An original Friderici K100 under restoration

Evening all, Kenworth Aerodynes, and the “Trans Orient” version, (as shown in En Tour Age`s pictures)… I wonder if any Trans Orients were ever sold into Europe?

Would you all excuse me a little diversion around the “scenic” route, (again), on the KW K100s, in Europe? For my little grey cells have been working around this scenario for more than 24 hours!

Forget any that I , or anybody else imported…semi, or totally worn out examples from the USA…but what of a brand new K100 Aerodyne? Did anyone? And when?

But of course, and it was a Frenchman, Michel Gaillard, from Issoire, (south of Clermont Ferrand, and west of Le Mont Dore), in the beautiful Auvergne…(.whose inhabitants speak in an accent so far removed from" Parisien French", as is our native Black Country dialect from BBC English)!

Now Michel really enjoyed the idea of a US bit of iron for use in his Livestock Haulage business, back around 1980. So together with his son of 12 years Yves he travelled up to Paris to examine a used Mack that Soc MABO had available for sale…but it was a “dog”…perhaps a new one?..but somewhere between a willing customer, and a needy seller…communication broke down!!! So the Gaillard Mercedes and two sad occupants drove south empty handed!

But in 1981 Michel arrived in the USA, to do business! The net result was a K100 Aerodyne, twin Turbo 14 litre ■■■■■■■ @475hp, Spicer twin plate clutch, Fuller RTO 1213, driving through to a Rockwell SQHP 3.90 ratio, 18 ton bogie on KW Torsion bar suspension, (18 ton rated, with a 65 ton capability), alloy Budds, running 22.5 1200 Michelin XZAs, with two 243 litre alloy tanks, Jacob engine brake and full KW V.I.T. red Naughyde interior,(not like En Tour Ages picture…imagine a full button “Chesterfield type” interior)!!

So how do you get that into Europe?

First you get the French Ministry of Mines to agree that the USAs Californian emission regulations approval is acceptable in France…then…you ship ex West Coast USA to the UK!..for the ever obliging ■■■■■■■ in the UK to grant Homologation to the 14 litre twin Turbo…that done its off to La Belle France…and the Ministry of Mines…(perhaps Mantlery)?.. then a final approval from Frances ,(lethargic) Paccar Importer, Servanin at Lyon, and then the 5 colour Du Pont Imron painted Aerodyne went to Issoire, and work!!!

But she did not…the ■■■■■■■ exploded!!!

Reputed a problem between the Jacob brake installation, but a problem indeed…and a new “lump” was provided…of course!

Then Michel had perhaps the most spectacular “betaillere”, (cattle lorry), in France…475hp, at a road ready 7900kgs!!! And a delightful 13 speed Fuller to row it along!

I believe that Michel now has the French concession for KW products in France…and its frightening to calculate that the "lorry mad " Yves, must be at least mid 40s! Gosh, Im getting on now as well!

But Michel endeavours highlight a startling anomaly in our, “Common Market”. So you, Mr Haulier wish to operate a US bit of kit, and a brand new one at that…In the UK, the answer, (of course), is NO!!!

In France, well it is perhaps…leading to OK!! Those of you who traverse the French roads, (and the container Ports), will know well what can be registered in La Belle! In my last years with lorries, I was importing all types of , (then), current kit…straight to France, where I could register it, (and it will cost you to explain how)!! Then a personal import into the UK, or any other European Country.

But it, “gets my Goat”, that the individuals in Bristol, and Swansea, just deny any UK operator “his” individual choice of vehicle…and blame “European Legislation”,…its not…but it is their own non politically sanctioned interpretation of legislation that denies the individual…his individuality…

Told you it was the scenic route!

Im away to the Bollinger to dream of what I could now register and use…even if my Arthritis would not let me climb into that 108in cab!

Cheerio for now.

I don’t know what happened here, I’ll give it another go.

Jeff…

Here you go Saviem I think this is more like what you mean by stud and pleat Naughhide.

not in an Aerodyne but a 650.

I was last man in the door this week and all the K series were gone by the time got in so I had to take the 650.

Here’s a shot of the legendary Kenworth cab suspension… big bolt through a rubber block on the chassis…

Jeff…

Some highlights on the dealer and importers for Kenworth:

From about 1978 Paccar AG (I don’t recall being Swiss or German) had a succursale in Brussels which
should have lasted till the moment that Kenworth/Paccar started more internationally in Strasbourg
then servicing France, Germany, Belgium, Holland, Spain and Italy. Switzerland was soon after the
purchase of 15 K100’s well covered by Friderici of Morges. As Saviem told us for France Michel came
in after his start with a Kenworth order in the US. In Germany Willie Klekamp of Hasbergen (region
of Osnabrück, North-West Germany) started trade/commerce in 1989 for Paccar, but soon other US
products followed, like Freightliner and Western Star (both from DB-stable) and Detroit Diesel.

He has a nice german/english website www.klekamp-us-truck.de

Alex

M&C Jamie:
I remember this one sitting outside the police control point, where you had to report and be measured and inspected for the abnormal load permit, just a few kilometers inside Iran. He obviously had some kind of problem as it sat there for a few months.

Regards Jamie

Just discovered same vehicle from a different angle with the F261 Henschel of 1973

Interesting stuff. I would have thought the Trans Orient cab was developed with the Europe to Middle-East run in mind; as quite a few other manufacturers (including Saviem) were producing Middle-East ‘specials’ for long-haul work at that time. The subject is probably worthy of its own thread! Robert :slight_smile:

@Robert: if you’re considering that, first also have a look on www.middenoostenchauffeursnederland.nl

I have bee told by A-J your Dutch is good!

Alex

Apologies for the Redcap-ERF were/are not needed and I understand the confusion/mix-up as a lot has
been posted since the first page of the 7MW-thread

En-Tour-Age:
@Robert: if you’re considering that, first also have a look on middenoostenchauffeursnederland.nl

I have bee told by A-J your Dutch is good!

Alex

Apologies for the Redcap-ERF were/are not needed and I understand the confusion/mix-up as a lot has
been posted since the first page of the 7MW-thread

Bedankt Alex; heel interesant om te lezen! Robert :smiley:

@Saviem…as you will/ought to know…the ORIENT-version was to attract drivers as also DAF did by
persuading Afghan International (Van Gend & Loos, DAF and Philips, through Business Logistics Systems)
with an order for 50 FT2800’s and Eurotrailers! Only 10 were granted and DAF did await money years!!!

Found a picture of the Kenwort Europe location in Strasbourg. Friderici was in charge for Switzerland

Perhaps an answer to the question in what way US-tractors and EU-tilts match?

Shown here a (Dutch) Pacton tandem widespread with Friderici’s #95 KW 6x4

ERF-Continental:
Perhaps an answer to the question in what way US-tractors and EU-tilts match?

Shown here a (Dutch) Pacton tandem widespread with Friderici’s #95 KW 6x4

That trailer axle set up makes no sense in any case.It just makes the front trailer axle even closer to the pin thereby making less load deck space to keep the weight where it’s needed in front of the pivot point created by the front axle.The result inevitably being more difficulty in stopping the situation of too much weight on the rear trailer axle and too little on the pin therefore drive/s.

[zb]
anorak:

cargo:
Perhaps the trailer axle positions was to do with the road/rail regulations.
In 2000 I stayed with a Swiss family (in Nyon !!!) and they mentioned their latest referendum had prohibited all large transport from using the road network.
Semis had to uncouple and then swap to the rail system at the border where the trailer was suspended between rail bogies.

I guess the best compromise may be the Scandinavian version- a long-wheelbase 6x2 tractor, long-pin trailer and trailer axles in a position to place enough weight over the kngpin. Tell me that this does not “look right”!0

Hey Anorak, that’s a good compromise, lots of countries used this lay out, look at the Turks, Eastern Blocks.
But two bad points were, long turning circle with tandem so far backward and big swing out of the front of the trailer.
Two axle tractors give always a driveaxle weight problem, but have more space between the wheelbase which is not to neglect for spare wheel and fueltank size.
So for me give me the 4 axle wide spread and 13 ton driveaxle and 40 on the ground. :smiley: :smiley:

Eric,

Nice set-up, as shown by A-J. But normal TIR lorries were not 6x4 but were 4x2 (preferably LWB). By today’s standards, the critical factor would be the distance between the back of the cab and the trailer for aero-dynamic fuel efficiency. Post 1970s it was not, arguably, necessary to send 6x4s to the Middle-East unless it was known that the destination demanded it (ie. it was off the black-top). Please correct me if I’m wrong. Robert

The Swedes (together with the Dutch) had solutions on the turn-radius as per attached.

HULO was also the inventor of the crane/hoist for handling bricks in a fast way.

For those who are interested in the background of US-configurations I strongly advice to read
the study for the TRED-foundation (Transportation-Research-Education-Development) from 1980.
Published by the WHI (Western Highway Institute) and extensive with regard to different configurations
like tractor-semi, truck-trailer, twin-trailer, rocky mountain-doubles, turpike doubles and triples.

I attach one of the overview-pages

A-J

Note: “impossible” to scan the whole study, but feel free if I can highlight some content

ERF-Continental:
For those who are interested in the background of US-configurations I strongly advice to read
the study for the TRED-foundation (Transportation-Research-Education-Development) from 1980.
Published by the WHI (Western Highway Institute) and extensive with regard to different configurations
like tractor-semi, truck-trailer, twin-trailer, rocky mountain-doubles, turpike doubles and triples.

I attach one of the overview-pages

A-J

Note: “impossible” to scan the whole study, but feel free if I can highlight some content

The main difference is that they’ve usually had far less of an aversion to cut in by putting their trailer axles in the right place as far back as possible as opposed to tail sweep with the trailer axles too far forward which has historically applied in Europe.The latter causing the worst of all worlds situation,at least in the case of artics,of too much tail sweep and weight distribution issues by lifting weight of the pin and putting it on the rear most trailer axle/s.

Although they seem to be moving closer to the Euro idea now in that regard in places like California. :unamused:

Their regs also allow for some good drawbar configurations.

hankstruckpictures.com/pix/t … r_pete.jpg

@Carryfast…I more or less agree…however with respect to all different situations (mind
weight, action-radius, conditions, type of roads, weather etc) systems need addaptions and
corrections. Why the axles of the trailers in US were adjustable…mind weight-limitations
per state (an overview can be given) and the same with the position of the 5th wheel regard-
less of the overall configuration (turnpike doubles or eu-type) and changeability within the fleet.

For Friderici possibly the 6x4 tractor for heavy transports was available to have the wide-spread
tilt for a local job…and so on…

A-J! You mentioned adjustable American trailors. I used to pull this American-built Strick frigo trailer in the early '80s (picture below). It had a rear bogie that you could adjust to become a wide spread-axle set-up if you wanted. I never saw it adjusted.

But all these adjustable items: sliding trailer bogies, sliding trailer pin, sliding unit turntable, unit turntable height etc etc were only any good if they were constantly maintained. When I worked for Breda Transport of Holland, I had for a while an Actros with an adjustable turntable height. If you didn’t use it every week it just seized up and became inopperable! Robert :slight_smile:

K100 tractor unit taken at Dublins Pandoro terminal. PHOTO DAVEY PAYNE