Info Required on 4X2 XF Daf SSC 04/05 Plate 530

Ive recently been given a Daf XF 2003 model with an as tronic box. Ive mastered it quickly enough but still cannot figure out what the “s” position on the control lever is for. Any help?

if you run the ASTronic in manual mode, the ‘s’ position is a function that will select the correct gear, i.e. if you approach a roundabout and don’t change straight away, instead of trying to change rapidly down the box 2 gears at a time, pull the lever to the S position and it will select the correct gear by block changing quite a few gears at a time

hope this helps :wink:

Yes thats really helped. Would never have figured it out but thats really useful to know. Thanks for that. :smiley:

you’re welcome :smiley:

Hi,

I’m looking to buy two more trucks and have been looking at 04/05 Plate XF Daf SSC 4X2 tractor units with the 530 engine 16 speed ZF Gearbox, but, not having run a Daf for many years, I need some advice ■■?

Looking for info regarding the 530 engine, is it a good lump ! what sort of fuel comsumption running at 40 ton to Spain, because
I have heard that they suffer from Head problems !

I would appreciate any information, be it good or bad.

Many thanks

JJSL

one for spanky i think… he’s had ssc xf’s for the last 5 years… apart from the odd other make he’s had he’s DAF thru and thru…

JJSL, we maintain a couple of 430’s & 480’s (03 - 55 reg) for a couple of local firms and they seem to be well on top of the job, the only head problems weren’t catastrophic, just a slight loss of water that worstened over a period eventually needing the head gaskets replacing. I’m not certain of the 530 though, a mate of mine had one a couple of years ago (owner driver) and always complained that it lacked grunt (for a 530!), needing ‘working hard’ to get the best out of it, he reconed the 480 was a better overall motor.

Good luck with your venture, Ross.

the head gasket problems with the DAF will happen to any of the BHp models, as they basically use the same block and heads

i have got 2 x 430, 1 x 480 and 1 x 530 XF SSC

the 430 does lack on power every now and again (well, it would seem that way after driving the 530 regular), the 480 does well all round with power and fuel, the 530 has plenty of power, but can be a bit thirsty on fuel

when the mags had the 530 on demo, they were returning fuel of between 7.5 and 8 mpg, in mine, i run at 52 mph and drive it carefully and according to the onboard computer i regularly get between 9 and 9.5 mpg

the issue with the head gaskets is down to the bolt holes in the block, they go straight into the water channels instead of being dead end holes, the bolts have got a sealant on them to seal the holes, but after a while, this cracks and lets water past, and it is the water that screws the head gaskets

shuttlespanker:
the issue with the head gaskets is down to the bolt holes in the block, they go straight into the water channels instead of being dead end holes, the bolts have got a sealant on them to seal the holes, but after a while, this cracks and lets water past, and it is the water that screws the head gaskets

Ths water whouldn’t get to the bolts if the gasket did it’s job, there have been a number of re-designs of the gaskets themselves but none have (yet) sorted the problem. That said, I don’t think we’ve ever done head gaskets on the later MX engine yet, so possibly they’ve cured it on the newer motors??

Ross.

bigr250:

shuttlespanker:

Ths water whouldn’t get to the bolts if the gasket did it’s job, there have been a number of re-designs of the gaskets themselves but none have (yet) sorted the problem. That said, I don’t think we’ve ever done head gaskets on the later MX engine yet, so possibly they’ve cured it on the newer motors??

Ross.

how do you work that out?

the head bolts go through the cylinder head, also through the gaskets into the block, the sealant is on the threads of the bolts which go into the block, water passes through the gaps in the sealant and screws the head gaskets

shuttlespanker:
how do you work that out?

It’s quite simple once you understand how the coolant and oil circulate through an engine. Take a look at a cylinder head gasket, other than the obvious holes for the cylinders there are smaller ones, some for coolant to flow between the head & block and others for the cylinder head bolts & others for oil. The coolant holes are the only route the water should flow and it’s water that’s leaked from one of these passages (between the head & cylinder block) in the gasket and found it’s way into the bolt holes & down the threads.

The water & oil holes on the gasket are identified by an obvious (circular) seal of PTFE which should keep the liquids where they should be and it’s only coolant thats already leaked past a failed gasket that gets into the head bolt holes which should be dry!!! If these were ‘blind’ holes it wouldn’t leak downwards but in all probabilities, would leak upward into the ‘rocker cover’.

The “sealant on the threads” is only a ‘■■■■ up’ to mask the symptom’ of water leaking into the head bolt holes where it WOULDN’T GET!! if the gasket was doing it’s job properly.

That’s how I work that out.

Ross.

shuttlespanker:
the head bolts go through the cylinder head, also through the gaskets into the block, the sealant is on the threads of the bolts which go into the block, water passes through the gaps in the sealant and screws the head gaskets

I’ve just re-read your post, are you saying that you believe the coolant water is meant to be in the head bolt passages?

Ross.

Thank you to all of you for your comments and info.

The Daf’s I’m looking at are both autoboxes and the fitters that I use, say these are not very good, but they are a ZF box,
and the 16 speed manual box was reliable, anyone with any problems with the autobox ?

Having again spoken to the Workshop fitters that I use, and they said stay away from DAF, and keep to Volvo and Scania, So
are DAF’s that bad or is it just that they are biased towards Volvo and Scania being better trucks ? there’s a lot of people
running DAF’s or is it that a 5 year DAF as already had it’s shelf life !!!

Regards

JJSL

bigr250:

shuttlespanker:

I’ve just re-read your post, are you saying that you believe the coolant water is meant to be in the head bolt passages?

Ross.

where the head bolts go through the head and the gasket into the threaded hole in the block to tighten them down, it is that hole that goes directly into the water channel, as in, if you take the heads off and look down the holes for the head bolts, you look directly into the water channel, the sealant on the bolts cracks and water gets passed, it comes up through the head bolt holes towards the head and gasket, when it reaches the gasket, it screws up the gasket

the water does not leak through the normal water channels in the head and block, it comes up from the block through the head bolt holes, gets to the gasket then goes sideways to escape

JJSL:
anyone with any problems with the autobox ?

None of the DAF’s we maintain have the ASTronic box but we have a couple of Iveco Stralis’ (05 & 55reg) of our own and neither have given any trouble, but we do maintain a Foden Alpha on an 05 that has had a controll unit, we also look after a couple of 03 Iveco’s and one has had a controll unit, the other needs one!! From Iveco these are around £4k but you can now get them from ZF at £1,500 for a re-con item.

One thing the ASTronic can’t handle is air problems, anything less than (around) 9.5bar and it doesn’t want to know, throwing up a fault code on the transmision indicator.

JJSL:
is it that a 5 year DAF as already had it’s shelf life !!!

As an owner driver my last truck was an XF430 that was 9yrs old when I packed in, the next owner ran it for a couple of years before it found its way to ‘The Dark continent’ where I’m certain it’s still giving sterling service. (I did the head gaskets while I had it and they were done again 4 yrs later by the bloke I sold it to)

From a personal viewpoint I would always choose a manual over an automated box, but I have to say that our Iveco’s are very relaxing to drive. (on the odd day I have to go out driving)

Ross.

the 530, 480 and one of the 430’s are all ASTronic boxes

also, i have a MAN TG-A 430 with the ASTronic box, same as the DAF

personally, i have found that the MAN is a smoother drive than the DAF

every now and again, there will be a transmission warning come up on the dash, simple fix is, build the air up to max, turn the engine off, remove the key and hold it as far away from the steering column as possible for 30 seconds, then restart, this will usually reset the computer

the 05 plate 430 with the ASTronic has just had to have a new clutch actuator fitted, part price £1032 + VAT :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: then the labour on top, not had a problem with the others (yet)

as for the ‘shelf life’ one of mine is an 02/52 plate, i have previously had a 1999 XF SSC (sold 2 years ago) that was 9 1/2 years old

shuttlespanker:
the water does not leak through the normal water channels in the head and block, it comes up from the block through the head bolt holes, gets to the gasket then goes sideways to escape

I see where your coming from and I will concede you could be right, next time we have one in bits I’ll take more notice.

Ross.

shuttlespanker:
the 05 plate 430 with the ASTronic has just had to have a new clutch actuator fitted, part price £1032 + VAT :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

The same part for an Iveco is £1,400, the release arm ‘cross shaft’ is about £20 from DAF, £86 from Iveco!! All identical ZF parts in DAF & Iveco bags.

Ross.

Well, thank you, Spanky and Ross,

That’s Great, many thanks to both of you, So, I think it’s now worth going to have a drive and inspection on these Daf’s and I will come back and let you know the outcome.

Regards

JJSL

where are you getting them from? what, if any warranty is there with the truck?

ask if the head gaskets have been done

change the air dryer cartridge regular to avoid any possible issues with air dryers or APU valves