Average annual mileage for HGV

Average annual mileage for a car is 12,000 miles these days - is there an average annual mileage for a HGV?
What is classed as a vehicle with low mileage or a vehicle with high mileage?

Ours do 80,000-120,000km a year on local work

100000kms is a good average for a fleet truck.
mine done 1200000 last year but it gets used on nights maybe once a week.

ours does about 20,000 miles a year, now thats a low mileage truck :sunglasses:

If a vehicle does an average of 50 mph, 9 hours of driving a day, 5 days a week, 48 weeks a year.
This works out to 108,000 miles per year.

As a working vehicle, is that would be what they are expected to do as an average? Or are my calculation way out?

Owner Drivers:
If a vehicle does an average of 50 mph, 9 hours of driving a day, 5 days a week, 48 weeks a year.

As a working vehicle, is that would be what they are expected to do as an average? Or are my calculation way out?

That sounds about right if you are running empty everywhere :smiley:

When I worked for my last long term employer I was delivering sheet steel and doing long day runs on a 6 wheeler rigid.

Annual mileage was 72,000 MILES for the truck
car was 8,000.

our’s have done 100,000 km already and we only had them just before xmas!!

the last week went – 50+ hour’s 2514km covered 422500 litre’s delivered, 808 litre’s used.
Mind they are out 24hour’s a day apart from sat + sun night.

i did around 70000 k last year

i would put mine at 50 k a yearish. thats localish work.

it’s an 04 reg deivered at the end of april 2004 and to date its done… 229937 k’s.

my unit is on 980000 kms on a 54 plate - average 196000 kms per year (121000 miles)

that’s a fleet motor that gets run day,night,24/7,365 days a year with the odd service and mot giving it a wee rest. ive heard some of our 54 plates in warrington are on 1.2/1.3 million kms.

supposed to be getting new units this year but its been cancelled because our site needs major drainage and resurfacing work so the units got cut out the budget this year :unamused: but hopefully i get a new one next year :smiley:

Our 07 plate coaches are on 580k

Owner Drivers:

thats actually a really tricky question. it would vary massively from company to company due to their operations. even disregarding international work you could have a company with both high and low mileage trucks. rank hovis had 2 trucks pulling curtainsiders but one went out on a night trunk as well as the day work so the difference between those 2 trucks would have been substantial had they been bought together. my local business post runs one artic locally during the day and then it covers 1000kms overnight too totalling around 5500kms a week. it is virtually impossible to decide on an average mileage for all trucks when the variable factors are so diverse :confused:

Government statistics had it average out at 60,000 miles per wagon in 2006, based on the total billion km travelled divided by the number of UK registered HGVs.

Since I started driving my present truck which was the start of Feb last year, I have done 113,627ks / 70,604 miles on day work. :open_mouth:

And I’ve loved nearly every minute of it. :laughing:

Not bad for a 8 wheel tipper eh.

My current truck, which I started driving from new last June has done 141000 Km as of this afternoon. It will be used tonight and by the time I finish my shift tomorrow it will have increased by another 1200 km or so.

So if you had a 3 year old ( just) vehicle that had 390,000 kms - would yo say that was a vehicle with average mileage, low or high mileage?

Mine is just over 2 years old,…it now has just under 250,000kms and has been used by me only apart from when i’ve been on holiday. :wink:

mines is double shifted and is an 08 plate today when i pulled the card it had 254300kms on the clock,
the unit i had before that was an 03 plate and was 21000 short of a million kms.

mine is 4 year old at the end of the month and i’ve done 468701km’s works out just under 120’000km’s a year