And we wonder why people don’t like us [Merged]

milesahead:

drover:

DickyNick:
Plenty of trucks trundle along at 50mph when they could go faster and that’s ok? So why can’t a car trundle along at 50mph if they choose to without trucker drivers getting their knickers in a twist about it saying it should be illegal?

How do you know they could go faster? Lots are restricted to a speed less than 56.

Motorways are for motoring ie getting there quickly, if you want to drive at 50 stick to the A roads simples…

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

This is just your wish and has nothing to do with reality, if someone wants to drive 50mph on a motorway, they still can do this. No one should be pushed to drive faster than they feel safe, and there are official rules to support this.

Sent from my HUAWEI LYO-L01 using Tapatalk

And there are official rules that state you should make best progress as the conditions allow and not drive in a manner that affects other road users, again 20mph under the limit when conditions allow you to be closer to the limit will give you a big fat F on your test

OMG this again and all the different theorys most of which are incorrect. The fact of the matter is in this case the lorry driver was totally out of order.
No matter what any vehicle is doing (right or wrong) this type of driving is completely unacceptable and gives all the decent drivers a bad reputation.
Sadly it has become far more prevalent on Britain’s roads in latter years.

trevorking1964:
I’ve said it before, some horrible people on this forum.
I’m on several forums and have never experienced the same level of these sort of people anywhere else on a forum.
Some of the responses on this thread are just horrible.

+1

I notice this too.

Plenty of professional drivers don’t seem to understand that they must give way to traffic already on the motorway yet they don’t they just come speeding down the slip road to bully their way into lane 1. Have you thought this is way a car driver might move out necessarily in fear of being flattened by a truck with no care in the world? Another situation we bring in ourself by poor, dangerous and inconsiderate driving because we are in the bigger vehicle. Weak little men who feel superior while they are higher up the an everyone else.

How very true.

Most lorry drivers wouldn’t have done the tailgating flashing routine,

Years ago I would agree with you but there are far too many that would nowadays. Within the last year I have driven the length of the country in a car several times and it is a fairly common sight to see a lorry far too close to the vehicle in front. I would say it’s not so noticible whilst driving a truck but in a car you see it far too often.

jakethesnake:
Most lorry drivers wouldn’t have done the tailgating flashing routine,

Years ago I would agree with you but there are far too many that would nowadays. Within the last year I have driven the length of the country in a car several times and it is a fairly common sight to see a lorry far too close to the vehicle in front. I would say it’s not so noticible whilst driving a truck but in a car you see it far too often.

Agreed there’s too much of it, but when tailgating is performed by steering wheel attendants (lorry drivers do not do this) it sticks out like a sore thumb, and i still think there’s more responsible drivers out there in wagons than the other sort, though i agree the percentages are changing the wrong way.

I’m left saddened, disgusted and slightly angry by some of the vitriol being expressed relating to the incident described. I’m quite happy to accept that some of it is in jest or a wind up but equally much of it is what it says on the tin. This incident is primarily about bullying with a secondary contribution of road rage. However there is also a worrying element of a lack of situational awareness and a refusal in comments to appreciate how, quite frankly, scary it can be on a motorway in small car…possibly we all drive large saloons or people carriers?

Maybe we long distance drivers need to realise that local drivers might have a better awareness about which junctions are a bit worrying to use and particularly to pass. There are plenty of them around the network, some with short acceleration lanes, some with angled approaches, some which allow traffic to join either slowly or very quickly, some with a poor view of potential joining traffic on approach in lane 1. The same applies to service areas, so many accidents happen at these two locations, yet there seems to be a lack of thought about the extra care needed by the through traffic to pass on-slips safely. Yes of course some car, van and lorry drivers either bully their way on or enter at warp factor nine … and yes, some cars enter too slowly. Maybe we forget that we cannot see necessarily the traffic in lane two from the acceleration lane easily, at least until we are an appreciable distance along it.

We should all know the following and more but it seems our presumed hatred of car drivers chooses to ignore it. What is scary in a small car? being surrounded by large vehicles, having a large vehicle close behind, having ANY vehicle close behind, overtaking any of several closely spaced lorries which are in lane 1, doing the same when lane 3 is busy and traffic in lane 2 is only slowly overtaking lane 1, being anywhere near a lhd large vehicle or being slowly overtaken by a large vehicle. All of this is even more worrying in clouds of spray coming of large vehicles and doubly so if our concern is that the traffic is going too fast for the conditions.

So from what we should have been aware, ( Fire service : RTC casualties can quite often survive a 60 mph crash but not a 70 mph one) and from our experience, what are we telling those we love to keep in mind? Keep well clear of large vehicles and especially lhd ones. Check HGV for foreign number plates. Don’t drive alongside a large vehicle, move out to lane 3 if possible to overtake a line of lorries because one may just pull out suddenly. If forced to stay in lane 2 in those circumstances then never get in the o/s blindspot, hang back in mirror view. Take great care at on-slips… move out one lane to protect yourself when passing and here’s the rub… do it early. Why? because as HGV drivers we get frustrated when cars prevent us from getting into the r/h lane at offslips etc… so do it early. (But we forget that driving our hgv as microlise etc demands, we use the auxilary brake to slow down and that means we are taking longer in our approach and that is frustrating to drivers of other vehicle types).

So 50 mph is slow, but there are on slips where we are entering the traffic in lane 1 more slowly than that. So we expect traffic in that lane to accommodate us by either giving way or moving over to lane 2. It would follow on that anticipation would prompt the more alert through traffic driver to have already moved into lane 2. S/He could well even have moved there before reaching the off slip in an attempt to reduce the chance of a late leaver diving in front.

I’m very tempted by the contention that HGV are underpowered and that is contributing to this, to argue the exact opposite, that the excess power of today’s vehicles and their improved braking performance has been accompanied by a serious decline in heavy vehicle driving standards, that being because we no longer anticipate the potential actions of other vehicles while cocooned in our quieter, more comfortable, loftier, safer cabs. We no longer sense the sheer physical effort required by the machine to deal with the weight being carried. This clearly also is indicated by the fact that we would never have merely sheeted a load some 40 years ago and expected it to remain in place. A few days in a fully loaded vehicle of the period would be an eye opener into our sadly diminished abilities.

And we wish to class ourselves as skilled workers?

Great post cav551.

I don’t think it is banter and joking by some on here, I think this forum has some of the nastiest pieces of work I have ever come across. like pack animals with no sense and certainly no pride. When someone quoted to me that they defrost meat in the sun in the depot then load it up into another fridge unit, then to come out with remarks like they are not concerned with people becoming sick as its not their problem, it is no joke and certainly doesn’t sound particularly clever to me. This is yet another example of a professional driver, experienced, I think not. Standards have not only dropped but are dropping daily. Sooner self driving trucks are developed the better for all.

Mazzer2:

milesahead:

drover:

DickyNick:
Plenty of trucks trundle along at 50mph when they could go faster and that’s ok? So why can’t a car trundle along at 50mph if they choose to without trucker drivers getting their knickers in a twist about it saying it should be illegal?

How do you know they could go faster? Lots are restricted to a speed less than 56.

Motorways are for motoring ie getting there quickly, if you want to drive at 50 stick to the A roads simples…

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

This is just your wish and has nothing to do with reality, if someone wants to drive 50mph on a motorway, they still can do this. No one should be pushed to drive faster than they feel safe, and there are official rules to support this.

And there are official rules that state you should make best progress as the conditions allow and not drive in a manner that affects other road users, again 20mph under the limit when conditions allow you to be closer to the limit will give you a big fat F on your test

I agree with that, when you are on the test, but you don’t drive like on the test all the time, every day is different. You passed your test, it’s done, after that point everyone starts to gain confidence and it takes some time, for everyone it’s different, could be longer, could be less, and last thing you need is some maniac tailgating, flashing lights and blowing his horn because he thinks that he is top of the range and someone is not…

In a job where “Patience” and “Waiting” and “Taking your time to make sure you get it right” makes for common sense,

…it is amazing how this “Life and Limb Premium” just doesn’t seem to be observed by all-too-many drivers, especially these days, with complacent drivers coming back onto the roads thinking that “All the idiots are gone now”…

NO you chump! - The idiots are now the MAINSTREAM - of which you are PART if you think undertaking on roundabouts, third-laning, and blowing your horn in the middle of the night is going to make you any friends..!

DickyNick:
Dear oh dear. It’s a serious question that I’m struggling to see an answer to. If all you lot think a car driving at 50mph is dangerous, illegal, against what the Highway Code says, and a test fail then why is it ok for a truck to do it?

Trucks are limited. Nothing the driver can do about it.

WheelsofCardiff:

DickyNick:
Dear oh dear. It’s a serious question that I’m struggling to see an answer to. If all you lot think a car driving at 50mph is dangerous, illegal, against what the Highway Code says, and a test fail then why is it ok for a truck to do it?

So bright spark why is it unsafe for a car to travel at 50 mph (according to the many on here) yet safe for a truck? :unamused:

jakethesnake:

WheelsofCardiff:

DickyNick:

So bright spark why is it unsafe for a car to travel at 50 mph (according to the many on here) yet safe for a truck? :unamused:

It is unsafe for any vehicle travelling at a considerable lower speed than most surrounding traffic - to start changing lanes for no apparent reason, as if driving “erratically”.

This kind of thing - can easily lead to accidents where a frustrated driver behind - decides to overtake at the worst possible moment, such as passing a slip road, a white line, some green reflectors, or any other excuse for slower traffic to weave about…

It isn’t the 50mph - it is the erratic, unanticipated NEXT move that is the danger. :bulb:

I can’t be bothered with road rage, if something holds me up for a few seconds I genuinely can’t be bothered to muster a response, the auto cruise has picked it up, slowed me down, and will speed me up again after the event or until I find a way around it. What is there to get angry about?

jakethesnake:

WheelsofCardiff:

DickyNick:

Think we’ve been here before Jake. :unamused:
Just cos it’s legal and she’s doing nothing ‘wrong’ does not make it ‘safe’ in real world.
As said earlier, it’s perfectly legal for me to ride a bike on the busy A66, but my better judgement would tell me it would be unsafe, so I wouldn’t do it.

A truck depending on power to weight ratio (I don’t need to tell you this ffs :unamused: ) will often be travelling at 50 on a m.way, a car travelling at 50 on a m.way is 20mph below the legal limit (and rightly or wrongly 30 to 40 below 95% of the other cars) in my book…unsafe.
(Please don’t come back with the limit not target crack either, I get it.)

If that was my Mrs travelling with her ‘‘colleague’’ in the middle lane at 50, I’d be getting her to have a word, find a different method of getting to work, or both.
Btw the trucker is/was a prick for using his truck as a threat…end of.
6 of one and half dozen of other.
You’re welcome. :sunglasses:

As I have said before it’s not the generally the car traveling at 50 mph that is the problem. It’s the way the drivers round about the car that are sometimes the problem.
Lack of anticipation and lack of separation distance causes more problems than any vehicle doing 50 in the inside lane. I think you would agree it was never really a problem in pre limiter days.
And that brings me to the real reason why lorry drivers don’t like cars doing 50. It’s an awkward speed for a lorry and if they come across that said vehicle they either have to lift off (which is unthinkable for some of the clowns) or overtake but that can be a problem in itself as drivers in lane 2 can be all far too close together hence they can’t move out.

I could understand car drivers saying a car driving at 50 was dangerous but most truck drivers say it because it does not suit them.

PS I have some classic and vintage vehicles which really are not happilly capapble of travelling more than 50. Would I take them on a motorway and sit at 50.
Not a chance but if I did it would be in the inside lane and I almost guarantee it would be trucks rather than cars driving dangerously close behind me.

jakethesnake:
I could understand car drivers saying a car driving at 50 was dangerous

:open_mouth:
:unamused:

R420:

jakethesnake:
I could understand car drivers saying a car driving at 50 was dangerous

:open_mouth:
:unamused:

Come on R420, gis a clue of your thoughts instead of silly faces. Its open for discussion but as usual…

jakethesnake:
As I have said before it’s not the generally the car traveling at 50 mph that is the problem. It’s the way the drivers round about the car that are sometimes the problem.
Lack of anticipation and lack of separation distance causes more problems than any vehicle doing 50 in the inside lane. I think you would agree it was never really a problem in pre limiter days.
And that brings me to the real reason why lorry drivers don’t like cars doing 50. It’s an awkward speed for a lorry and if they come across that said vehicle they either have to lift off (which is unthinkable for some of the clowns) or overtake but that can be a problem in itself as drivers in lane 2 can be all far too close together hence they can’t move out.

I could understand car drivers saying a car driving at 50 was dangerous but most truck drivers say it because it does not suit them.

PS I have some classic and vintage vehicles which really are not happilly capapble of travelling more than 50. Would I take them on a motorway and sit at 50.
Not a chance but if I did it would be in the inside lane and I almost guarantee it would be trucks rather than cars driving dangerously close behind me.

My answer to your first line would be…
You are correct, but it’s the car at 50 that initially causes the problem. :bulb:

I know it’s legal etc etc, :unamused: , and that he has a right to travel at 50, blah blah… but seriously Jake why tf would anybody want to sit at 50mph in a car, when virtually every other car is travelling at 25 to 30% faster (think I’ve got that right, maths ain’t my strongest talent :smiley: ) and where bloody great massive and heavy trucks (sometimes with inept drivers unfortunately ) are being baulked up and wanting to get past, unless of course the adverse conditions determined it…it’s hardly the most streetwise thing to do in terms of self preservation now is it? :unamused:

I’ll totally shut down your usual argument technique here by saying…
‘‘DON’T come back with xxxx shouldn’t be doing this and yyyy shouldn’t be doing that’’
That only applies in your Nirvanic land of ‘Roadsafetyville’, and I get all that.
But like I I said…Streetwise survival, if you do not adapt to it out there you’ll end up maybe dead.
Leave it to your Old Bill mates to police it and sort it.
Cheers.