28 July Bridge strike M6 Closed jnc 32-33 Galgate both ways

Firstly, glad and amazed the driver is ok. Thank christ there wasn’t a passenger.

Now, has this actually happened yet, or is it happening on the 28th?

Also, I’ve a plastering and dry lining qualification. In my expert opinion, there is no reason why this repair can not be made with a bit of pollyfilla; sand to a smooth surface; skim all over and repaint. Good to go, STGO.

Got caught in this this morning, I’d just got past 31a NB when they closed it north bound after the bridge inspection, was going to Blackpool to look at a campervan.
What got me though was, when I was heading back at around 1pm, and bearing in mind it’s all over the matrix signs the travel news and on smart sat navs that update routes live, drivers were still happily joining the back of the queue and worse still, joining north bound at tickled trout ffs. Why was that junction even open NB■■?
I get that lorry drivers might have little choice ( M65 then A682 to the A65 on at J36 for those heading for the border might have been quicker than crawling past Garstang though? ) but for car drivers there were many other options, just lemmings that will no doubt take to twitter to complain about the “lack of information” and how they have no water etc. Try planning for the hottest day of the year and look at the matrix signs for the previous god knows how many miles.

Disclaimer: granted whoever does the matrix signs for ■■■■■■■ and Lancashire normally does the job of a blind chimp, they are usually an utter embarrassment, but for those going on holiday or to Kendal Calling they would be helpful…

albion:
First post says driver in hospital but OK.

That is an expensive trailer to write off.

I thought that when I first saw the photo…an Ekeri fridge, cracking kit, with a price tag to match :open_mouth:

Glad the driver survived though, one lucky chap / chapess …

Trukkertone:
from other sources , apparently there is dashcam footage from a following vehicle, showing that a blowout caused him to hit the bridge…

Was he asleep when this blowout happened?
I’ve had front steer tyre blowouts on a motorway and went no further than halfway across the next lane before getting the truck under control.

ezydriver:

biggriffin:
as long as nothing is going over that bridge, it’s fine

It’s refreshing to see TNUK’s resident civil engineers are giving their learned consultations for free. Faith is restored in humanity!

I did state in an earlier post, that the bridge was being held up(reinforced) to stop it collapsing by a new method the Volvo V4 support.

Rentadent:

Trukkertone:
from other sources , apparently there is dashcam footage from a following vehicle, showing that a blowout caused him to hit the bridge…

I’ve had front steer tyre blowouts on a motorway and went no further than halfway across the next lane before getting the truck under control.

If he was in the nearside lane then “halfway across the next lane” (it being the narrower hard shoulder) would be about where he ended up anyway?

Pete.

Stanley Mitchell:

albion:

I thought that when I first saw the photo…an Ekeri fridge, cracking kit, with a price tag to match :open_mouth:

Glad the drivers survived.

Itll no doubt be a schmitz though. They have quite a few.

Still not exactly cheap though, just cheaper then an ekeri

windrush:

Rentadent:

Trukkertone:

If he was in the nearside lane then “halfway across the next lane” (it being the narrower hard shoulder) would be about where he ended up anyway?

Pete.

Well I meant the first half of the lane not the other half, but each to their own, what’s happened has happened and the driver and Griffith’s will have to sort it out not us.

Rentadent:

Trukkertone:

All down to luck - you can get unlucky with one on the inside and it react against a suspension component.

Concretejim:

Stanley Mitchell:

albion:

Glad the drivers survived.

Itll no doubt be a schmitz though. They have quite a few.

Still not exactly cheap though, just cheaper then an ekeri

We’ve got a couple of Schmitz folding walls, about 8k cheaper than the Ekeri and we think the build is better, as does a subbie of mine that has both in his fleet.

Never really saw them being worth the price tag for reefer work, but it’s not my world.

biggriffin:
How can that bridge be unsafe, it’s got a Volvo holding it up.

NOT FUNNY IS IT. its a truck forum, Mr brill driver

Conor:

biggriffin:
As is the normal nowdays, massive over reaction when the elf"s n Safe show and their face, panic panic, as long as nothing is going over that bridge, it’s fine, or even open the other lane so it can get on.

Its got a big crack in the support, you can see it in the photo. If that lets go which could be caused by the vibrations of passing vehicles or even the bridge itself as it expands and contracts with the heat the whole bridge is coming down, not just one side of it.

I do not think big griff :unamused: understands sense so no point trying to educate him i hope its not him one day. :frowning:

manski:

Muckaway:
Miles of motorway and yet people hit bridges.

That’s very unfair, this guy’s truck has left the motorway for a reason that none of us know. Unfortunately he left the road just before a bridge and hit the supports, the consequences of which are massive compared with just getting stuck in the verge.

i agree manski.

Trukkertone:
very lucky to walk away from that …
hope he buys some lottery tickets at the weekend.

It can happen to anyone and you have a small amount of people on this site taking the ■■■■. truckers my arse IDIOTS.

biggriffin:
How can that bridge be unsafe, it’s got a Volvo holding it up.

silly lad, you got your fame for a few mins, yes BIG griff we no your here, i bet you have white powder on your face and a red nose, and maybe a burger and an inhaler.

Will_161:
A6 isn’t fairing too well at the moment.

I was in there somewhere. Delay cost me 1 hour southbound and four hours northbound.

Heard there planing to maybe pull bridge down overnight. Or make it safe. And they reckon won’t be done in time for tomorrow’s rush hour either. Hope I don’t get sent that way

Is it a disused bridge?

ezydriver:
Is it a disused bridge?

It’s a cattle bridge… Farmers gonna be a little miffed his cows can’t be milked in the morning!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

stuwozere1:

ezydriver:
Is it a disused bridge?

It’s a cattle bridge… Farmers gonna be a little miffed his cows can’t be milked in the morning!

He’ll have to spin his herd round at J33 then.