Another shot

slowlane:
You can do any job you’re told to, or for the money, and hate it. What’s the point of living if you don’t enjoy yourself?!?!

I’ve worked in the City, I’ve got a degree in Economics, once I’ve had my fill of trucks I’ll probably go and do another degree or maybe get a masters in something. I want to live and work in another country or two.

The banks are filled with just as many moaning mertyls doing nothing to change their lot as haulage is. All it takes is a dose of bad luck and your “I’ll do something else later, once I’ve earned more money” plan turns to dust.

A lad I once worked with came from the city. He was burnt out by age 32, and said he preferred doing his night trunk because the stress levels were incomparable. He said he’d earn in a month what he could earn in a year driving, but felt it wasn’t worth it.

cutting the grass @ ■■■■■■■ mansion

slowlane:
You can do any job you’re told to, or for the money, and hate it. What’s the point of living if you don’t enjoy yourself?!?!

I’ve worked in the City, I’ve got a degree in Economics, once I’ve had my fill of trucks I’ll probably go and do another degree or maybe get a masters in something. I want to live and work in another country or two.

The banks are filled with just as many moaning mertyls doing nothing to change their lot as haulage is. All it takes is a dose of bad luck and your “I’ll do something else later, once I’ve earned more money” plan turns to dust.

Excellent last paragraph!

ringfur:

Trimming the bushes? :laughing:

slowlane:

I have the Economics degree too.

I avoided the city (Didn’t fancy London at the time) and spent ten years working for large food manufacturing companys. Big salary, big car etc. Always makes me laugh when people on here moan about long hours and nights away I was always at work and never at home. Add the stress from constantly increasing targets and idiot staff and there is not much time for life.

The Money … Well you have to have time to spend it. I just bought loads of crap i didnt really need clothes watches gadgets. Always spent big on holidays going out etc and wasn’t much better off.

At the end of it all a job is just that, for most its time spent doing something that you are forced to by economic necessity. How many would go to work doing what they do if they didn’t have to for money. I know I wouldn’t

truckyboy:
Ill tell you what i told my future son in law ( hope not ) but he left school /college with no qualifications, but thinks he can succeed in the city earning hundreds of thousands of £££s…thats what he keeps saying…and wants to Wear a suit says he…theses youngsters today havnt a clue…but there you go…anyway i told him to get ab job as a trainee train driver…they start at around £45 thousand…once fully trained…the money goes up to £60 grand a year…+ all the perks…free travel and the family gets a pass too…hows about that…beats trucking anyday…a schoolboys dream…well it was mine, just couldnt lift a shovel. :smiley:

No they don’t. Maybe with o/t…

:unamused:

Dozer driver,
It’s £26hr £200day on A14/M11 upgrade!!![emoji50][emoji106]

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Tapatalk

truckyboy:
Ill tell you what i told my future son in law ( hope not ) but he left school /college with no qualifications, but thinks he can succeed in the city earning hundreds of thousands of £££s…thats what he keeps saying…and wants to Wear a suit says he…theses youngsters today havnt a clue…but there you go…anyway i told him to get ab job as a trainee train driver…they start at around £45 thousand…once fully trained…the money goes up to £60 grand a year…+ all the perks…free travel and the family gets a pass too…hows about that…beats trucking anyday…a schoolboys dream…well it was mine, just couldnt lift a shovel. :smiley:

This is what I should have done my dad worked on the railway all his life and all I had to do to get a job was say which one I wanted but instead I went farming then into truck driving. Coming up to 5 years ago I managed to get a signalling job when in my 50s and although I now work shifts I enjoy going to work.

I always fancied driving a steam engine for British Railways but failed the medical.
My eyes weren’t far enough apart to see through the windows in the front of the cab…

Big Truck:
Dozer driver,
It’s £26hr £200day on A14/M11 upgrade!!![emoji50][emoji106]

Digger/dumper/tractor driver on earthworks will have new starts on £10hr+ a company car/van and enough hours to shake a stick at. And no ■■■■’s disguised in dvsa uniform to be seen.

As for another shot, im not sure id change much, im constantly bettering myself and slowly climbing the ladders which i want to climb. Making good decisions and working hard since i left school is going to see me mortgage free before im 30.

robroy:

ringfur:

Trimming the bushes? :laughing:

From what I’ve seen on the ■■■■■■■ channel there doesn’t seem to be a lot of topiary to trim

Big Truck:
Dozer driver,
It’s £26hr £200day on A14/M11 upgrade!!![emoji50][emoji106]…

Volvo A40D.jpg
I have always fancied a go in one of these just to see what the craic is but to do it as a living, im not so sure. I heard that the money was good but I always thought it was a closed shop, like the road gangs etc.

I had a lucky escape leaving the industry young enough to do something else at 22 just over 3 year ago.

Yeah the actual work I do is carp (factory drone) but I’d rather spend 36 hrs p/w doing carp work than 60+ hrs with nights out for worse money and much worse tc’s

The transport industry is on it’s arse tbh with no signs of anything changing

bullitt:

Big Truck:
Dozer driver,
It’s £26hr £200day on A14/M11 upgrade!!![emoji50][emoji106]…

I have always fancied a go in one of these just to see what the craic is but to do it as a living, im not so sure. I heard that the money was good but I always thought it was a closed shop, like the road gangs etc.

Think it’s not much bother getting a start when big road job is on and you got your dump Truck ticket.[emoji106]

Although my chosen career path fulfills all my desires and has me leaping put of bed with excitement at what the day has in store for me, I do sometimes wish I had done something different with my life. Unfortunately beyond sarcasm and a bad attitude, I have little else to offer any potential employer.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

AT 16 taken the job offered by my Dads mate as an apprentice plant operator as the next contract they went to after a year was in the middle east ,The "mate " worked over there for years before coming home loaded. OR finishing off my apprenticeship as a diesel mechanic instead o jacking after a year due to being broke on the wages.

axletramp:
I always fancied driving a steam engine for British Railways but failed the medical.
My eyes weren’t far enough apart to see through the windows in the front of the cab…

:grimacing:

the nodding donkey:

robroy:

eagerbeaver:
If I had my time again, I wouldn’t be a knob at school. I would have used the grey matter which I am fortunate to be blessed with to far greater effect.

Acting the clown and generally dicking around has meant that I now drive a lorry :frowning: I never knew what I wanted to do for a living, and if I was to be totally honest, I still don’t.

However, without wishing to sound like an elitist prick, I am seriously under achieving currently. Don’t know if it’s a mid-life thing, but I am starting to yearn for something far more rewarding and challenging. I ran my own business between 2003-2011, and to now have to put up with peoples crap is extremely frustrating.

Chasing the cash has lost it’s appeal :neutral_face: I have everything I want from a material point of view, it’s about time I started ’ enjoying ’ working. Getting home in one piece half the time in this job is a result in itself :unamused:

Sounds like a mid life thing ok bud, wouldn’t worry about it.
As for me I done ok at school, I was still ‘one of the lads’’ but I got the balance of dicking about and sticking in about right.
Yeh I done ok with exams, but still ended up driving, …but through choice.

In your case you’ve finally landed a job at the better end of the market, so you’ve done better than most of us, so if I was you bud, I’d settle for it and be content, safe in the knowledge that there are those with much worse driving gigs, on a lot poorer money. :bulb:
Jeez H…,.I should be the Trucknet resident ‘Agony Uncle’ :unamused: :laughing:

You’d be a rubbish agony aunt.

I aint that much of a driver either. :frowning:
:laughing:

calsdad:
At the end of it all a job is just that, for most its time spent doing something that you are forced to by economic necessity. How many would go to work doing what they do if they didn’t have to for money. I know I wouldn’t

For some time now, I’ve following various FIRE ( Financially Independent, Retire Early) blogs and websites and in that time various people have retired. Given that these people were particularly focused on finishing work, it’s surprising to find that there have been a couple gone back to work having missed the daily interaction and the structure of the day and a few others taken on a part time job in a different role/or found a small self-employment gig.

I could have retired sometime in 2016, but I keep turning in, mostly out of guilt.

albion:

calsdad:

For some time now, I’ve following various FIRE ( Financially Independent, Retire Early) blogs and websites and in that time various people have retired. Given that these people were particularly focused on finishing work, it’s surprising to find that there have been a couple gone back to work having missed the daily interaction and the structure of the day and a few others taken on a part time job in a different role/or found a small self-employment gig.

I could have retired sometime in 2016, but I keep turning in, mostly out of guilt.

Guilt? The famous “work ethic”?
If medicine tastes bad it must be doing you good?

Guilt or frit? Would the 21 year old you have the same qualms?

Quit thee maithering I know we drivers moan about EVERYTHING, tis true, but look at you!

All said with a huge grin, of course!

[emoji2]

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk