And we wonder why we have a bad name

yet another phone using moron

mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/fa … ar_twitter

Sadly this is unlikely to be the last case we will read about. Every day fools are driving around using phones with total disregard for anyone else.

How did we manage before mobiles? we used landlines and the job still got done.

That is awful

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=142929

Surely with the technology these days they can come up with a way to stop mobiles working whilst in motion. I don’t know, maybe unfair on passangers but to many people are losing there lives

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Mozza:
Surely with the technology these days they can come up with a way to stop mobiles working whilst in motion. I don’t know, maybe unfair on passangers but to many people are losing there lives

That’ll never happen what about passengers as you’ve mentioned or passengers of trains etc, they need to issue driving bans if caught let’s say 6 months for the first offence.

‘When Mees, who had only recently got his HGV licence back, was told the pair had died, he told a bystander: “For f***'s sake, I have only had my licence for a couple of weeks,”’

This bit left me speechless. That was his response upon being told he’d KILLED TWO PEOPLE!

bald bloke:

Mozza:

That’ll never happen what about passengers as you’ve mentioned or passengers of trains etc, they need to issue driving bans if caught let’s say 6 months for the first offence.

That’s where its heading. They want it on a par with drink driving so they have to put the punishment on a par with it

switchlogic:

bald bloke:

Mozza:

That’s where its heading. They want it on a par with drink driving so they have to put the punishment on a par with it

I think you`re right, but not at all sure when it will happen.

I can remember when older people, who had been driving before the breathalyzers introduction, were dismissive of the dangers of drink/driving. With time attitudes changed, now drink/driving is socially unacceptable, and the public accept and support harsher sentences. Because so many seem to use mobiles when driving I dont know whether the population will accept harder punishment yet?
Im not saying they shouldnt accept it, but at the moment too many think they are capable of driving and playing on their phones, as once too many thought a couple of drinks didn`t affect them.

What a terrible waste of two lives.

bald bloke:

Mozza:

The punishment isn’t the problem, the problem is the low risk of getting caught.

Mozza:

The best technology is to totally ban it from the cab. I carry a phone that is switched off in my cab at work, and that way even an incoming call/text cannot distract me with the flashing lights and jingly ring tones etc.
I can’t stand mobile phones and only carry one under protest as a “needs must” Emergency callout, as required by my employing yard.

I’d be quite happy to going back to “not taking one to work at all”…

Six years doesn’t seem enough for killing two people almost “deliberately”, bearing in mind he must have been tailgating the truck in front. :angry:

I wonder how many would still chance using mobiles when driving if the law says that the phone or sim will be confiscated as well as an automatic licence suspension for 28 days

muckles:

bald bloke:

Mozza:

The punishment isn’t the problem, the problem is the low risk of getting caught.

It should be easy to catch people I see it happening all the time, with drink and driving unless someone has had a skinful you’re unaware they are doing it.

I know I’m gonna get slated for this but I really think it’s getting ridiculous at the amount of things were being told we can and can’t do because someone thinks it’s wrong. Maybe it us wrong but every so often someone in government decides we need a new law cos if something usually high profile. How many accidents are there on the road and what percentage are actually and factually caused by this. I’m not condoning it any manner of means and like i said I’m gonna get grief for my views but they’re even telling us now we need MORE special kids seats to replace the already special ones we have, we can’t eat or drink while driving, can’t talk to people, can’t can’t can’t … personally I think there’s more accidents on the road because people don’t have any common sense anymore, we are continually having the decision making processes in our lives taken away from us so no need to think for ourselves. We used to deliver to places with a map in one hand and a bacon buttie in the other and there were probably less accidents than now by us as we had to think on our feet and took responsibility for the job we were doing.

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk

bald bloke:

muckles:

bald bloke:

Mozza:

It should be easy to catch people I see it happening all the time, with drink and driving unless someone has had a skinful you’re unaware they are doing it.

The difference is you’re out and about on the road all day, how often do you see a police car patrolling these days?

Girl went into the back of my car last week. She was on her phone. We was moving slow in traffic as well. Stupid ■■■■■ never even had insurance it turns out. New driver she was. Been to police station and filled out a form. Hopefully they ban her.

I use my mobile for co pilot truck. I see notifications pop up but I don’t interact with it until I’m parked up safe with the engine turned off.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

JaxDemon:
Girl went into the back of my car last week. She was on her phone. We was moving slow in traffic as well. Stupid ■■■■■ never even had insurance it turns out. New driver she was. Been to police station and filled out a form. Hopefully they ban her.

I use my mobile for co pilot truck. I see notifications pop up but I don’t interact with it until I’m parked up safe with the engine turned off.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

We got hit up the backside too from a young girl and the first thing she said when she got out was “I wasn’t looking at my phone honest” but she was as my missus seen her keep looking down towards her lap in the rear view mirror.

I got rear-ended by a woman in 2014 who straight away blurted out that “She’d dropped her contact lenses” which only then made me think “I bet she was on her phone…” I hadn’t filmed it in any case, and didn’t really care as long as she or her insurance company were paying for it.

I got an offer to “make it right” - and I suggested that if “anyone wanting to admit fault offered the excess of their policy right then and there in cash - that person’s insurance premiums would never increase”.

I only drive old bangers, so suggested £50. Not having it though, she insisted upon putting it through her insurance company instead, where I got a £165 payout, and no doubt a greatly increase premium upon her to pay for that.

Dunno how these people think - I really don’t. :unamused:

The main problem as I see it is the level of policing is a joke, its all well and good having laws against the use of mobiles if you don’t have the means to enforce these laws these tragedies will continue.