Sat-Nav for truckers

Hi people hopefully gonna be starting a new job soon on distribution work only got 3 years h.g.v experience and only one of those on class 1, and all trunking work at night time, so as you might guess don’t know my way round like some of you boys/girls do.
My question is:- Are there any decent sat navs around that are suitable for h.g.v drivers?
Iam thinking of buying the new syrius purely because its the latest technology could anybody advise me on this subject.
Thanks.
The whart.

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

I’m really struggling here… Someone say something quick !!! Arghhhhh!!!

Simple,
If you cant use a map , STAY AT HOME !!!

As far as I know there is nothing which takes bridge heights and weight limits into account, so it’s probably a case of using SatNav as an aid and not an instructor and being prepared to use it in conjunction with the bridge height atlas and to ignore it if it looks like it is leading you into hostile territory.

:laughing: :laughing: :imp: Not again

This is billed as a Sat-Nav with truck specific settings.

I don’t have one so have no idea what they are like, but a quick search on here will bring up some reviews.

Be warned though that there is a new model due out anytime and that will no doubt be more expensive.

Hope this helps.

Linux-user:

Reading between the lines, it’s only truck-specific in that it can calculate travel times using differing speeds. It doesn’t mention anything about weight and height limits. My understanding is that there is a truck-specific system in development but there is no release date projected at this time.

Thanks people. Just to clear things up i can read a map no problem just prefer not to do it WHILE IAM DRIVING, SWERVING ALL OVER THE ROAD OR STOPPING EVERY TEN MINUTES TO READ IT.
Also very sorry if you have had this conversation before but not all of us spend all day on here looking to have a jibe at somebody for a asking a simple question.
Its this bad attitude from some truck drivers who think they know everything that gives us a bad name, and why car/van drivers won’t give us the time of day.

WHARTY:
Thanks people. Just to clear things up i can read a map no problem just prefer not to do it WHILE IAM DRIVING, SWERVING ALL OVER THE ROAD OR STOPPING EVERY TEN MINUTES TO READ IT.
Also very sorry if you have had this conversation before but not all of us spend all day on here looking to have a jibe at somebody for a asking a simple question.
Its this bad attitude from some truck drivers who think they know everything that gives us a bad name, and why car/van drivers won’t give us the time of day.

hit, nail, head.

completely agree with ya mate :sunglasses:

WHARTY:

Before you start carrying on trying to make out that you’re so poor done to and don’t have the time to read all the posts etc etc :unamused: , if you open your eyes you’ll see at the top of the page the word SEARCH. It works exceptionally well when one types in the word SATNAV and it brings up over 13 million threads which have all been started on these forums in the past 7 minutes :unamused:. The same function also works exceptionally well with the words DIGITAL and TACHO as well. :bulb: :bulb:

Harry Monk:

Linux-user:

Reading between the lines, it’s only truck-specific in that it can calculate travel times using differing speeds. It doesn’t mention anything about weight and height limits. My understanding is that there is a truck-specific system in development but there is no release date projected at this time.

Could be, it was the result of a 2 minute interweb search.

I’ll try harder next time :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp:

Whats the problem, cant you look at a map, talk on a hanheld phone, eat yer lunch all at 110kph with full load of swinging beef and do an 18 - 20 hour day :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: Yea maybe sat nav handy at times :wink:

WHARTY:

I just don’t know why people post in this way you mention Wharty. I mean, if people don’t have anything to contribute, why don’t they just move onto some different thread where they do have something to contribute?

Having said that, I suppose you got the advice you paid for so just sift the wheat from the chaff and keep asking away if you don’t know something and want some pointers.

Rob K if i had known how to use the site properly i wouldn’ have asked the question in the first place, but then again i don’t pretend to know everything like yourself and those few truckers that i talked about earlier.
Anything that can make life easier at work then i am all for it lets face it what would life be like without ABS, AIRCON,ELECTRIC WINDOWS, AUTO GEARBOXES, CD PLAYERS,POWER STEERING.
All these things have been introduced to trucks and cars for ease of life and comfort, so whats different with sat nav.

How many times have we all been driving down the road and braked late or missed a turn because we are reading a map, how many accidents have been caused from people not paying attention to the road,how many people killed? if a sat nav can reduce all of the above and stop wasted miles getting lost then i can’t see why anybody would not use it.

As for feeling hard done by i have two cars(paid for) a brand new house (1year old) a fiancee (married 12 aug next year) and £400 pound spare to by a sat nav. Happy Trucking.

a fiancee (married 12 aug next year)

You must be minted if you can afford one of those :laughing:

WHARTY:
How many times have we all been driving down the road and braked late or missed a turn because we are reading a map, how many accidents have been caused from people not paying attention to the road,how many people killed? if a sat nav can reduce all of the above and stop wasted miles getting lost then i can’t see why anybody would not use it.

And how many times has satnav sent people down farm tracks, down roads with bridges that you can’t fit under and into villages in the back of beyond that are too narrow to fit the truck through? :unamused:

Satnav won’t reduce ANY of the advice and the sooner people realise this and stop banging on about it like it’s the best thing since the invention of the wheel, the better. :unamused: :unamused: :angry: :imp: :imp:

WHARTY:
Rob K if i had known how to use the site properly i wouldn’ have asked the question in the first place, but then again i don’t pretend to know everything like yourself and those few truckers that i talked about earlier.
Anything that can make life easier at work then i am all for it lets face it what would life be like without ABS, AIRCON,ELECTRIC WINDOWS, AUTO GEARBOXES, CD PLAYERS,POWER STEERING.
All these things have been introduced to trucks and cars for ease of life and comfort, so whats different with sat nav.

As for feeling hard done by i have two cars(paid for) a brand new house (1year old) a fiancee (married 12 aug next year) and £400 pound spare to by a sat nav. Happy Trucking.

definateley not an O/D then… :laughing: :laughing:

And how many times has satnav sent people down farm tracks, down roads with bridges that you can’t fit under and into villages in the back of beyond that are too narrow to fit the truck through?

To be fair how many times has a map stopped someone doing those things?

Any Digital or printed map is only as good as the person using it :wink:

SatNav if used correctly with a decent map and common sense is an invaluable tool! Its been said before, check the route it gives you, if it looks dodgy change it! :wink:

It also beats carring around tons of street maps for the whole of europe in my case!! :wink: :smiley: :wink:

WHARTY:
and why car/van drivers won’t give us the time of day.

Well now i am worried i could not care less what car or van drivers (lmao )think of me because i am the best :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
Rob it is not satnav that leads people down farm tracks it is the brain in the person that uses them

But it may be Rob