A11 Elveden Memorial layby - Bulgarian drama

The sad thing is they’re probably only earning £2 per hour.

I saw a young lady getting some interesting photos taken in front of that memorial one friday night ( when it was the old road) i would have offered to hold her coat if she had been wearing any clothes :smiley:

ezydriver:

Simply may be 2 p/h or some 400 before tax but get about 1200-15000 night out money.In most countries night out money about 50-70 per night.In England as well by statistic some agency Ltddriver get just 10000 per years(directort salary) but another 20000-30000 get via dividend .

Andrejs:

ezydriver:

Simply may be 2 p/h or some 400 before tax but get about 1200-15000 night out money.

15k night out money? I’d change the whole flipping engine, cab, and chassis rails for that! And I’d drag it out for at least 10 days.

ezydriver:

Andrejs:

ezydriver:

Simply may be 2 p/h or some 400 before tax but get about 1200-15000 night out money.

15k night out money? I’d change the whole flipping engine, cab, and chassis rails for that! And I’d drag it out for at least 10 days.

Yes 50-70 euro every day or about 15k-20k without tax can get drivers in most EU country.Now to many company pay not per km but simply per calendar day .Most 50-70 euro per calendar day after all tax.And not depend was drive 100km or 600km or stay at weekend.

Andrejs:
Most 50-70 euro per calendar day

When I said I bet they’re on £2 p/h, I was joking. But just over 2 Euros p/h is actually £2 p/h! Poor blokes.

ezydriver:

Andrejs:

When I said I bet they’re on £2 p/h, I was joking. But just over 2 Euros p/h is actually £2 p/h! Poor blokes.

Better then nothing

SouthEastCashew:

ezydriver:

Andrejs:

Better then nothing

Yeah, I guess you’re right.

ezydriver:

SouthEastCashew:

ezydriver:

Andrejs:

Better then nothing

Yeah, I guess you’re right.

Imagine how much they pay people to sweep the street’s out there o.O

Old John:
Some years ago, one of Eric Vicks drivers told me that he had been down in Spain with an ERF B series fitted with an 8LXB Gardner. The engine picked up on a piston, and the instruction from home was, head off, sump off, draw the piston, re fix the shell bearings to the crank with jubilee clips, reassemble, shut off the fuel to the bad cylinder and crack on driver!!

Early eighties I think. Just the way things were.

On the A52 at Ash Bank, S.O.T, a few years ago there was an Atkinson unit parked up with the sump and heads off and pistons lined up on the kerb, it was there for a couple of days with cones around it. Several gearboxes and diffs I have helped change in laybyes on BMC trucks back in the sixties, cheaper than paying for a tow back home and the work still had to be done in any case. Nobody thought much about it! :wink: Even in the eighties when working for Tilcon we changed several springs (a rear one on my Sed Ak on the A38 Bristol Road in Birmingham!) and rebuilt hubs with collapsed bearings at the roadside, and replacing broken propshafts on the Fodens with air assisted clutches was almost an everyday occourance on some of the hills around the Peak District! :unamused:

Pete.

Obviously a small outfit, the bigger ones have a more sophisticated approach - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D11Ws4KR0p4

Starting from 29.20

windrush:

Old John:
Some years ago, one of Eric Vicks drivers told me that he had been down in Spain with an ERF B series fitted with an 8LXB Gardner. The engine picked up on a piston, and the instruction from home was, head off, sump off, draw the piston, re fix the shell bearings to the crank with jubilee clips, reassemble, shut off the fuel to the bad cylinder and crack on driver!!

On the A52 at Ash Bank, S.O.T, a few years ago there was an Atkinson unit parked up with the sump and heads off and pistons lined up on the kerb, it was there for a couple of days with cones around it. Several gearboxes and diffs I have helped change in laybyes on BMC trucks back in the sixties, cheaper than paying for a tow back home and the work still had to be done in any case. Nobody thought much about it! :wink: Even in the eighties when working for Tilcon we changed several springs (a rear one on my Sed Ak on the A38 Bristol Road in Birmingham!) and rebuilt hubs with collapsed bearings at the roadside, and replacing broken propshafts on the Fodens with air assisted clutches was almost an everyday occourance on some of the hills around the Peak District! :unamused:

Pete.

Don’t talk to me about Fodens with air assisted clutches. I was in one with a 240 and the ■■■■■■■ thing was like a switch… on or off. Pulled like a train, bot boy was that clutch a bugger.

Was common place in the day to do roadside repairs, but then along came the elf’s n faffty rules and not forgetting the snowflakes who need everything doing for them nowdays, even asking what they need for a day run.

The oldern days of changing your own wheels, re-wiring a trailer with no lights, changing broken springs, are all now memory’s, thank foook for that, no more getting bloody wet n cold, or banking hot fixing a bloody old nail,

Old John:

Years and years ago my brother bought a Mk 2 Jag out the auctions - it had a misfire he couldn’t cure so he whipped the head off only to find a conrod and piston missing and half a rubber ball stuffed down the cylinder instead.

Those were the days - porridge oats in the gearbox and and womens tights wrapped around the crank and then put the shells and caps back on… :open_mouth:

Socketset:

Old John:

:laughing:

Years and years ago my brother bought a Mk 2 Jag out the auctions - it had a misfire he couldn’t cure so he whipped the head off only to find a conrod and piston missing and half a rubber ball stuffed down the cylinder instead.

Those were the days - porridge oats in the gearbox and and womens tights wrapped around the crank and then put the shells and caps back on… :open_mouth:

Sold many a car, with sawdust in the diff, cardboard/fiberglass floors and sills with layers of undersill on, kseal(radweld) in the coolant. The oldern days :laughing:

back in the eighties I had the ball break off of the clutch fork on a Bedford km on top of the hill outside Eastbourne, my brother brought out the parts from poole and overnight we took out the gearbox replaced the ball, we had a job getting the box back in as the jack was sinking in the grass verge so rope around the gearbox over the body crossmembers to the back and tied onto the Hillman minx lots of shouting and the box was in, cleaned up as best we could and I dropped down into Eastbourne about 03.00 found a carpark pulled up was not getting into the sleeping bag dirty so slept on the parcel shelf naked, when I woke in the morning I was surrounded with market stalls and had not put the blanket up to the screen giving a free show to all and sundry and lots of swearing from the stalls that had to move to let me out, and these were supposedly the good old days.

biggriffin:

Socketset:

Old John:

:laughing:

Sold many a car, with sawdust in the diff, cardboard/fiberglass floors and sills with layers of undersill on, kseal(radweld) in the coolant. The oldern days :laughing:

Bought a Mk 1 Trumph 2000 for £50 in the mid seventies when I was about 23 or so and unworldly :smiley: and I had had it for a few weeks when I slammed the drivers door shut one day and a length of marine ply fell off of the sill.

I could never see myself doing that.
Then again my firm pay me crap so why should I? :sunglasses:

My mate once brought a Sed Atk diff down to South Wales for me in the 80s where we (or rather he, I laboured for him) put it in on an ind est side road, but I wouldn’t like to try a grarbox on a hi tech modern truck though (even if I was capable, which I aint :unamused: )

Some of you clowns on here who slag off ‘‘ALL EEs’’ as crap drivers, while doing your 100 mile radius daily runs should be reading this thread eh? :bulb:

Good on the o/p for showing a bit of old fashioned driver empathy also.
(my Mrs made up a food pack one Xmas for a young foreign lad parked up in a lay by down my road over the 3 day Xmas period, which I dropped off for him)

‘Proper Drivers’ those 2, good on them, a dying breed.
More than I could ever do anyhow. :neutral_face:

biggriffin:

Yeh,.and I’m STILL trying to find you, You ■■■■ ! :smiling_imp:

:wink: :laughing: :laughing: