AREN’T.
And Im kinda of the opinion that if you think you know it all you are heading for a fall.

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk