11 fined for ignoring weight limit

Eleven drivers admitted taking lorries with a plate weight of between 18 and 44 tonnes across the Norton level crossing which has a 7.5 tonne restriction.

Dan Alexandru Paslea, 38, of Chepstow Court, Darlington, whom York magistrates said had made a “genuine mistake” when leaving Lidl near the crossing after making a delivery there, was fined £120 with £142.75 prosecution costs and a £30 statutory surcharge.

The rest, who all pleaded guilty by letter and did not attend court, must now pay between £332 and £780.75 each.

Some of them claimed that they had not seen the signs warning about the restriction, that the signage was not clear, or that the alternative routes were too narrow for HGVs. Magistrates looked at photos of the signs at a junction near the crossing and said they were clear.

The remaining drivers were: Darren Wayne Dennis Anthony, 46, of Tattersall Drive, Beverley, fined £215 with a £30 statutory surcharge: Philip Charles Davis, 65, of Glebe Street, Castleford, fined £400 with a £40 statutory surcharge. Ian Denham, 55, of Park Road, Colton, Leeds, fined £440 with a £44 statutory surcharge: Colin Frank Imission, 49, formerly of Fitzwilliam Street, Barnsley, fined £288 with a £30 statutory surcharge: Dominik Marek, 35, of Alexandra Road, Grimsby, fined £461 with a £46 statutory surcharge: Sarah Jane McLoughlin, 50, of Snape near Bedale, fined £160 with a £30 statutory surcharge: Andrew Sanderson, 53, of Crown Close, Dewsbury, fined £580 with a £58 statutory surcharge: Nick Smith, of Penny Mews, Waltham, Grimsby, fined £461 with a £46 statutory surcharge: Darren Snook, 40, of Sussex Street, Cleethorpes, fined £415 with a £41 statutory surcharge and Russell Alexander Ward, 49, of Bacon Avenue, Normanton near Castleford was fined £420 with a £42 statutory surcharge…

All drivers were ordered to pay £142. 75 prosecution costs.

Altogether the 11 drivers must pay £3,960 fines, £437 in statutory surcharges and £1570.25 in prosecution costs, totalling £5967.25.

Anyone know as to why the fines vary so much ?

Punchy Dan:

Because there is very little consistency in the world of truck driving. You only have to read some of the posts on here to discover that.

Punchy Dan:

Perhaps sliding scale in relation to earnings

weeto:
11 HGV men in court for breaking Ryedale weight ban | York Press

Eleven drivers admitted taking lorries with a plate weight of between 18 and 44 tonnes across the Norton level crossing which has a 7.5 tonne restriction.

Dan Alexandru Paslea, 38, of Chepstow Court, Darlington, whom York magistrates said had made a “genuine mistake” when leaving Lidl near the crossing after making a delivery there, was fined £120 with £142.75 prosecution costs and a £30 statutory surcharge.

The rest, who all pleaded guilty by letter and did not attend court, must now pay between £332 and £780.75 each.

Some of them claimed that they had not seen the signs warning about the restriction, that the signage was not clear, or that the alternative routes were too narrow for HGVs. Magistrates looked at photos of the signs at a junction near the crossing and said they were clear.

The remaining drivers were: Darren Wayne Dennis Anthony, 46, of Tattersall Drive, Beverley, fined £215 with a £30 statutory surcharge: Philip Charles Davis, 65, of Glebe Street, Castleford, fined £400 with a £40 statutory surcharge. Ian Denham, 55, of Park Road, Colton, Leeds, fined £440 with a £44 statutory surcharge: Colin Frank Imission, 49, formerly of Fitzwilliam Street, Barnsley, fined £288 with a £30 statutory surcharge: Dominik Marek, 35, of Alexandra Road, Grimsby, fined £461 with a £46 statutory surcharge: Sarah Jane McLoughlin, 50, of Snape near Bedale, fined £160 with a £30 statutory surcharge: Andrew Sanderson, 53, of Crown Close, Dewsbury, fined £580 with a £58 statutory surcharge: Nick Smith, of Penny Mews, Waltham, Grimsby, fined £461 with a £46 statutory surcharge: Darren Snook, 40, of Sussex Street, Cleethorpes, fined £415 with a £41 statutory surcharge and Russell Alexander Ward, 49, of Bacon Avenue, Normanton near Castleford was fined £420 with a £42 statutory surcharge…

All drivers were ordered to pay £142. 75 prosecution costs.

Altogether the 11 drivers must pay £3,960 fines, £437 in statutory surcharges and £1570.25 in prosecution costs, totalling £5967.25.

oh just may be 1-2Europian but rest born here but broken rulles■■?

I wonder how many where actually delivering to sites in the immediate area instead of using the area as a shortcut, also how many of the former will have the penalties paid by their employer

peirre:
I wonder how many where actually delivering to sites in the immediate area instead of using the area as a shortcut, also how many of the former will have the penalties paid by their employer

Another point is had any of the road signs been tampered with by the village idiots?

nick2008:

Punchy Dan:

Yeah they base it on your income, the key is to inflate your outgoings and lower your income. When I went to court I based my earnings on a 40hr week (As was in my contract) instead of my 65hr+ I was doing at the time.

It was only shared on Facebook this week about politicians admitting it was a complete failure, it’s easier to go round than go through the town centre in a artic…

yt03:
It was only shared on Facebook this week about politicians admitting it was a complete failure, it’s easier to go round than go through the town centre in a artic…

Is that the crossing after the River bridge, that if you come of the A64 at the Malton turn to get to the bacon factory.

biggriffin:

yt03:

Is that the crossing after the River bridge, that if you come of the A64 at the Malton turn to get to the bacon factory.

That’s the one mate

I’m from Malton (although I don’t live in town any more) and this has created a major upheaval in town. They changed the priorities of two roads on one side of the crossing and then added the weight limit on the crossing as a so called ‘18 month experiment’.

It hasn’t been very well signposted and its not easy to avoid if you are already committed. Locals have been up in arms about it as its causing major traffic disruption and one of only two ways around this crossing if you need to get to a certain industrial estate goes down a narrow street past two primary schools. Imagine the chaos there at 3.30pm!!

Lonewolf Yorks:
I’m from Malton (although I don’t live in town any more) and this has created a major upheaval in town. They changed the priorities of two roads on one side of the crossing and then added the weight limit on the crossing as a so called ‘18 month experiment’.

It hasn’t been very well signposted and its not easy to avoid if you are already committed. Locals have been up in arms about it as its causing major traffic disruption and one of only two ways around this crossing if you need to get to a certain industrial estate goes down a narrow street past two primary schools. Imagine the chaos there at 3.30pm!!

You are spot on with the signs, I only know to stay away cause I’m sort of local… and yeah once you’ve committed you are pretty screwed

Back when wincanton ran the transport out of the bacon factory we used to take the back road into the factory thru Scagglethorpe, turning right off the A64 where the “Ham & Cheese” sign is. We also used to cause chaos running thru town if we ran in from Teesside down the B1257, most recently I’ve done a few trips up to the old westlers hotdog factory (now Malton foods). Going thru town to Westlers in an artic is a PITA especially if I run past the cattle market and turn right up the 1257. If anyone wants a chuckle take a look at the door sign on one of the houses on Middlecave Rd

yt03:

Lonewolf Yorks:

You are spot on with the signs, I only know to stay away cause I’m sort of local… and yeah once you’ve committed you are pretty screwed

When it was first introduced the only sign was the one at the start of the weight limit. Non on any approach at all. It took them months to put a few more signs up and even they aren’t in the most beneficial of places :unamused: .
We tend to go through Malton a fair bit, always to farms on the road to Hovingham and beyond. The quickest and easiest way was always over the level crossing and bridge and through the town centre. Now it’s past the bacon factory, on to the A64, back down through Old Malton and turn right past the school and industrial estate. A PITA at the best of times due to the narrow road. And to make it worse that road is now closed for 3 weeks so you have to go to the cross roads in the town centre and battle through there :imp:.
There is a simple solution to all this. Put a slip road off the bypass up on to the B1257. The land is there to do it and traffic will not need to go through town.
The funniest bit is that according to a mate who lives in Malton, it’s not the trucks causing the congestion but the trains. One train is bad enough but if there’s two in quick(ish) succession they don’t lift the barriers to release traffic. When they finally do it takes over 10 minutes for the queues to die down :unamused:. And this will only get worse when they start the direct trains from Scarborough to London.

Johneboy:
The funniest bit is that according to a mate who lives in Malton, it’s not the trucks causing the congestion but the trains. One train is bad enough but if there’s two in quick(ish) succession they don’t lift the barriers to release traffic. When they finally do it takes over 10 minutes for the queues to die down :unamused:. And this will only get worse when they start the direct trains from Scarborough to London.

This :unamused:

mrginge:

nick2008:

Punchy Dan:

Yeah they base it on your income, the key is to inflate your outgoings and lower your income. When I went to court I based my earnings on a 40hr week (As was in my contract) instead of my 65hr+ I was doing at the time.

Theyed end up owing me then instead then :laughing:

Apologies for the digression, but it’s interesting that of the 11 drivers, the youngest is aged 35, the next youngest is 38, and the others are 40+.

A couple years ago, at my last employer, I was in a drivers’ meeting one Sat morning and I was then 36, and the youngest of 22 drivers in that room. All others were 40+.

I memory serves me right if you go over crossing then turn right towards Stamford Bridge there’s a quarry up there. Makes it a hell of a diversion to goto York then back to Stamford Bridge and over top

Donnyboy:
I memory serves me right if you go over crossing then turn right towards Stamford Bridge there’s a quarry up there. Makes it a hell of a diversion to goto York then back to Stamford Bridge and over top

You’re right, that would be one hell of a diversion. But luckily one you don’t need to do :wink: .
To avoid the level crossing to get to the quarry (Watts if I remember correctly), then you need to get onto the A64 and come off it at the east side of Malton (Scarborough road). Then go down Scarborough road until you come to the the new T junction with the crossing on your right. Turn left and that takes you to the quarry. Unless I’m thinking of a completely different quarry in which case ignore everything I’ve wrote :smiley: